Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've decided.

1. Señor Member
    Señor Member

I've decided.

Advertisements
    So originally I wanted to breast feed for a year. Then, after realizing that breast feeding is a lot harder (mentally) than it looks... I went ahead and said "yeah six is good enough" Then I starting thinking, well maybe a little sooner than 6 months... "It would be nice to not have to worry about BFing on our way home for Easter. Four months seems good enough".

Well... We're almost at 4 months exclusively BFing, not an oz of formula. I still think that it is fairly mentally draining for me to do-- it really does frustrate me at times, but I've come to the realization that breast feeding really is the best option for Madison, myself, and DH. I might supplement further down the road, but for now I think I'm going to try my hardest to get back to the mindset of nursing until she's ready for cow's or soy milk.

I just cannot justify, for myself, spending that much money on formula when I have what she needs already. For free. I want to be selfish about it. I want that money to buy other things. More clothes for Madison, more clothes for myself, shoes, toys, stupid throw pillows, and other frivolous things that nobody really needs but I want want want. So yeah...

Wish me luck

be cool.
  2. Senior Member
    Good luck! It's totally something I'm taking day by day. It's hard sometimes to be so attached. Especially when they go through a phase of not wanting a bottle, Like B is right now. I took a chance and left him with a friend last night for two hours while I went to a class on post. He took a bottle from her, but wasn't happy about it, and definitely didn't eat til he was full. He nursed for a half hour when we got home I love my baby and I love being with him, but I want the freedom to go out every once in a while and not worry that he's starving. I'm trying not to set a specific goal, more just see how long I can keep at it. Some days it's easy peasy, and some days I want to rip my hair out and scream "Get this baby off my boob" But in reality, it's not that bad and I just need ot suck it up on those marathon feeding days and tell myself that it's what's best for him.
  3. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    With my first, I had always planned to breastfeed for at least a year. Then when she had trouble latching in the beginning, I was thinking... OMG I'll be happy if I can make it to 3 months. But then we made it to 3.. and it had gotten a bit easier... then 6 months... and she started some solids so sometimes when she needed to eat NOW, I could give her solids instead of nursing her right away, so it gave us some flexibility... and it became easier after that. I ended up nursing all three of mine for 14+ months. I TOTALLY get where you are at though... in the beginning it's HARD... they eat constantly and it feels like you're never going to have a life that DOESN'T revolve around your breasts LOL. Good for you, mama!! Whatever you decide to do, you've already given your baby a wonderful gift.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  4. Senior Member
    I think you are doing well and really looking at all the pros and cons.

For me this was the time for relaxing. I put on some music that makes me feel calmer, usually instrumental. It was time away from picking up, washing clothes, doing dishes or whatever else was on my agenda.

As far as your trip you might try working with pumping and getting her used to a bottle. If that doesn't work just plan on stops in your drive with enough time to nurse her. It isn't good for your body to drive for long periods of time anyway.

Good luck to you both. Prayers for you through this continuing to do the best for you little one.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  5. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    She already takes bottles perfectly well-- she always has. During trips I take my car adapter & just pump on the road so rest stops are just to change her, and she can usually eat in the car if she wakes up well enough not to choke every two seconds I just hate pumping. It's one of the most annoying things in the world for me It's not comfortable, and I feel like every time DH looks at me he's wondering how much meat he could get out of me at the slaughter house

be cool.
  6. Banned
    Banned

Don't forget you have to think about what is best for you too!
  7. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

you can do it. It is draining for sure, some times more than others. The health and financial issues were big for us too.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley. View Post
    She already takes bottles perfectly well-- she always has. During trips I take my car adapter & just pump on the road so rest stops are just to change her, and she can usually eat in the car if she wakes up well enough not to choke every two seconds I just hate pumping. It's one of the most annoying things in the world for me It's not comfortable, and I feel like every time DH looks at me he's wondering how much meat he could get out of me at the slaughter house

Just out of curiosity, because I have no life experience with BF, what makes it mentally difficult? Is it not feeling like your body is your own, or that it's so time consuming, or that you have 100% responsibility for the feeding (these are all my best assumptions)?
  9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    breastfeeding isn't always sun shine and rainbows.
    I got to the point with ds around 7-10 months where a bottle was just mentally better and then I got pregnant so transition over was easier.
    Nothing wrong a formula bottle when needed instead of pumping. (As long as you dont miss more then 1-3 feedings in a row)

And I totally get not wanton to spend money on formula that's one reason I started bf (before it grew into more )
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katyp View Post

Just out of curiosity, because I have no life experience with BF, what makes it mentally difficult? Is it not feeling like your body is your own, or that it's so time consuming, or that you have 100% responsibility for the feeding (these are all my best assumptions)?
    For me, it's a lot of things. Being tethered, so to speak, to the baby, having to pump even on those rare occasions that you get time away or to yourself, sitting in the rocket for an hour thinking of all the things I need to get done but can't because he's eating again, being the sole source of food and comfort, still not being able too eat and drink everything I want to, etc. Oh, and then there's the guilt that comes when you realize how selfish that all sounds
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast