Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picky Eaters

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Help Picky Eaters

Advertisements
    DS in the beginning was the best eater and he does pretty well as far as eating a lot BUT he is getting really picky about his eating. For example I can't seem to get any sort of veggies into him. I swear if I mix it into something else he eats he eats around it. Like tonight I made these homemade pot pie things in muffin pans (thanks to Pinterest!) and I put some of the biscuit in his mouth with a small piece of broccoli that was covered in the sauce and cheese and the kid took it in his mouth like he was going to eat it and I was all bragging to DH how I got and I look over and he has swallowed everything BUT the dang broccoli.

Fruits are tough too. He will sometimes eat a banana and sometimes take little pieces of apple I feed him but thats about it. I've tried strawberries... even strawberries dipped in chocolate. I just feel kind of at a loss and feel like Tristen isn't getting the proper nutrition he needs.

DH says i'm to uptight about it and that he is a kid but I feel like that is the reason why he needs veggies and fruit... he's a kid and needs to grow!

Any ideas? Anything I could substitute for him to get that stuff?
  2. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Landon's the same way about vegetables. I got lucky that he seems to love fruit though.

I honestly give Landon V8 juice (usually the mango tango, or whatever flavor he's into) once in awhile just because it has the full serving of vegetables I've tried tricking him into eating veggies, and nothing has worked for us either

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm on the camp of he'll eat it when he gets hungry enough. Now, granted, Wyatt is not picky in the least but I don't, nor will I ever, cater to a picky eater. My mom did the same thing, we ate what they ate and if we didn't then we went hungry. Now, not everyone is comfortable with that but that's how we stand on that and it's worked well so far for us.
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    I'm on the camp of he'll eat it when he gets hungry enough. Now, granted, Wyatt is not picky in the least but I don't, nor will I ever, cater to a picky eater. My mom did the same thing, we ate what they ate and if we didn't then we went hungry. Now, not everyone is comfortable with that but that's how we stand on that and it's worked well so far for us.
    See, I'm all on board for that, but I usually make a meat (like chicken), a carb (like potatoes), and a veggie (like string beans), and he gets a little of each, like us. Yet, he'll eat the chicken and potatoes, leave the string bean, and be perfectly content So...do you just not give him the other two and give him only veggies?

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by *YDoIGrowPeople* View Post
    See, I'm all on board for that, but I usually make a meat (like chicken), a carb (like potatoes), and a veggie (like string beans), and he gets a little of each, like us. Yet, he'll eat the chicken and potatoes, leave the string bean, and be perfectly content So...do you just not give him the other two and give him only veggies?
    Pretty much. My rule, even for DH and I and when I was still a nanny, was you get your veggies first and then you eat the rest once you're done. We've always eaten like that, though, so it's not anything new for Wyatt, it's just how we eat.

My little brother was, and still is, the pickiest person ever. He once sat at the kitchen table in a battle of hard headed ness with my parents for over two hours over three, yes three single, green beans. For us, if it ever comes to that point with our kids, you get until everyone's done with dinner and if you're not done in that time, you're done and in bed.

Edit- also, we don't get our potatoes and meat-part (I'm a vegetarian, so I don't cook meat so it's usually tofu or something else) until Wyatt is finished with his veggies, too.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I feel SO bad doing that! I have taken him and put him in his bed while we ate because he was being fussy about not wanting what we ate and then in the end I gave him baby oatmeal cereal and then fruit/veggie before bed mixed in. But hes getting to the point where it's a fight to get him to eat that anymore.
  7. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Pretty much. My rule, even for DH and I and when I was still a nanny, was you get your veggies first and then you eat the rest once you're done. We've always eaten like that, though, so it's not anything new for Wyatt, it's just how we eat.

My little brother was, and still is, the pickiest person ever. He once sat at the kitchen table in a battle of hard headed ness with my parents for over two hours over three, yes three single, green beans. For us, if it ever comes to that point with our kids, you get until everyone's done with dinner and if you're not done in that time, you're done and in bed.
    I might give that a try. Landon used to love certain veggies (like string beans), but now when he has the option of carbs and meat, he won't touch them. I might just start with his veggie first and not let him see the rest

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Kaepernick View Post
    I feel SO bad doing that! I have taken him and put him in his bed while we ate because he was being fussy about not wanting what we ate and then in the end I gave him baby oatmeal cereal and then fruit/veggie before bed mixed in. But hes getting to the point where it's a fight to get him to eat that anymore.
    Like I said, this is not necessarily for every parent but if you choose to do it, just like everything else with kids, consistency is the key. It's like sleep training/CIO in my eyes, it may be a couple interesting meals of trying something like this but he'll figure out that if he wants food, he needs to eat what he's given.

Quote Originally Posted by *YDoIGrowPeople* View Post
    I might give that a try. Landon used to love certain veggies (like string beans), but now when he has the option of carbs and meat, he won't touch them. I might just start with his veggie first and not let him see the rest
    Yeah, I edited my post but we don't get the rest of our meal until Wyatt's done with his veggies, as well, to show that he's getting the same deal as we are, no difference.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I used to take veggie puree and spread it on a slice of bread, then use that as one of the slices to make grilled cheese. Ended up as a toasted chessy veggie sandwich and Aubs loved em
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I used to take veggie puree and spread it on a slice of bread, then use that as one of the slices to make grilled cheese. Ended up as a toasted chessy veggie sandwich and Aubs loved em
    Great idea!!!

Elizabeth I just have to say you're a bad ass! I wish I could be like that but I'm such a softy when it comes to my little man I clearly need to grow a pair! (hopefully that doesn't sound offensive at all lol)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast