Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Pumping but not much....... Help!

1. Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Loving life as a new sahm/w

Pumping but not much....... Help!

Advertisements
    So I tried pumping ALL day and all I got was an ounce. I need help. How can I get more then an ounce. I tried pumping while he is feeding but he just wants to know what is one his food supply so he stops eating to figure out what is on his food supply.any suggestions on how to get more would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What kind of pump are you using? And I know there are different sized breast shield for pumps maybe you need a different size?
  3. Senior Member
    I would suggest hand expression? It stimulates you more so you should be able to get more off.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Are you just starting to pump? Are you trying to build up a stash? Are you just pumping for extra milk for bottles?

My first suggestion would be to stop pumping while he is feeding, that sounds like it would be a huge distraction for him and would only make you more tense and create possible issues with let down.

A good rule of thumb is the more you pump/he feeds, the more milk your body thinks you need and the more it will produce. So if he feeds say every 4 hours, maybe inbetween every other feeding you pump for at least 15-20 min each side (or in 1 sitting if you are using a double pump). Also hand expression, if you can do it, tends to get more milk out as well.
  5. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Usually, I get my best pumps at (conviniently) 3 in the morning after her "midnight snack". I can empty the rest of the side she fed on, and then go to the side she didn't eat on and get a bottle easy with left overs. Idk if he wakes up in the middle of the night for a sleep feeding where he falls asleep before you're empty, but I would start pumping immediately after that, or first thing in the morning if he only eats from one side. Eventually you're body will realize "Oh, he's eating from BOTH sides now" and your supply will increase.

Also, as others said, make sure you have the right sized flange on your pump. Try out small, medium, and large to see which is the most comfortable and produces the most milk for you.

be cool.
  6. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Oh, and I usually find that those 3am pumps are the best because I'm super tired, aka really relaxed, which is the best time to get the most milk.

be cool.