Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloth Diapers

1. Senior Member

Cloth Diapers

Advertisements
    I'm sure there have been threads about this before, but I'm sure I'm going to have a bunch of questions so I thought I would just start my own.

Those of you out there that use or have used cloth diapers, can you please explain how it works to me. haha I'm just so clueless.

Do you use them on newborns, or later on?
    What are the benefits?
    Cost wise, how much?
    How many do you need?

This is my first baby and I'm interested in doing this but really need some guidance. Thanks ladies!
  2. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    We decided not to use them but...

If they fit, you can use them on newborns. A lot of the time, they are too small for them though.

What are the benefits?
    Don't have to buy disposables, better for the environment, easier on a baby's skin.

Cost wise, how much?
    Depending on the brand, one diaper can cost anywhere from $4-$30. You'll want to start out with roughly 20-30 diapers, which can cost a couple hundred to even a thousand but you'll spend that much on disposables in no time. There's also cloth wipes if you choose to use them, which are about $2-5 each or a pack for $10-$20. Plus liners if a diaper doesn't come with them or you want extra $1-$5. And a dry/wet bag. $20-$40. Some people also get an attatchment spray head for the toilet to spray the poop off before washing - $20-$30

How many do you need?
    Answered above

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    We decided not to use them but...

Cost wise, how much?
    Depending on the brand, one diaper can cost anywhere from $4-$30. You'll want to start out with roughly 20-30 diapers, which can cost a couple hundred to even a thousand but you'll spend that much on disposables in no time. There's also cloth wipes if you choose to use them, which are about $2-5 each or a pack for $10-$20. Plus liners if a diaper doesn't come with them or you want extra $1-$5. And a dry/wet bag. $20-$40. Some people also get an attatchment spray head for the toilet to spray the poop off before washing - $20-$30
    The cleaning poop thing freaks me out a bit; I feel like it would get so much messier.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide not to use them?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I actually touch less poop now that i use cloth diapers. My son blows out of diapers no matter what we do. we have not had a single blow out since we switched to cloth
  5. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by TianaKay View Post
    The cleaning poop thing freaks me out a bit; I feel like it would get so much messier.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide not to use them?
    Didn't have the money to get all the diapers we needed in time & disposables were just easier for us. There are days that I can barely get around to washing my clothes let alone diapers. Plus, I pretty much gag every time he poops through his diaper & it gets on his clothes. I have a weak stomach when it comes to poop so I don't think cloth diapers would have gone over too well.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  6. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    You can use them from the get go. Even on preemies. They make NB diapers with a special notch for the umbilical cords. All of mine used them as NBs.

What are the benefits?
    No chemicals on your baby, cost effective, environmentally friendly, they are cute, you can adjust the absorbancy

Cost wise, how much?
    I diapered 4 kids for less than $500

How many do you need?
    2-3 dozen diapers, and 2-3 dozen wipes is a good number. People have made it by with less, and some prefer to have a bigger stash (I like a variety)
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    I actually touch less poop now that i use cloth diapers. My son blows out of diapers no matter what we do. we have not had a single blow out since we switched to cloth
    Hmmmm.... I don't like the poop thing haha. I don't wanna touch it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    Didn't have the money to get all the diapers we needed in time & disposables were just easier for us. There are days that I can barely get around to washing my clothes let alone diapers. Plus, I pretty much gag every time he poops through his diaper & it gets on his clothes. I have a weak stomach when it comes to poop so I don't think cloth diapers would have gone over too well.
    I have a pretty weak stomach too, that's why the cloth thing freaks me out and I'm awful about doing laundry. This is why I wanted to hear others experiences and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaCCK View Post
    You can use them from the get go. Even on preemies. They make NB diapers with a special notch for the umbilical cords. All of mine used them as NBs.

What are the benefits?
    No chemicals on your baby, cost effective, environmentally friendly, they are cute, you can adjust the absorbancy

Cost wise, how much?

How many do you need?
    2-3 dozen diapers, and 2-3 dozen wipes is a good number. People have made it by with less, and some prefer to have a bigger stash (I like a variety)
    Thank you for the info, I mean price and environment-wise they sound a lot better. I just hate laundry.... lol
  8. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Just 2 more loads of laundry a week for us. 3 more when I had 2 in diapers. I despise laundry also, but there is just something different about diaper laundry.
  9. Senior Member

What are the benefits?

Cost wise, how much?

How many do you need?

Just adding - I didn't start CDing until around 6 months and I was kinda scared of the same things - the poop and the fact that I hardly have time for all the regular laundry. My LO is 19.5 months and we're still CDing and I love it! I'm totally addicted. As far as the poop goes - its basically the same as, or less gross, in a CD. The only time I get bothered is if (tmi) it's especially smelly but it would be the same in either a sposie or cloth so no difference there. I do not EVER have to touch poop so no issues with that. And if he does ever have to wear disposables for whatever reason and he poops you can almost guarantee its gonna be a blow out - that never happens in cloth.

As far as laundry goes, I still never get regular laundry done (but I never did before either ) but I have enough diapers that we go a couple days between washing and I never feel stressed about it.

I have about 50-60 diapers and I wanna say I probably spent around $300 total.

Also? They're just. so. cute
    Last edited by happy_mama; 01-29-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: eta: laundry.
  10. Senior Member
    Just 2 more loads of laundry a week for us. 3 more when I had 2 in diapers. I despise laundry also, but there is just something different about diaper laundry.
    I think I could handle that much a week.

Quote Originally Posted by happy_mama View Post

Just adding - I didn't start CDing until around 6 months and I was kinda scared of the same things - the poop and the fact that I hardly have time for all the regular laundry. My LO is 19.5 months and we're still CDing and I love it! I'm totally addicted. As far as the poop goes - its basically the same as, or less gross, in a CD. The only time I get bothered is if (tmi) it's especially smelly but it would be the same in either a sposie or cloth so no difference there. I do not EVER have to touch poop so no issues with that. And if he does ever have to wear disposables for whatever reason and he poops you can almost guarantee its gonna be a blow out - that never happens in cloth.

As far as laundry goes, I still never get regular laundry done (but I never did before either ) but I have enough diapers that we go a couple days between washing and I never feel stressed about it.

I have about 50-60 diapers and I wanna say I probably spent around $300 total.

Also? They're just. so. cute
    Thank you! I think I'm going to try it. They are super cute!

Oh also, what brand(s) do you all recommend?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast