Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lord give me strength!

1. Senior Member

Lord give me strength!

Advertisements
    Tonight is going to be our first night of sleep training. Or as the book calls it, sleep learning, which I prefer. I like to think of it as him learning on his own rather than me training him like a dog

This is going to be a little rambly, I have a lot of emotions going on right now.

My son isn't a bad sleeper, (usually. I haven't forgotten the Great Sleep Drought of Two Weeks Past) but I need him to learn to fall asleep on his own and to sleep through the night. I really want him in a good pattern before deployment, both so DH and I have semi garaunteed "us time" every night and so I will not give into the temptation to bring DS to bed with me when I am tired and lonely. I know that works for some families, but I want my space, our space, and I don't want to have to deal with the transition when DH gets home. Oh, you have to relearn who this man is that you haven't seen for nine months? PS- you're kicked out of mommy's bed, too.

I am using the Sleep Easy Solution on the recommendation of several friends. Basically you do the interval checks; start a bedtime routine, bathe, feed, etc, lie them down awake then check every five/ten/fifteen minutes until they stop crying and fall asleep. Then you work on weaning them off of night feedings by setting an alarm for one hour before they usually wake up and feeding them without fully awakening them. That part I can do no problem. It is going to be the crying part that kills me. I want this done before DH gets home next week because we do not help each other when he cries. We both get frustrated and snappy. It is something we are working on, but for now, I would rather handle this on my own. The book claims it will only take five nights, we'll see

As much as I know that this is important to me and to our family, and most of all to B, it makes me sad. I will miss his little milk drunk face when he lets go in his sleep. His head rocks back and he sighs and is so content. I could hold him like that and watch him sleep for hours. Sometimes I do. The first few nights will be heartbreaking. Listening to him cry and not helping him. But I know that in the end I am helping him much more. I also want him falling asleep better by the ball so his babysitter can get him to bed. This will be the first time someone else puts him to bed, and I want it to be as easy possible for both of them.

Sorry, I know this is all over the place, I just need to get it all out and process it. My little babes is growing up too fast.
  2. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    Babies grow up too fast! It is completely normal for babies to still wake up during the night.
    My son, thankfully, sleeps through most nights but I've let him do it on his own (no training). During growth spurts, mile stones & teething, he will wake 1-2x. I just remind myself, he won't be a baby forever.
    I understand about wanting your own space. I have co slept/fallen asleep while nursing, but I do love cuddling up to hubby under the quilt lol.
    Good luck!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LILLIE View Post
    Babies grow up too fast! It is completely normal for babies to still wake up during the night.
    My son, thankfully, sleeps through most nights but I've let him do it on his own (no training). During growth spurts, mile stones & teething, he will wake 1-2x. I just remind myself, he won't be a baby forever.
    I understand about wanting your own space. I have co slept/fallen asleep while nursing, but I do love cuddling up to hubby under the quilt lol.
    Good luck!
    Thank you!

I'm not so much concerned with him waking up at night, it's more teaching him to put himself to sleep that I am concerned with. I am going to go slower on the weaning at night process than the book recommends. He eats like a horse and IMO if he's still waking up twice a night to eat then he needs to, KWIM? Their schedule is to cut nighttime feedings by two minutes each night. Based on that it will take a long while since he nurses nearly an hour each time he wakes up But I will work on feeding him on my schedule rather than his (an hour before their usual wake up time, so that they don't wake fully and have to restart the whole falling asleep process) Although he meets the age and weight requirements that they set for no nighttime feedings, I'm not going to stop until he does.
  4. Senior Member
    This. Sucks.
  5. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

6. Senior Member
    One hour of crying, one hour of just lying there, and he's sleeping peacefully. Not as bad as I expected, actually.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naughty Minx View Post
    thank you.
  8. Senior Member
    It's so hard, but so beneficial to both you and him.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    I hope this transitions smoothly and that you are able to rest well as well.
  10. Senior Member
    Thanks ladies. I feel better knowing that he was calm when he fell asleep as opposed to crying himself to sleep. This whole process is to help him learn to self soothe, and I feel like he's already learning. It was heartbreaking, and I'm sure it will be again tomorrow, but I'm optimistic and hoping for progress!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast