Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflux advice

1. Senior Member

Reflux advice

Advertisements
    DS is now a little over 2 weeks old. Not long after he was born we realized that he clearly has a reflux issue (which we know is common). His reflux is what I would say is pretty severe. He projectile spits up (not every bottle but at least once a day) and it also comes out his nose. It clearly hurts him. He is the happiest, best baby except for when it's time to eat. I'm not sure what else I can do to help him through this. He eats about 2-3 ounces every 4 hours. I feed him sitting up and then I keep him up for at least 30 minutes after. I elevate him to sleep and only do tummy time right before his next bottle. I change his diaper before he eats because he'll lose everything he eats if I lay him down after. I tried thickening his formula with rice cereal at the suggestion of the pediatrician but that only lasted 3 bottles because it made his stomach so upset. I switched formula (also at the suggestion of the pediatrician) to Enfamil GentleEase from Enfamil Newborn. I hate to think that he might need medication to at least reduce the amount of acid in the reflux so it hurts him less, but I'm afraid there may be no other choice. So, give me your reflux advice. I know I'm not the first Mom to go through this...
    Mommyof2in09 is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey
  2. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    All 3 of my kids have had gas/reflux issues. We did what you've already done, but for the girls, we had to mix 2 formulas. We had to use Similac Sensitive and Gerber Gentle. One scoop of each, that is the ONLY thing that worked for them. (along with gas drops) Dylan seems to be handling Enfamil Newborn better than the combo, but he still has some issues. If that doesn't work, I'd absolutely take him to get some medication.

3. Senior Member
    DD was on prosobee (I think that's what it's called) and they also put her on medication for it. It seriously seemed like she spit up more than she ate and always had a tummy ache but being on soy was the only thing that helped her tummy. And the medication helped the projectile vomitting.
  4. Senior Member
    I've been wondering if the reflux is due to his prematurity or an allergy. I guess I'll need my doctor to make that call. I just want to do what's best for my baby and help him be as comfortable as possible. I know that when he eats it's painful and that's hard to deal with. I can handle the spitting up. That doesn't bother me terribly, but watching it come out his nose is a bit scary. And then his painful reaction to it breaks my heart.
  5. Senior Member

Aria has spit up with it coming out of her nose a few times and its just awful! Her Dr said it wasn't reflux for her, just her learning to eat and keep it down. As she's gotten older she spits up less and less.

We switched her from Emfamil Newborn to Gentlease and now back to Newborn since she was constipated on the Gentlease.
  6. Senior Member
    I called the pediatricians office this morning and our doctor is out this week, but we are going into see another doctor (who I also like) to see if they can offer any advice or help for my sweet baby. He has really been uncomfortable this morning.
  7. Senior Member
    DD has Silent Reflux. We had to switch her from Similac to the GentleEase to Prosobee and finally to Enfamil Nutramigen. It was the only formula she wouldn't throw up, but she still dealt with the acid reflux for a little while. Now (she's almost 14mo) it's rare to hear the SR.

I hope you find out what works best for him soon. It's hard to see a little one, especially your own, deal with reflux.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My son was premature and also had severe reflux issues. After doing an upper GI series, they found that the lower esophageal sphincter (the ring of muscle that connects the stomach and esophagus) was under developed and was not staying closed as his stomach digested and passed food through into the intestines. So as he digested, hello projectile vomiting.

I know it's not fun. We kept him upright all the time. We did baby wearing, backpacks, and he spent nap time in his swing. We also had a wedge pillow for his bed and my husband elevated one end of the crib as well (make sure you do this safely so the crib doesn't slip).

My son was BF, so I don't have advice on the formula thing. But keeping him upright as much as possible really, really helped.

I hope it gets better soon. I remember how heartbreaking it was to deal with.
  9. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Victoria had very bad reflux. I had to use a bath towel instead of a burp cloth lol.
    She was prescribed medicine(though its been 2 years and I can't remember what it was)
    We also tried SOOO many formulas. What actually ended up working the best was the cvs brand. It honestly shocked me because it wasn't the gentle formula or anything but it worked.

It's rough to deal with but you're doing everything you can.
  10. Senior Member
    My son was premie and had the same problem. We did gas drops and soy formula from costco. It was the only thing that worked for him. Just keep in mind that the pain he is feeling now will eventually stop and he wont rememeber. It helped me get through alot of booboos.
    proudarmygrlfrnd and PinkyLee are my WIFEYS!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast