Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Bed/nap time tricks

1. Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Loving life as a new sahm/w

Bed/nap time tricks

Advertisements
    I want to start getting ds on a sleep schedule of some kind. I never know when he is going to sleep, even during the day. So I can never really schedule anything around his nap time. I just kind of have to go with the flow at this point. Right now he is taking a million 10-15 min naps through out the day. Sometimes less then that. So he is pretty much grumpy all day because he isn't getting enough or deep enough sleep. So how can I get him to sleep and stay asleep. And how do I start to get him to sleep at the same time (or ish) everyday. And what time does your lo go to sleep every night and what kind of routine do you have with them?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We didn't have any schedule at all until Wyatt was about 8mos old. We let him dictate his schedule and it worked for us. He went through the stage of a million little naps (about the same age, too). When they're this little, it's hard to make any schedule with all of the growth spurts and then nursing exclusively changes up things, as well. If he sleeps in the car or in the stroller, I would make a point to take him out for an hour or so just so he'll sleep a little more. I went through a period of about a month of going to Target, getting myself a coffee and pushing the stroller for an hour. It got kinda funny because I started seeing other mothers doing the same thing as me
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I brought Aubree home from the hospital on a schedule lol. I guess that you could call me rigid, but I'm a firm believer in the child fitting to the family, not the other way around. I would start with nighttime. Create a bedtime routine specifically at the time of night that you want to put him down. Read to him, give him a bath, change his diaper, etc. Whatever you want to do as a routine. Do it in the same order, at the same time everyday. Then put him down to sleep. Over time, he will associate that routine with "time to sleep" and will adopt that nighttime schedule. After going to sleep reliably at night for a couple of weeks, try to integrate the same sort of method for naptime (but with its OWN routine, different from nighttime so that he doesn't get confused). Hug stuffed animals, sing a song, start some music, etc. Make a routine that he will associate with "naptime".
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I brought Aubree home from the hospital on a schedule lol. I guess that you could call me rigid, but I'm a firm believer in the child fitting to the family, not the other way around. I would start with nighttime. Create a bedtime routine specifically at the time of night that you want to put him down. Read to him, give him a bath, change his diaper, etc. Whatever you want to do as a routine. Do it in the same order, at the same time everyday. Then put him down to sleep. Over time, he will associate that routine with "time to sleep" and will adopt that nighttime schedule. After going to sleep reliably at night for a couple of weeks, try to integrate the same sort of method for naptime (but with its OWN routine, different from nighttime so that he doesn't get confused). Hug stuffed animals, sing a song, start some music, etc. Make a routine that he will associate with "naptime".
    Thats what I was going to say . Make up a rountine and whatever it is you do , do it in the same order at the same everyday. Even if it doesn't work immediatly , keep at it for a while. Obviously you'll need to adjust as life changes but as long as its the same song and dance everytime, he'll figure it out.
  5. Regular Member
    My daughter is a little over five months old. I don't dictate her naps. She's been keeping her own nap schedule pretty good. She usually takes 3 naps a day. Her bedtime was a little harder work. Right now, my husband is at recruiter school for about 7 weeks. So, I decided to take this time by myself to really work on her bedtime routine. It's working out nicely and we're into our second week now. I just do a really basic routine every night. At 7 pm, I change her diaper, put her in a sleeper, read a story, give her a bottle, snuggle her until she looks drowsy enough to lay down and then she's asleep within a few minutes. Sometimes she wakes up, but if I give her the pacifier, she goes right back to sleep until about 8 am. Good luck though. You can do it!