Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: he wont stop biting me...... HELP

1. Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Loving life as a new sahm/w

he wont stop biting me...... HELP

Advertisements
    It seems like ive tried everything!!! My nips hurt soooo bad! Ive tried popping him in the forehead (not hard) telling him no, taking him off the breast.... nothing is working! Help!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

For Joseph, I told him "no bite" and set him on the floor and ignored him for about 10 minutes before I would pick him back up and try again.

Is he teething right now? that is when i got it the worst, when he was getting new teeth in. Other than teething, him biting usually meant he was not actually eating, but playing/comfort nursing
  3. Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Loving life as a new sahm/w
    He is teething. I'm pretty sure he is getting both his k9 teeth in at the same time.

Ill have to try that.
  4. Senior Member
    Bowen doesn't respond to flicks or anything either, so when he bites I say "no biting" and put him down to play. I explain to him that it hurts mommy and he can eat when he's hungry and ready to be nice. Not that he understands but usually he's fine just playing for a while, he doesn't bite when he's actually hungry.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I would flick Cameron's cheek, but after awhile that stopped working. So I tried doing what they tell you to do with puppies. I would yelp and make a big deal out of it, and then he learned that it hurt me and it upset me, so he eventually stopped.
  6. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    I just say "OW! No!" and take her off my breast. It's usually towards the end of the nursing session so her "punishment" is, if you bite you're done.

be cool.
  7. Regular Member
    At what point of a normal session is he biting? Beginning, middle or end? It's physically impossible for him to bite WHILE nursing, because his tongue is over his teeth. If the latch is incorrect, you can feel his teeth on the top, but he can't actually bite. If it's toward the beginning, it is generally a couple of things. The first is that he isn't actually ready to nurse. Maybe it's around nap time and he doesn't think he is ready, so he is playing more. Maybe he has trouble getting a good latch at first? If it's towards the end of the session, he may be getting bored and not wanting to nurse anymore.

Once you kind of determine when he is doing the biting, you can figure out the best way to stop it. If it's at the beginning, make sure he opens really wide before latching. It will help him get a good latch. If you notice him beginning to play or if you notice he is not actively nursing, take him off. If he does bite, put him down. If he doesn't get upset, he probably wasn't terribly invested in the feeding. If he does, give him a minute or so. Just long enough for it to sink in that he doesn't get to nurse. Pick a phrase...It could be "nice nursing" "soft" "no biting", etc. Anything and just use it every single time.

If he is teething, it might be that he is not getting a good latch because it hurts. It's normal for babies to have trouble nursing when they are teething.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by melissa8689 View Post
    He is teething. I'm pretty sure he is getting both his k9 teeth in at the same time.

Ill have to try that.
    Oh my goodness, he's getting his canines at 8 months?? Does he already have the other 12 teeth?

Either way, I would recommend trying to see if it's at the end of nursing-- if it is, then take his decrease in suckling as your cue and pop him off of the boob before he has a chance to bite.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

9. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I've heard people say to bite back. Gently, of course.
  10. Regular Member
    I haven't had to do that, but I had a friend who did not want to bite her child, but wanted her child to learn that biting hurt. Instead she waited for a moment when her daughter was about to bite her and put the child's arm in her own mouth. It worked the same for her. She was biting others though and it's often harder to predict the moment when a nursing baby will bite!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast