Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which carrier?

1. Señor Member
    Señor Member

Which carrier?

Advertisements
    My mom has a Bjorn, but since we will be using it mostly for our flight from the states to Japan, I really want to invest in something that will be easier on her hips for such a long period of time during travel.

Right now I'm looking at the Ergo ($140), Beco($130), and Boba($125) carriers. Also, the BobaAir is an option, since it is more than half the price of all of the other carriers, and it seems a lot more breathable.

Madison will be 8 months when we use it, but I'd like to test it out plenty of times before we leave so I'm not wearing it incorrectly causing unneeded discomfort for both of us. Right now she's 4 months, and I'm assuming about 15 pounds.

Is there any significant difference in these (besides the obvious difference between all of them and the BobbaAir)?
    I know a lot of people love the Ergo, but what about in a comparison with the other two? Has anybody worn more than just one or the other to make a comparison?
    Are carriers the type of thing you don't want to buy used even if they look to be in great condition?
    Do they ever have sales on these so that my husband doesn't have as big a temper tantrum when I buy it even though he thinks they're way too expensive?
    Does anybody know any other ergo type carriers besides beco & boba that are cheaper?

TIA

be cool.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I haven't compared it with others but I am an ergo lover. I got mine with dd and it's still going strong with ds. Check baby steals because they pop up in their regularly. Also if there is a store near you where you can try them all out that's your best bet. That's how I ended up with an ergo.
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Ergo all the way. The snaps are way easier than the ties especially in public IMO and the body style holds up better. I have 6 different carrierhs and use my ergo more than all.

The baby bjorn though really should not be used. Crotch danglers are very bad for hips and hip development.
  4. Senior Member
    I don't have any experience with them, but ime carriers are a pita in airports. Security took longer, you have to take them out for take off and landing, and feeding them in it is awkward. Buuuut holding a baby that long would suck, too i held B for a six and a half hour flight and was far more comfortable than when i tried to keep him in the carrier on the flight home.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't have experience with the others but I have an Ergo. YDD is 5 months and 18-19lbs. I have a pinched sciatic nerve and I'm still good to carry her for 1 1/2+ hours straight while doing chores, walking around, etc. More if I sit down. Not sure if you nurse but I can easily nurse her while in the carrier, too. Not sure about buying it used. I got mine new. I watched stores that carried it around here and never saw it go on sale so I just said to heck with it and bought it new.
  6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    I don't have any experience with them, but ime carriers are a pita in airports. Security took longer, you have to take them out for take off and landing, and feeding them in it is awkward. Buuuut holding a baby that long would suck, too i held B for a six and a half hour flight and was far more comfortable than when i tried to keep him in the carrier on the flight home.
    I never had to take my ergo off at security.they let me o through holding her in it. And for take off and landing I unhooked it but didn't take it all way off so I found it very helpful personally. San Diego, Spokane, o hare, Minneapolis, none made me take off and only two flights made me unhook her for landing.
  7. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    Yea I'll just be using it walking in the airport from A to B-- not during flights or any of that.

be cool.
  8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HisByzantineLove View Post
    Ergo all the way. The snaps are way easier than the ties especially in public IMO and the body style holds up better. I have 6 different carrierhs and use my ergo more than all.

The baby bjorn though really should not be used. Crotch danglers are very bad for hips and hip development.
    Loved my Ergo, for sure. I had a few different carriers, like a ring sling and Baby Hawk mei tai carrier too. But, the Ergo was my favorite for trips.

And just a ditto on the Baby Bjorn. Emery had hip dysplasia and her physical therapists couldn't stress enough that designs like that are really bad for hip development.
  9. Senior Member
    I have had a Boba (just sold it) and have a Beco now and I love them both. The Beco was just more comfortable for me personally. If you can, I'd try to find a store that sells them where you can go try them on or maybe friends who have them because it really varies from person to person what you're gonna prefer!

The Boba was a bit easier for me to get him in and out of but the Beco was just much more comfy which was why I chose to keep that one.

Also, I went through the airport with David in the carrier by myself and they made me take him out through security but it was nbd.
  10. Senior Member
    Ergo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast