Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Distracted nursing help

1. Banned
    Banned

Help Distracted nursing help

Advertisements
    These past few days Cameron has been a HORRIBLE nurser. He is so distracted by what is going on around him that he will latch for a few seconds, take a sip, pull off, sit up and look around, go back to the boob, relatch, take a couple sips, etc. The only times he will sit still when nursing is when he's half asleep. Any advice? Is this a stage or is he weaning? He eats like a champ when he does nurse, but we have to be in a quiet area with nothing going on, he can't hear Jason talking, etc...so that's why I'm not sure.

HELP!
  2. Moderator

It's a normal stage.

All of my nursing kids went through phases like that. The world is has become so interesting to them at this age. They want to be able to see what's going on. I had to go to a quiet place and reinforce nursing manners.
  3. Senior Member
    It's a stage. That was one of the most frustrating stages for me/us. I was so used to just sitting back with my feet up watching tv while he nursed and I ended up having to go to a quiet, dark room every time he wanted to nurse for a couple weeks (unless he was super sleepy) and FORGET IT if we were out in public. Super frustrating. But it will pass just like everything else! Keep at it. Try a dark, quiet room and you can try different things to keep his attention as well. Maybe get a nursing necklace so he has something to focus on and I used to sing to David (it helped maybe half the time )

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Definitely a stage. At that age, I always covered him, no matter what and that helped alleviate the distractions. I also let him hold something in his hand like a teether or rattle or something that he could watch and examine without unlatching.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    New phases. How long does this last? I took him in his room last night and shut the light off, and he nursed well. But NIP? That's just not possible right now.
  6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Stage. Sometimes it works well to go into a dark quiet place. In public put a blanket over to calm him. I hated that stage. It lessens after a couple months but it never goes away.
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Around 9-10 months I had to stop nursing in public because she was so distracted. Best thing to do on the really bad days is just what you did. Nice quiet room.
    Because rylee was so distract able that's why she weaned early. We were home inn the states and just so much going on and so many people. I could only nurse her away from others in my room and it just wasn't working for us. So she weaned. But she was old enough to at 15 months.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress