Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Pyloric Stenosis?

1. Senior Member

Pyloric Stenosis?

Advertisements
    Zach is 7 weeks 1 day and just started spitting up in the past week, this morning he projectile vomited twice after eating so I called his pedi to see if they had an opening. They did and we took him in, his pedi was concerned since he hadn't really been spitting up since birth and it just recently started. I haven't changed my diet, no new foods, etc. He mentioned that it could be pyloric stenosis and wanted to send him for an upper GI, and then possibly surgery. I was freaking out on the inside because I don't want him to have anything unnecessary done with him being so young. I asked him since it literally just started today and he is still gaining weight and it's not after every feeding could we hold off for a week and re-evaluate at his 2 month check up next week. He said that it was my decision, but if it got worse over the weekend to call the emergency line. He has nursed twice since we got home and *knock on wood* so far no more spitting up. I'm hoping it's just a little bug because he has had a stuffy nose and a little bit of thick saliva, so if that's been draining into his tummy it may be from that.

Does anyone have experience with Pyloric Stenosis? How old was the baby when they were diagnosed? The pedi said it typically shows up between 6-8 weeks, and more in first born males. Anna had severe reflux and was on Similac Alimentum, but Zach hasn't had any issues until this past week. We've been burping him good and keeping him upright after each feeding just in case it is reflux. I'm just worried and really hoping it's nothing major.
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Was he a preemie? I know that preemies, especially boys, have more trouble with GI issues after birth. I hope it's nothing but I don't see anything wrong with jut getting it checked out so you know.
  3. Proud Army Wife :)
    Proud Army Wife :)
    Poor little guy... I hope everything turns out ok! By the way, you kids are absolutely adorable!!!!
  4. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Oh hai!!!

<---- had pyloric stenosis as a baby. Much more common in boys, rare in girls. I've been told by my mom that the doctor said I was the first medically recorded case of pyloric stenosis in a girl that wasn't first born.

They had a hard time diagnosing me because it is much more common in first or second born boys. The surgery is simple, he will be ok. I still have a cool scar on my belly.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ٭Wickεd٭ View Post
    Was he a preemie? I know that preemies, especially boys, have more trouble with GI issues after birth. I hope it's nothing but I don't see anything wrong with jut getting it checked out so you know.
    He was 36 weeks 6 days, so technically right at the "full-term" mark. My main thing with wanting to wait is I know they would sedate him for the upper GI and if it's just a little bug I want to give it a few days just to see, but if we see it is getting worse over the weekend we are definitely going to call the pedi. Plus it would be next week before they could schedule it because he would have to go to the Children's Hospital 2 hours away from us.

Quote Originally Posted by ka01523 View Post
    Poor little guy... I hope everything turns out ok! By the way, you kids are absolutely adorable!!!!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Oh hai!!!

<---- had pyloric stenosis as a baby. Much more common in boys, rare in girls. I've been told by my mom that the doctor said I was the first medically recorded case of pyloric stenosis in a girl that wasn't first born.

They had a hard time diagnosing me because it is much more common in first or second born boys. The surgery is simple, he will be ok. I still have a cool scar on my belly.
    Wow! That is scary, but cool at the same time LOL his pedi actually said they don't even have to cut them open anymore, they do it endoscopically now. Still scares the crap out of me