Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Nap help

1. Banned
    Banned

Nap help *updated*

Advertisements
    For about the past month and a half, Cameron REFUSES to sleep for me. He will take naps for DH or MIL, but he will not sleep for me. I dread the days when MIL has to work because that means I'm home alone with him. I used to love our time alone. Now all he does is scream and cry and refuse to sleep, even though he is very tired. It's no fun. By the time DH or MIL gets home, I have to pass him off for a few hours because I need a break. I do the same things they do. I wind up Sunny (his musical turtle), I make sure he has his Nuk, I rub his cheek, and sometimes I'll sing him a song. I even let him cry for 5 minute increments before I go in and try everything all over again. Nothing. Works.

It started after MIL started working, and we started spending those days together. It's like he's so excited that he's with just me, that he doesn't want to sleep. On our good days, I'll get an hour out of him...total. He normally takes 2-3 one hour naps. Does anyone have ANY ideas? I will try anything at this point.

See post 5.
    Last edited by JasonsGirl; 05-30-2013 at 03:13 PM.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Yeah, 15 minutes is not a nap. I'm going to go insane.
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Maybe you need to try and change up the routine? Does he nurse to sleep? Have you tried nursing and/or rocking him to sleep? Maybe try to put him down in a different room, and then transfer him back to his?

I know...mother of a bad sleeper trying to get nap advice, you can just tell me to

I'm sorry he's being hard headed about this I hope it's just a phase he's going through and passes quickly

4. Senior Member
    Do you have a rocking chair? Here's what worked for me

Turn on white noise, like a quiet fan turned to blow gently on the wall. I would try rocking him running your finger down his face (makes him close his eyes), tracing his ear stroking his hair....anything to get him to relax. Sing quietly or hum while he is falling asleep. Wait a few minutes after he is asleep but keep humming quietly until he is fully out. Then while still humming gently place him in his bed while still humming and gently place your hand on his back if he starts to stir when you lay him down. Then once he has settled again leave the room and pull the door closed.

My ds was definitely the king of short naps until I started doing that. After we established a routine like above it got easier and easier to get him down for a nap and to keep him asleep. Just make sure you relax and don't worry about how long it takes or he won't relax and sleep. Good luck.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Just wanted to update.

I switched up our routine. We snuggle on the couch until I see his eyes close, then we go and rock for a few minutes. Then I lay him down, and he holds my hand for a few minutes and then he's out like a light!

Thanks for all your help!