Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Supplementing

  1. Senior Member
    maegan's Avatar
    maegan is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Campbell
    Posts
    13,458
    #1

    Supplementing

    Advertisements
    Ok, last thread today, promise. I'm looking for tips on supplementing. What are some things I can do to get him interested in the bottle and formula while keeping him interested in the breast? How often should I offer formula vs the breast? Any other tips or advice? Any advice for boosting his calories aside from cereal?

    TIA!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    KnittingGuamMama's Avatar
    KnittingGuamMama is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kings Bay, GA
    Posts
    6,535

    #2
    I forget - how old is he? If I was planning on supplementing while still BF'ing, I'd probably do the formula in a sippy cup or regular cup so that it's a completely different thing and type of drinking (hopefully that makes sense). That's if he's closer to 6ish months. For much younger than that, I'd probably do the think like some hospitals are doing with tiny tubing running down so that he's still nursing on the breast but has that little tube getting out the formula.
  3. Senior Member
    maegan's Avatar
    maegan is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Campbell
    Posts
    13,458
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    I forget - how old is he? If I was planning on supplementing while still BF'ing, I'd probably do the formula in a sippy cup or regular cup so that it's a completely different thing and type of drinking (hopefully that makes sense). That's if he's closer to 6ish months. For much younger than that, I'd probably do the think like some hospitals are doing with tiny tubing running down so that he's still nursing on the breast but has that little tube getting out the formula.
    He's six months. I'll give the sippy cup a try. Right now he mostly just chews on it He very rarely accepts a bottle at all anymore, hasn't for a couple of months even though he took them no problem from three weeks on. So it's kind of a double whammy of getting him to take the bottle and getting used to the taste of formula at the same time.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    KnittingGuamMama's Avatar
    KnittingGuamMama is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kings Bay, GA
    Posts
    6,535

    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    He's six months. I'll give the sippy cup a try. Right now he mostly just chews on it He very rarely accepts a bottle at all anymore, hasn't for a couple of months even though he took them no problem from three weeks on. So it's kind of a double whammy of getting him to take the bottle and getting used to the taste of formula at the same time.
    Do you have enough BM pumped (or can pump even a little now) to ease him into it? Like half and half fo one feeding then 75% then 100%. That may help the transition, too. Also, babies are really picky about sippy cups just like bottles so maybe pick up a few different brands and types and try them all out. We went through a boat load before Wyatt decided to like the cheap ones

    Thought of an even better idea - start trying straws. Wyatt was about that age when he figured out straws and that's so different from the boob that there's no way to create nipple confusion over that.
  5. Senior Member
    maegan's Avatar
    maegan is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Campbell
    Posts
    13,458
    #5
    I have about eight ounces frozen right now. I haven't been able to pump at all lately. He nurses so much, there's nothing left to pump. I'm hoping to be able to pump more when he takes formula... Catch 22. It's in 2 ounce bags though, so I can stretch it a little. I'm so frustrated right now, I'm pretty sure this is going to lead to full formula feeding. I'm working my head around that idea.
  6. Senior Member
    maegan's Avatar
    maegan is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Campbell
    Posts
    13,458
    #6
    Shameless bump.

    B has no interest whatsoever in taking a bottle from me and seems to think his sippy cup is a weapon. Any ideas on how I can get him to take it? He likes the sippy cup when it has juice but won't even try it with formula.
  7. La vie boheme
    Hope's Avatar
    Hope is offline
    La vie boheme
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    29,083

    #7
    You could try bottles with nipples that are wide and have a flow similar to breast. Start by pumping and using only breast milk then introduce formula (if that's your goal). And more than likely he will refuse to begin with but if you are persistent he will, hopefully, take the bottle after some time. I have supplemented with all three of mine so if you want to know more just PM me.

    Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  8. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    GlitterQueen's Avatar
    GlitterQueen is offline
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    12,434
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    You could try bottles with nipples that are wide and have a flow similar to breast. Start by pumping and using only breast milk then introduce formula (if that's your goal). And more than likely he will refuse to begin with but if you are persistent he will, hopefully, take the bottle after some time. I have supplemented with all three of mine so if you want to know more just PM me.
    Try a tommee tipper bottle. I went from the boob to those and the transition was very easy!


  9. Senior Member
    maegan's Avatar
    maegan is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Campbell
    Posts
    13,458
    #9
    I've been trying a bunch of different nipples, I'll pick up a tommee tippee tomorrow. He freaks out when it even gets close to his mouth. this is getting so frustrating. He screams because there's not enough milk but won't take the bottle. My friend is going to take him for a few hours tomorrow. He takes bottles from her usually so we'll see if he'll take a formula bottle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •