Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not tolerating the car?

1. Senior Member

Not tolerating the car? Update!

Advertisements
    Lately my son flips out every time we try to go anywhere. He used to just sleep in the car, now he screams literally the whole time. We just tried to run some errands, and it was so bad we had to come home. I don't know what I can do. It's not like I can just never put him in the car. I have tried everything I can think of. He has a toy thing on the carseat, I bought one for the back of the seat but I can't put it up because I don't have headrests in my car to attach it to so I need to get a different one but we are super limited on baby stuff around here. I always make sure he is fed and his diaper has been changed right before we go. I have adjusted the straps on his carseat. I just took it completely apart and put it back together to make sure there were no twists or anything. Sitting in the back with with doesn't help. He refuses a paci 90% of the time. I know some kids just hate the car, but I feel like there has to be something I'm missing. I don't want to kill all his tiny baby brain cells by letting him scream the whole time. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by maegan; 02-16-2013 at 06:30 PM.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    mine has always hated the carseat! What kinda seat is he in? An infant carrier or convertible? I just switched ds to a convertible and he seems way more comfortable in it.
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    mine has always hated the carseat! What kinda seat is he in? An infant carrier or convertible? I just switched ds to a convertible and he seems way more comfortable in it.
    Yds hated his infant carrier!
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Senior Member
    He's in an infant seat. I think it's more the car than the seat though, when we go somewhere, he's fine when we're out of the car and as soon as I put him back in the car he flips out again.
  5. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Do you have any friends around there that have a convertible carseat that you could test and see if it makes your little boy less anxious? Or test one at B'r'Us or Target. Good luck!
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

He could be struggling with being surrounded by the car (aka can't see anything around him in there so he feels boxed in, like baby claustrophobia) and if you switch to a convertible he will be able to see more around him and like it more. You can also try putting a mirror back there so he can see more through the mirror. We went through a phase similar to this with both of the girls, and it always passed. With Nikaia it took switching her to the convertible, and with Kalista it just passed on it's own.
  7. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    I screamed for the first 18 months of my life every time I was in the car. My parents never knew why. Kaia screamed for about 6 months almost every time.
  8. Senior Member
    I have a mirror but I don't know of it's big enough for him to see. I had to get a little suction cup one since the bigger ones strap onto headrests. My friend has a convertible seat, I'll have to see if I can borrow it for the day sometime.
  9. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    I have a mirror but I don't know of it's big enough for him to see. I had to get a little suction cup one since the bigger ones strap onto headrests. My friend has a convertible seat, I'll have to see if I can borrow it for the day sometime.
    I think that's a good idea and it's worth trying. If he is content in the convertible cs than he definitely hates his infant cs.

Your post gave me a deja-vu of my baby girl when she was in her infant cs. She would scream bloody murder to the point of chocking. I switched her to a convertible carseat and not even a beep from her anymore. She has so much more room/space to look around and she is not as enclosed and cramped as she used to be in the infant cs.

Hopefully you will be just as lucky and your little man will start enjoying car rides.
  10. Senior Member
    You're all geniuses! We just took our maiden voyage with the new carseat. Not a peep! This is huge. I've been stuck in the house because I didn't want to listen to him scream in the car. This is seriously going to improve my mental state so much! Thanks for all the great advice ladies!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast