Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Couple feeding questions

1. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made

Couple feeding questions

Advertisements
    1. Gavin eats solids once a day. His doctor told us that we can now move up to twice a day. With one feeding of solids, he'll eat between 1/2 a jar - 1 jar (either store-bought or pre-made by me. I keep mine in the same sized jars). Is that too much for him to eat if he eats that much in both feedings?

2. She said to start giving him sips of water after solids from a sippy cup. Huh? Should I give him water now? If so, how much? And does it really need to be from a sippy cup? That seems bizarre to me.

3. She also said that now he can start on meats. Too soon or...? Which ones should he start with then?

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

So you're going to get different answers from different moms because this is all preference but here's my take:

I don't know how long you've been doing solids but I would maybe keep him to 3/4 of a jar twice a day (so upping solids by about half rather than double) but if he doesnt' eat the same amount of formula (or BF, can't remember what you do), bring it back down. He gets all of the nutrition from the milk, not solids, until he's a year old.

As for meat, we started with turkey and we started around 7mos but it was very, very rare that he got it. Wyatt started solids between 4/5mos and we didnt' follow many of the recommended food rules.

And, lastly, for the sippy: Personal preference. Wyatt never did bottles, straight from boob to sippy. It's definitely not too young to start giving him a sippy with some water in it but it's up to you. Personally, I would give it to him in a sippy to familiarize him with it and to show that only milk comes in the bottle (boob) and everything else in sippy just to start establishing the line between the two.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

At 7 months old, solids are for tasting and experimenting, not for sustenance. I would stick with a small amount once a day. I didn't give Aubs water regularly until she was about a year old. And we started Aubs on meats pretty early-- probably around then.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    YDD just turned 7 months a few days ago and we do solids very sparingly. Like not everyday. So far she has only had a few things like avocado, hummus, bananas, yogurt, etc. and in very small amounts. DH just tried to give her a banana earlier today (he hasn't seen her eat one) and she turned away from it. Normally, when presented with food she'll dang near rip it out of your hand. lol Since she is getting her nutrients from BF I want to make sure she is getting as much as possible still while introducing various solids. Her dr. said to BF first and then give the solid so she doesn't fill up on unneeded food.

I bought a few bottles awhile back so we could give her one while we're out but she wants nothing to do with bottles so I've always just nursed her. We'll probably go straight to a sippy cup but since she is nursing like a champ I don't see that happening for awhile. Nuby's have the soft mouth pieces so it may be an easier transition from the bottle. 2 of mine could have cared less but my 1 did.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    DS gets a jar in the morning (fruits) and a jar and 1/2 for dinner (veggie or meat & veggie and then either a 1/2 fruit or oatmeal). He also gets a 6oz bottle at 7am, 11am, 3pm, and 6pm. He is a fan of the Beach Nut chicken & Rice or chicken & veggies.

As for water... i bought a few different kind of sippy cups for him to start playing with, only putting an ounce or so of water in it. He is still getting the hang of using them. Thinking it will take a while!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    1. Gavin eats solids once a day. His doctor told us that we can now move up to twice a day. With one feeding of solids, he'll eat between 1/2 a jar - 1 jar (either store-bought or pre-made by me. I keep mine in the same sized jars). Is that too much for him to eat if he eats that much in both feedings?

2. She said to start giving him sips of water after solids from a sippy cup. Huh? Should I give him water now? If so, how much? And does it really need to be from a sippy cup? That seems bizarre to me.

3. She also said that now he can start on meats. Too soon or...? Which ones should he start with then?

I was always told with my kids that you can start meats once they have cut a tooth, there was something about having a tooth changes something in their saliva? if that is true or not.
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by casper02 View Post
    I was always told with my kids that you can start meats once they have cut a tooth, there was something about having a tooth changes something in their saliva? if that is true or not.
    Not true at all.

We did baby led weaning so I can't help with jars. I just out food on there plates and let them go at it much easier then spooning stuff at them
    They started having meats around six months. Just little shreds of chicken I was having or a tiny bit of found beef. All for tasting and learning not as a meal.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    at 6 months my kid was eating two jars a day with the same amount of bottles. she's almost 10 month's now and doesn't really eat jarred stuff anymore just toddler food. i would mix half veggie and half fruit and give her that for lunch and the other halves for dinner. and she got a bottle at 10am 2pm 5-6pm and 9pm. she drinks formula out of a bottle sometimes but mostly everything is out of a sippy cup now. i'm trying to have her off the bottle at 1. she gets formula 3 times a day now.

9. Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Loving life as a new sahm/w
    I would recommend putting half meat half veggie. Braydon hates the taste of the jarred meat. Wic told me that it's a good source of iron.