Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Non-Pureed Baby Food. HALP!

1. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries

Question Non-Pureed Baby Food. HALP!

Advertisements
    I'm so paranoid. I gave Belle a tiny piece of mashed up banana and she basically choked on it. I had to reach and and scoop it out.

I'm so paranoid now, and I don't get how I'm supposed to teach her! (Or let her teach herself.) I've tried puffs but she just picks them up, looks at them, and puts them back. She has 4 teeth and will "chew" on her pureed food, so I'm surprised she is so clueless with everything else.

I don't know what I am doing.
  2. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Try something other than bananas. Naomi is 13 months old and STILL chokes on Bananas. We try them every now and then and she always has issues. It's the texture. Also she may not be ready for solids. Naomi would "play" and "show interest" but didn't ACTUALLY want food until almost 9 months.
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Bananas aren't a good first finger food.
    Stick with food that is fry shaped. It's easier to hold and she can chew. Try soft or hard carrots, green beans, sweet potato fries.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Senior Member
    Some children's swallowing reflex take longer than others. My ds was eating table solids between 8 and 9 months. My dd choked and gagged on mashed food until she was over a year old.

You might try adding some kind of liquid to the mashed banana if you want to try it again. Otherwise I would give it a little more time and just keep offering different foods. And since she seems to be having trouble with swallowing I wouldn't give he any "slick" meat like lunch meat or anything like that.

Adding.: You could just wait until she seems to be reaching for other foods, as long as she is eating pureed foods just fine it isn't imperative that she switch to table foods just yet.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  5. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Sweet potato fries, carrots, green beans, etc are good starters. Bananas just kinda slide down the throat, you don't need to chew them.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    At 7 months, try something like this: Amazon.com: Munchkin 2 Pack Fresh Food Feeder, Colors May Vary: Baby

The mesh will prevent big chunks of food from getting through. At that age, it's mostly just about exploring tastes and textures... my son loved gnawing on things like frozen strawberries, blueberries, even ice.... especially when teething.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Ds has been eating puffs/Cheerios for about a month now but like just today has he picked them up and put them in his mouth. Before then I'd been feeding him them and anytime I came near his mouth with one he would open really huge and his eyes would widen
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Cameron's favorite food by far is steamed carrot. He does eat banana without a problem though. Every baby is different. Try a new food, and wait a bit longer on the banana.
  9. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of the advice, ladies!
  10. Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!