Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Staying the night away

1. Banned
    Banned

Staying the night away

Advertisements
    For those of you who nurse, when did you first spend the night away from your baby? I'm going to Salina tomorrow, and DH is adamant that I leave Cameron here in Manhattan so I can have a weekend to myself. I don't think we are ready to do that though. DH says I should just take my pump, and pump milk in lieu of nursing, but I don't think we have enough milk in the freezer to last us Friday evening-Sunday afternoon. I'm worried that if I leave Cameron here, he will start to wean, and I'm DEFINITELY not ready for that.

The only time we have spent the night apart is when I was in the ICU; and even though I pumped every 3 hours with a hospital grade pump, by the time I got home I was SO engorged. I'm worried that will happen again too. Even though a weekend all to myself sounds AMAZING, I don't think I can do it. When did you stay the night away from your LO for the first time? Did it have any effect on your nursing relationship? Am I just being a big baby about this?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I haven't yet and Aubs is 19 months old. She still nurses before she goes down and right when she wakes up, so I think that it would be hard on her. I'm probably just being paranoid or something, but yeah. I still don't feel comfortable doing it
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Banned
    Banned
    Cameron has a full meal in the mornings, sometime in the evening, before bed, and usually sometime in the middle of the night. Then he is constantly snacking. We have a big bag of milk in the freezer, but I don't think it is enough. I'm also kind of worried to see how he and DH would do. They haven't ever spent more than 4-5 hours alone together since DH is always working. I'm worried that DS will get sick of him and just scream and cry because he wants me, but I'm not there. I know Jason can handle it, but I would feel really bad if he had to deal with an upset, screaming 10 month old all weekend.

I'm kind of hoping that he will wean before the baby comes so I can have a weekend back home by myself, but at the same time I would love to tandem nurse, and I don't want him to wean. I'll get a weekend alone when the kids are out of the house, right?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    Cameron has a full meal in the mornings, sometime in the evening, before bed, and usually sometime in the middle of the night. Then he is constantly snacking. We have a big bag of milk in the freezer, but I don't think it is enough. I'm also kind of worried to see how he and DH would do. They haven't ever spent more than 4-5 hours alone together since DH is always working. I'm worried that DS will get sick of him and just scream and cry because he wants me, but I'm not there. I know Jason can handle it, but I would feel really bad if he had to deal with an upset, screaming 10 month old all weekend.

I'm kind of hoping that he will wean before the baby comes so I can have a weekend back home by myself, but at the same time I would love to tandem nurse, and I don't want him to wean. I'll get a weekend alone when the kids are out of the house, right?
    Do you think that might actually be part of it - maybe on top of wanting you to have time for yourself your DH also wants time with your son.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Do you think that might actually be part of it - maybe on top of wanting you to have time for yourself your DH also wants time with your son.
    It very well could be. But he's working tomorrow from 12-6, then 10 pm-4 am and Saturday from 2-8, then from 10 pm-4 am. Then he works Sunday too. On the weekends since he works both jobs back to back, he sleeps until he has to go to work. He wants to spend more time with Cameron, but them spending a full day/weekend together isn't possible until he is able to leave one of his jobs. So realistically, Cameron would be spending the majority of the weekend with MIL. He'll see Jason for a few hours in between Jason getting off work and going to bed, but that's about it.
  6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    The first (and only time so far ) I spent the night away from Landon he was about 13 months old.

At that point he was nursing once or twice during the day, once to go to bed, and 5+ times during the night, so I was worried.

He actually slept pretty darn good the night I was away, and when I came back, he was actually more adamant about nursing again than before I left.

7. Banned
    Banned
    I think I'd be okay with spending the night away, but I don't think either one of us is ready for the weekend away. Maybe we could save up enough money for a night at a hotel here in town. That would be pretty cool. I could nurse Cameron before I leave, then I would be there to nurse when he wakes up, and I could have the whole night to myself. And if I REALLY missed him, he and DH could join me. Salina is an hour away, so if something happened and I needed to be there for him, it would take me awhile to pack up and get home.
  8. Senior Member
    E is 22 months old and I've never left her more than a few hours, ever. She stopped nursing at 13/14 months.

My mom and I are just now discussing the possibility of practicing with a sleepover so she can be comfortable when I have to leave her to go to the hospital to have this baby. I might be more laid back if she didn't have such terrible separation anxiety (which has only worsened since DH deployed). I wouldn't leave a nursing baby overnight, JMO.
  9. Regular Member
    My first nursed until she was 2.5. She didn't stay the night away until she weaned. My parents live 2.5 hours south of us and she stayed with them for 3 or 4 nights a couple months after she weaned. She was ready and so was I. In fact, the only time she got upset was when she thought Mimi was leaving without her. As soon as I told my daughter she was going with Mimi, she got excited, said goodbye and ran to my mom's car! lol

My son is almost 2.5 and still nursing. I haven't left him over night, but I have left him all day twice. Let me tell you how miserable that was for me! Omg I was so engorged, it hurt to move my arm. I was only engorged on one side, since that's pretty much the only side he nurses on. I didn't have a pump, so it was even worse! It hurt to nurse him for 2 or 3 days after, I'm very lucky I didn't get mastitis.

I am planning on having him stay for a night or two at my mom's house while hubby and I are painting and cleaning our house to get it ready for our tenants. Two nights is all I can handle, though. I don't want him to wean because he is away and I don't want to be that miserable!

I would think that one night would be fine as long as you have enough milk and he already takes a bottle or sippy cup. Since he is under a year, he still needs the milk for the majority of his nutritional intake. I would be hesitant to leave a baby longer than that, personally!