Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CIO

1. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made

CIO

Advertisements
    Well... it has finally come to that. Some of you may remember my thread awhile back about DS suddenly not wanting to sleep in his crib. Well, I tried every suggestion in that thread, read every book & tried all those methods & nothing worked. He'd fall asleep for maybe 30min-1hr & then it was hell upon hell.

I have absolutely loved sleeping with him in general because who wouldn't love to wake up to a face with bug eyes on you & then the biggest smile you could ever imagine when he smiles at you because he sees you're awake? But I need my bed back. Not for comfort but for my marriage. DH & I are doing well but you can only imagine the strain that can evolve from months of not sleeping in the same bed.

So my questions are, how did you use the CIO method? And how did you deal with it?

I've only let DS CIO once & that was when I put him in his crib when he passed out & DH & I started to so when DS started screaming (5 minutes later), I just turned off the monitor because we hadn't for awhile. And when I went to go check on him, he was just laying there... so pitiful but quiet, fully awake like he just gave up all hope.

I know this has to happen. But all I can think of is him feeling abandoned, unloved & why isn't mommy coming.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  2. Senior Member
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

it is rough.
  4. Senior Member
    it's hard. But I promise it gets easier. When you get up that first morning and he's still excited to see you and still loves you it gets a little easier. We'll be going back to the Sleep Easy method once B's weight issues are under control.
  5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Ferber method. It's the ONLY thing that worked with Nikaia. She slept through the night from the time she was born until 8 months and then BAM. Sleep regression like a BITCH. We tried everything else we could think of but finally it came down to Ferber. She did really well with it, it was a little slow going at first but she adjusted after a few weeks and has been an awesome sleeper again ever since. Look it up, it's not a lay them down and let them cry until they fall asleep method (I could never do that). You lay them down awake and then go in to them without talking and give them a little comfort in different intervals that get further apart the longer they are in bed. If they are sick, inconsolable (crying hard enough you think they could puke), or something else is wrong you abandon it and start over next time.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by El Trina Fantastica View Post
    Ferber method. It's the ONLY thing that worked with Nikaia. She slept through the night from the time she was born until 8 months and then BAM. Sleep regression like a BITCH. We tried everything else we could think of but finally it came down to Ferber. She did really well with it, it was a little slow going at first but she adjusted after a few weeks and has been an awesome sleeper again ever since. Look it up, it's not a lay them down and let them cry until they fall asleep method (I could never do that). You lay them down awake and then go in to them without talking and give them a little comfort in different intervals that get further apart the longer they are in bed. If they are sick, inconsolable (crying hard enough you think they could puke), or something else is wrong you abandon it and start over next time.
    We, more or less, Ferberized as well. The only thing was the first couple days, my mom was the main one because DH and I literally couldn't handle it and with DH's work hours, it was the only way we could get a hint of alone time otherwise. We are full CIO believers, though, and she followed the Ferber method and we went in at different intervals, taking turns with her, and then of course, when he would wake up to nurse, I was going in to nurse (we did this finally around 8mos, I believe, when him being in our bed was just getting uncomfortable for us and he was crawling so I worried about that.

If it makes you feel better, you may want to invest in a video monitor if you don't have one. Wyatt still, without fail, will cry every nap and bedtime despite nearly all of them putting himself up in his room. Us being able to watch him really helped us realize that he was/is totally fine and we're doing the right thing as parents. Oh, and he still loves us in the morning, as will Gavin
  7. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    Do you have one of those aquarium things that hook on to the crib? I swear they work. My kid cried it out a couple nights and I got one of those things and she never cried again. She stares at it until her eyes slowly drift off.

8. Senior Member
    CIO was a gift from God for me with my first. DH was deployed and she was, I think 8 months (could have been six months). Either way, she would wake up ever hour and I started to truly suffer from sleep deprivation. It was torture and unhealthy. One night I just did it (CIO). That kid cried for almost two hours. The second night 45 minutes. Third night, 15 minutes, the next night... nothing. It broke my heart to do it but it was to the point that I was not being the best mom because I was sooooo sleep deprived. It changed both of our lives when we worked it out. And 16 years later she is all good.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I did CIO with Aubs much earlier than is recommended, but I was alone, depressed, and about to completely lose my mind, so I had to prioritize. If I didn't sleep, I couldn't take care of her and I needed to survive, so I sucked it up and did CIO super early.

Anyways, here's what I did-- it took one week for her to go from waking every 3ish hours to STTN for 12 hrs.

I created a bedtime routine that I repeated every night. I changed her diaper, nursed her while I sang to her, gave her her pacifier, swaddled her, turned on her night light and sleep sheep (ocean waves setting), kissed her goodnight and stroked her face (note: I ALWAYS put her down awake), then left. I waited 30 min to go back in initially. I went in and stroked her face but DID NOT TALK or turn on lights (tried to stimulate as little as possible) or pick her up or anything. After a couple of minutes, she'd stop crying or at least be crying less intensely, so I would leave again. After that, I went in every 15 min and repeated that soothing technique. The first night, it took 2 hours and change. The second night, about 1 1/2 hrs. The rest of the nights, she cried, but was done and asleep by that initial 30 min mark. After a week of CIO, she didn't even cry anymore, just calmly went to sleep.

As for random wake-ups during the night, I would go in and do the same technique, where I didn't pick her up or talk, but I'd touch her and stroke her face. Also, for middle-of-the-night wake-ups, I skipped the 30 min and went right to the 15 min intervals. Occasionally, if she was REALLY upset, I would nurse her during the night. Usually she only had her real "fight" at the initial put-down, so she went to sleep after one or two 15 min intervals. Those were occasional though-- she honestly STTN from the time she was 4 weeks old. The main sleep struggle we had was that she wouldn't go down initially. Once we overcame that, it was smooth sailing.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I've tried the Ferber method & the let him CIO with checking/soothing between intervals & it has only made things worse. He gets way to worked up to the point that he can barely breathe from crying (or silent crying since he just tenses up with his mouth open but no screams come out.)

I do have a video monitor but it doesn't give me any peace of mind when it comes to this because I know the differences in his cries so I know that he's okay & just crying for me. If anything, seeing him breaks my heart more.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriah View Post
    Do you have one of those aquarium things that hook on to the crib? I swear they work. My kid cried it out a couple nights and I got one of those things and she never cried again. She stares at it until her eyes slowly drift off.
    I have one & he doesn't care much for it. He'll watch it & play with the little rattle thing it has on it but it doesn't put him to sleep. And when he decides he doesn't want to be in his crib anymore, he'll smack his head on it moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    CIO was a gift from God for me with my first. DH was deployed and she was, I think 8 months (could have been six months). Either way, she would wake up ever hour and I started to truly suffer from sleep deprivation. It was torture and unhealthy. One night I just did it (CIO). That kid cried for almost two hours. The second night 45 minutes. Third night, 15 minutes, the next night... nothing. It broke my heart to do it but it was to the point that I was not being the best mom because I was sooooo sleep deprived. It changed both of our lives when we worked it out. And 16 years later she is all good.
    Last night, I let him cry for about 15 minutes before I went to check on him. He got so worked up that he was stuck in betwee the bars of his crib so I had to raise the bumper. So I gave him a bottle & then he went to sleep in his crib for 2 hours before he started again. He hasn't slept that long in there in a very long time so I think that's some progress.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast