Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question for you pumpin' mommas

1. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!

Question for you pumpin' mommas

Advertisements
    From what I've read I can't really compare formula to breast milk when it comes to how much they are consuming, if I'm wrong about that someone please tell me. My question is how many ounces was your LO drinking and how often?

We are starting to do some sleep training soon and would like to give her more ounces but feed less often. I'm hoping this will help her sleep through the night. She's not a terrible sleeper but I'm heading back to work next month and I'm a little worried about that if I'm still only getting 4 hours consistently. She does sleep 5 hours some times, but it's still not an every night thing. The doctor told me that when she wakes up in the middle of the night to just comfort her and not feed. She said that Piper weighs enough and is old enough to be going 6-8 hours without eating. Right now she's eating 3 ounces every 2 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night. Starting today I'm offering her 4 ounces in her bottles and hoping this will help. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Wow At 2 months old you should still be doing 100% feed on demand. The dr doesn't sound like he has recieved any bf/feeding training.
    But to decided how much milk she need take her weight X 2.5 divide by how many feeds a day she does.
    Weight really has nothing to do with sleeping through the night, it's a milestone and a developmental thing, she will have to be ready to sleep.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    Wow At 2 months old you should still be doing 100% feed on demand. The dr doesn't sound like he has recieved any bf/feeding training.
    But to decided how much milk she need take her weight X 2.5 divide by how many feeds a day she does.
    Weight really has nothing to do with sleeping through the night, it's a milestone and a developmental thing, she will have to be ready to sleep.
    That's what I always thought too. Piper has been having some trouble sleeping so at her appointment yesterday I asked the doctor about it, and that was the advice she gave me. I wish babies came with owners manuals it would take care of soooo many unknowns.
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Oh a manual would be amazing
    Babies will sleep when they are ready, and they can very well regress and wake up at night again after sleeping through the night for months! 4 hours is great for 2 month old. I think my dd was 3-5 hours at that age. Don't try and make her eat more the. She needs at a time cause that can very well cause issues when she's older with over eating.
    Now if she was 6-10months old then I would say sleep training would be much more possible.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Babies will sleep when they are ready, and they can very well regress and wake up at night again after sleeping through the night for months! 4 hours is great for 2 month old. I think my dd was 3-5 hours at that age. Don't try and make her eat more the. She needs at a time cause that can very well cause issues when she's older with over eating.
    Now if she was 6-10months old then I would say sleep training would be much more possible.
    I always make her bottles with 3.5oz, some times she drinks 2oz and some times she drinks the full bottle. On average, she drinks 3oz though. I'm just putting 4oz in there to see if she went a little longer if she would need it. I'm terrified of stuffing her so as soon as she shows no interest in her bottle we stop eating.

I'm afraid I might try to sleep train before she's ready because I'm exhausted. I haven't yet, but the thought is definitely there. 6 months sounds much more reasonable than 2 months for sure!
  6. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    I always feed her at night if she cries. If she's only been asleep for 2-3 hours I will put her binky in her mouth and see if that puts her back to sleep (if it does she's isn't hungry, she was just startled awake.) but any time over 4 hours she is fed first. You can always try to put her binky in her mouth first, but IMO, if she doesn't immediately take the binky and go back to bed she's up because she's hungry, not that she just so happened to wake up.

At 2 months old Madison was waking twice in the night. She didn't cut down to one feeding a night until we started her on baby food. People say cereal helps but honestly, if I'm going to give her solids it's going to be fruits or vegetables. I don't care that she wakes up most night... she's a baby. That's what they're supposed to do.

As for upping her intake. Madison was at 4 oz at 2 months She moved to 5 oz around 3 months and has been there since. You'll know she's taking too much if she spits up more than usual. Typically, you don't really need to give her more milk per bottle feeding unless she is going less than 2 hours between feedings (or less than her usual gap).

be cool.
  7. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I agree with Mac on this.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Cameron was drinking about 2-3 oz when he was 2 months. He didn't start consistently getting 3 oz at a time until he was 4-5 months, and even then there were times he couldn't finish it all. On rare occasions he would drink 4-6 oz. Once we introduced the sippy cup at 7 months, he started refusing bottles, so I can't tell you how much he would drink now. He can chug his entire sippy cup of water though!

As for the sleep thing, since she's still so little, 4-5 hours may be all you get for the time being. At that age Cameron still woke up 3-4 times a night to nurse. Now at 10 months he's down to waking up once to nurse. He's been on solids since 6 months, and they do nothing for his sleep.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    What do you mean you shouldn't compare formula to breast milk as far as how much they eat? I know I have heard that in regards to BF from the breast since unless you weigh your child, you can't tell how many OZ they get. But as far as bottle feeding breast milk... they are comparable.

At 2 months (and until about 5 months) DS was fed on demand as much as he wanted. From birth he was feeding every 3 hours (on his own schedule) until about 6.5 months. Around 7 months we started stretching it out 15 min every few days until we got to feeding him every 4 hours, which is what he does now for the most part. As for the amount... I think around 2 months he was doing 3oz, about 4 months he was doing 4-5oz, and when we moved to every 4 hours he started taking 6-7oz.

As for at night... around 5 months we started trying to console him first, and if that didn't work we fed him 3-4 oz.
  10. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    My doctor had us sleep training (sorta) early as well. It did wonders for my mood and my PPD. At 2 months he did still wake up once or twice a night though no matter what we did!

I wouldn't increase the amount you're giving her per bottle if she isn't even finishing it all now. DS was at around 3.5-4oz a bottle until he was like 6 months old, but I guess every baby is different.