Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping?

1. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!

Pumping?

Advertisements
    Is there anyone else that exclusively pumps or has in the past? We tried and tried to breastfeed and we just couldn't get it down so I've been pumping since day 3. I've so had it with pumping, I feel completely helpless because I can't comfort Piper if she's fussy, I feel like I'm confined to the house, and like I just spend so much time pumping every day. I have been thinking about going to formula but I feel like I'm letting my baby down if I do . I'm so unhappy pumping, but I also feel very satisfied with the fact that she's getting breast milk. Any advice or words of encouragement would be awesome, maybe I'm just having an over emotional new mommy moment, who knows.
  2. Senior Member
    EP is hard! Trina did it, and I think PITA. you are not letting her down by switching to formula. You are still nurturing her, still giving her what she needs. A happy mama is important, too.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

First off if you quit pumping you are NOT in any way shape or form letting your baby down. You tried and that is all you can do! With that said I exclusively pumped for 6 months. It was hard but I got a routine down. I also produced quite a bit of milk so when I pumped i'd get about 5oz out of each breast at a time. It's hard work and after he turned 6 months I just couldn't do it anymore!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    EP is hard! Trina did it, and I think PITA. you are not letting her down by switching to formula. You are still nurturing her, still giving her what she needs. A happy mama is important, too.
    Totally agree.

Because we gave Natalie formula supplements from the day she was born, my milk supply wasn't the greatest. For 2 1/2 months I nursed and pumped what I could, only to be frustrated and majorly stressed that my supply kept dropping and we were having to supplement more and more. Ever since I finally quit nursing her and she's been exclusively formula fed I've been so much less stressed. You definitely won't be letting her down if you decide to switch to formula. My baby girl is the happiest, healthiest little thing I've ever seen. I did feel guilty at first, but that has since passed and it's all worked out. Happy, healthy baby and happy, healthy momma are what matters.
  5. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    I think exclusively pumping this long is a HUGE token for yourself or anybody. I dread pumping and I only do it once every other day or so

be cool.
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I EPed for 6 months! I can tell you, you are the total opposite of a failure for EP. It is SO HARD and takes so much dedication to do. You are amazing for doing it! It is totally normal to feel overwhelmed and frustrated by breastfeeding in ANY form, especially at first!

You are also not failing if you add in some formula. I went 6 months with EP and then switched Kalista to formula.

At first EP is really really time consuming, but as soon as your supply is established (usually around 12 weeks) you can definitely plan a lot better around pumping and you aren't so confined. You can also start taking a hand pump out with you and pumping in public if you need to. I would just run into the bathroom and pump five minutes on each side (or a nursing mom room/family bathroom if there was one) with my hand pump and I had a bottle for her. I have tons of tricks and tips for increasing milk supply if you ever need them, and for maintaining milk supply if you supplement, and I also know where you can get some domperidone if you need it. Also, if you can rent a hospital grade pump, they are so much better at getting milk and nicer to your boobies!

I promise promise promise it does get easier!
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Also, have you had her checked for a tongue or lip tie? That could be what is causing you problems with BFing straight from the tap and it's a pretty easy fix!
  8. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Kaepernick View Post
    First off if you quit pumping you are NOT in any way shape or form letting your baby down. You tried and that is all you can do! With that said I exclusively pumped for 6 months. It was hard but I got a routine down. I also produced quite a bit of milk so when I pumped i'd get about 5oz out of each breast at a time. It's hard work and after he turned 6 months I just couldn't do it anymore!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Trina Fantastica View Post
    I EPed for 6 months! I can tell you, you are the total opposite of a failure for EP. It is SO HARD and takes so much dedication to do. You are amazing for doing it! It is totally normal to feel overwhelmed and frustrated by breastfeeding in ANY form, especially at first!

You are also not failing if you add in some formula. I went 6 months with EP and then switched Kalista to formula.

At first EP is really really time consuming, but as soon as your supply is established (usually around 12 weeks) you can definitely plan a lot better around pumping and you aren't so confined. You can also start taking a hand pump out with you and pumping in public if you need to. I would just run into the bathroom and pump five minutes on each side (or a nursing mom room/family bathroom if there was one) with my hand pump and I had a bottle for her. I have tons of tricks and tips for increasing milk supply if you ever need them, and for maintaining milk supply if you supplement, and I also know where you can get some domperidone if you need it. Also, if you can rent a hospital grade pump, they are so much better at getting milk and nicer to your boobies!

I promise promise promise it does get easier!
    You guys are my heroes!! I usually get 6-10 oz a session so I only pump 4 or 5 times a day, so I know it's not that bad compared to what some people have to do. I think I'm stressing myself out because I'm worrying about how I'm going to EP when I go back to school and work. The thought of managing mom, school, work, keeping the house clean and pumping just seems incredibly over whelming to me at this point.
  9. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    Why is EP hard? Like... Is it harder than BF?

10. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    Why is EP hard? Like... Is it harder than BF?
    Yes it is, a pump can't get all a babe can and it is a lot more pull on the girls for not as much result.
    Not to mention emotionally taxing.

Op have you met with a lactation consultant at all? I would have her checked for lip and tongue tie too. Laid back positioning really helps too. Skin to skin, nakey. You lay back inclined, lay her on your chest and let her do the searching she naturally knows how to latch so if she can do it her way it may be more successful. Also do it the first time after she is already satisfied or mostly so it's instinct not panic. you aren't a failure.

I struggled and my lact lady was a godsend. Chek your area for free breast feeding support groups too, that was my saving grace.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast