Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breast feeding

1. Senior Member

breast feeding

Advertisements
    This is my third child i have breast fed never had any issues with my other 2 children. But this time around, i have a clogged duct, the dr thinks. Has anyone else had this and what did they do or you do for it?
    I havedone warm compresses, hot showers, tried pumping more but that causes more pain and massage and reglan. And nothing seems to be giving in. :S
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I never had one but because I know they're pretty painful. I know quite a few mommas on here have dealt with them and my only advice would have been what you've already tried so hopefully one of them sees this and can help you out.
  3. Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    I had one and unfortunately it was so bad i was told to lance it with a needle, that was a little painful, but the instant releif was amazing!
  4. Senior Member
    mommie2my4angels that sounds painful. i am suppose to be getting and u/s of it wednesday. im nervous because of how painful it is.
  5. Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Loving life as a new sahm/w
    I have had one. I have never heard of getting an u/s done or poking a needle into it. Perisistence is the key. Your doing everything right. Just keep at it. Alot of pumping, feeding, warm compresses. and repeat. over and over and over again. And also feed LO on the side of the blocked duct first. What I did was point DS nose towards the blocked duct. I also did the "dangle" feed.

The dangle feeding.... http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/dangle-feeding/

And here is one to help with a blocked duct...... http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

Hope this helps.
  6. Senior Member
    Is it recurrent or just a one time thing? I had recurrent blocked ducts (as in once a month or more) when David was younger and my LLL leader recommended lecithin (you can find it pretty much anywhere - CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, in the vitamin section). I have been taking it twice daily since then and it has helped tremendously - haven't had a blocked duct since I started taking it.

I also haven't ever heard of lancing or getting an u/s done (though that obviously doesn't mean it doesn't happen - I'm no expert ). I personally would be skeptical though of going to a doctor with a breastfeeding problem as the majority of them don't have specialized training in the field

Here is a link on lecithin and clogged ducts. I hope you get some relief!

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/lecithin/
  7. Senior Member
    thanks i will have to try that

Quote Originally Posted by melissa8689 View Post
    I have had one. I have never heard of getting an u/s done or poking a needle into it. Perisistence is the key. Your doing everything right. Just keep at it. Alot of pumping, feeding, warm compresses. and repeat. over and over and over again. And also feed LO on the side of the blocked duct first. What I did was point DS nose towards the blocked duct. I also did the "dangle" feed.

The dangle feeding.... http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/dangle-feeding/

And here is one to help with a blocked duct...... http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

Hope this helps.
  8. Senior Member
    thanks happy_mama i had one in my other boob. now this one is in my right side. its getting bigger. it burns and has sharp pain in it, i dont know if that is normal. i will have to try looking for the vitamins.

Quote Originally Posted by happy_mama View Post
    Is it recurrent or just a one time thing? I had recurrent blocked ducts (as in once a month or more) when David was younger and my LLL leader recommended lecithin (you can find it pretty much anywhere - CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, in the vitamin section). I have been taking it twice daily since then and it has helped tremendously - haven't had a blocked duct since I started taking it.

I also haven't ever heard of lancing or getting an u/s done (though that obviously doesn't mean it doesn't happen - I'm no expert ). I personally would be skeptical though of going to a doctor with a breastfeeding problem as the majority of them don't have specialized training in the field

9. Senior Member
    I had them a couple times...I massaged them incessantly (to the point where the whole area felt bruised and sore) and after doing that for a day or two, in combination with feeding on that side first and alternating feeding positions, it went away.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_mama View Post

I was looking for you to post on this.

I've never heard of those methods either and I work in the field
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast