Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep help

1. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made

Sleep help

Advertisements
    DS used to be the perfect crib sleeper; he's slept in it from day 1 with no problems. Recently, he refuses to sleep in it. Wont fall asleep in it, wont stay asleep, nothing. He'll fall asleep downstairs & then we'll put him in his crib but then he'll be awake & screaming anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour later. He wants to sleep on me. Wont be hungry or anything, he'll just want to sleep with me. So I'll pick him up, rock him back to sleep & then put him in his crib. After a few times, I'll give up & sleep with him on the couch where he'll sleep all night uninterrupted. But it's not like I'll do that every night. I've gone quite a few nights with only maybe 20 minutes of sleep because I'll get up with him every half hour to rock him back to sleep & it'll be like that all night. So we'll both be exhausted during the day.

I don't know what I can do fix this. It's taking a toll on both DH & I because I'm not sleeping at night & DH can't have a good night's sleep without me in bed. I can't get up with him every few minutes every night... I just can't & neither can DH. But the only way he'll sleep is if I'm sleeping with him.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  2. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    As he gets older, he becomes more aware and is wanting to be with you at all times. Both my girls went through the same thing. It's a crap stage but will, hopefully, pass soon.

Keep trying to get him back to bed but don't feel bad if you end up on the couch.

3. Senior Member
    I swear by the Sleep Easy Solution right now. It's helped us a lot. It's really hard at first, but since the second night it's been awesome. It's all about consistency though. It's hard because if he cries for hours you can't give up or you undo all the work you did. It's crazy how fast it worked though. Bowen went from falling to sleep nursing every night of his life to putting himself to sleep in minutes. I hope you find something that helps soon! No sleep is the hardest thing to deal with, I think.
  4. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    maybe dont let him fall asleep down stairs? do your normal bed time routine and then when he seems tired put him in his crib.

this is what i did and she first night she whined(not cried) for about 7 minutes and the next night she didn't whine at all. now i just put her in there and she plays for a few minutes and then falls asleep.

5. Senior Member
    This is going to be hard on my phone. I might have to come back to this. But one big premise of this book is that if they fall asleep with you (rocking, eating etc) then wake up alone in their crib then they freak out and can't fall back asleep without you replicating the conditions that they feel asleep under in the first place. But if you can get him to fall asleep alone in his crib (a feat in itself, I know, which may take a few nights of crying it out) then he will sleep better and longer because if he wakes up it's nbd to him and he can go back to sleep on his own.

Of course to use this method you have to be comfortable letting them cry, and that doesn't work for everyone, so feel free to disregard
  6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by sqrllvr123 View Post
    As he gets older, he becomes more aware and is wanting to be with you at all times. Both my girls went through the same thing. It's a crap stage but will, hopefully, pass soon.

Keep trying to get him back to bed but don't feel bad if you end up on the couch.
    Stinky babies

Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    I swear by the Sleep Easy Solution right now. It's helped us a lot. It's really hard at first, but since the second night it's been awesome. It's all about consistency though. It's hard because if he cries for hours you can't give up or you undo all the work you did. It's crazy how fast it worked though. Bowen went from falling to sleep nursing every night of his life to putting himself to sleep in minutes. I hope you find something that helps soon! No sleep is the hardest thing to deal with, I think.
    So is that like a CIO method?

Quote Originally Posted by Miriah View Post
    maybe dont let him fall asleep down stairs? do your normal bed time routine and then when he seems tired put him in his crib.

this is what i did and she first night she whined(not cried) for about 7 minutes and the next night she didn't whine at all. now i just put her in there and she plays for a few minutes and then falls asleep.
    Doesn't work. That's what we were doing when this randomly started. Having him fall asleep downstairs is the only way to get him into his crib unless we want him to CIO, but we don't.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    Stinky babies

Doesn't work. That's what we were doing when this randomly started. Having him fall asleep downstairs is the only way to get him into his crib unless we want him to CIO, but we don't.
    i believe the sleep easy solution is kind of like CIO.... you wait 5 minutes and then go in there and tell him they're okay and rub there back or something and walk out and wait 10 minutes and go back in there and do the same thing.

8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I don't have any advice. Unfortunately most kids go through sleep regression at one point or another, due to anything from being more aware to teething to sickness. My girls have been very different sleepers so obviously I haven't found anything that works well for other babies.

though, I know it sucks!

9. Senior Member
    They call it "cry less" or something like that, but yeah, basically. You do interval checks, five minutes, then ten, then fifteen, etc. I was really apprehensive about it but he only cried the first night.
  10. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post

It's considered a modified CIO (I've read the book ). Basically the premise is to get your child to the brink of sleep, where they're about to fall asleep and place them in their crib, so that they fall asleep in there, instead of in your arms. The idea is when you rock them/nurse them/whatever you do, to get them to sleep, they become reliant on it, so when they do their slight wake ups in the middle of the night, and find that whatever got them to sleep is no longer there, they wake themselves up fully and freak out.

It really depends on the child if they end up CIOing. A know a few people who tried it and they're child was so tired that even though they weren't asleep when they set them in the crib, they still fell asleep without a fuss. I tried it on Landon and it was a major train wreck As is anything with his sleeping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast