Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast Feeding for Dummies?

1. Senior Member

Breast Feeding for Dummies?

Advertisements
    Okay Ladies,
    So because DS came SO SO SO early, I did not get a chance to attend the Breast feeding class I was about to sign up for at the hospital.
    I plan on talking to a Lactation Consultant before bringing him home to be sure I'm supplying enough milk,we have a good latch,etc,etc. As this is my first child though I'm kind of *stooooopid* when it comes to breast feeding, and I'm even more thrown off by the fact that he's so tiny. It makes me want to be super careful and gentle with him, even though I know he's not that breakable.

So do you ladies have any tips,advice,links to blogs, for this breast feeding virgin? loll
    I kind of have no clue what I'm doing
  2. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    I don't but there are so many ladies on here who probably have amazing advice! Good luck.

3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    1) Present boob
    2) proffer boob to baby
    3) Let baby do its thing
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    1) Present boob
    2) proffer boob to baby
    3) Let baby do its thing
    Yeah... not nearly that easy.

I suggest PMing Mac (Boobie Feeder), I know she either is, or is training to be an LC and will have a ton of info for you!
  5. Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Loving life as a new sahm/w
    When I had ds they did "The golden hour" where you hold him on your chest skin to skin and let him find your breast. But you have to have a good latch or it will hurt really bad. Make sure you are comfortable when you are breast feeding. Do you have a boppy or a breastfeeding pillow? Those help a ton.
  6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    This site can answer just about any question you have about BFing:

http://kellymom.com/category/pregnancy/bf-prep/

Not sure what exactly you're concerns are, but a good place to start is self expressing a little milk so that he can smell/taste it, and know it's there.

Boobie*Feeder is a great person to ask, Lord knows she was my life saver several times when I first started BFing, but I'll be happy to help in any way I can

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    1) Present boob
    2) proffer boob to baby
    3) Let baby do its thing
    :lmfao
    This made me laugh, Even though I think there is a bit more of a science to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Yeah... not nearly that easy.

I suggest PMing Mac (Boobie Feeder), I know she either is, or is training to be an LC and will have a ton of info for you!
    Thanks Ladies on the suggestions on who to talk to I'm going to read up on Kelly Mom & then pm her if I have any questions after
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa8689 View Post
    When I had ds they did "The golden hour" where you hold him on your chest skin to skin and let him find your breast. But you have to have a good latch or it will hurt really bad. Make sure you are comfortable when you are breast feeding. Do you have a boppy or a breastfeeding pillow? Those help a ton.
    I do have a boppy I will have to try that, I'm hoping they will let us try before he leaves the hospital so that if I need a LC they can send one.
    Quote Originally Posted by *YDoIGrowPeople* View Post
    This site can answer just about any question you have about BFing:

http://kellymom.com/category/pregnancy/bf-prep/

Not sure what exactly you're concerns are, but a good place to start is self expressing a little milk so that he can smell/taste it, and know it's there.

Boobie*Feeder is a great person to ask, Lord knows she was my life saver several times when I first started BFing, but I'll be happy to help in any way I can
    Thanks I'm going to go do some reading & message her with any questions I have afterwards
  8. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Do the laid back positioning. You and baby get naked so your skin to skin. Recline so you are like slouched back and lay baby on your chest. Keep your hands close but let him search. He will find the breast on his own and have a better latch most of the time. Ts a fantastic way to get started. And you aren't stupid, there is a learning curve.
  9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    The best thing you can do for both of ou is to go to a class asap. Find the LC next time you go to the hospital right away and talk with her.
    Youc an learn tons over the internet and I can type the day away to you, but nothing bets having someone in person talk to you and show you
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. Senior Member
    Definitely get with a LC as soon as possible! Breastfeeding is natural but it doesn't come naturally to everyone You and your baby are both learning a brand new thing together. I would also suggest finding and attending a local la leche league. The moms there can help and it's awesome being around ladies who have been in some of the same situations you have and can answer the questions you may have. Plus if you're unsure about nursing in public a room full of nursing moms is a great way to get some practice in and get comfortable .

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast