Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cloth diapering

1. Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!

Cloth diapering

Advertisements
    Thinking of jumping on the cloth diaper wagon. CD mommies tell me everything you know! I cloth diaper one of my daycare babies but that is as much as I know about Cloth diapers!! I am also looking for diapers if anyone has some for sale.
  2. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Cloth is amazing and has saved us so much money. I started with BumGenius and Gdiapers. The G's are hybrids and the plastic broke DD out so I sold them. BG's fit for awhile but not long so I ended up getting rid of those too. Then I had Sunbaby's which are nice, I like them a lot. Now that she's 13 months we have primarily Alva's. They are all pocket diapers with the exception of the G diaper. I prefer pockets because they are super easy to use/change. It's just like a sposie.

I am in a CoOP on FB for diapers so I can get them at a better deal. My SB and Alva's all cost less than $5/each. So CDing doesn't have to be spendy.

I have a bunch of SB for sale and a BumGenius.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

First, I have some pocket diapers in Classifieds.

Second, it's a learning process. THere will be a trial and error process on whether certain types work better for you and baby and then your wash process will be trial and error for a little bit

I started with prefolds which are the squares/rectangles of fabric that you fold around the baby and pin and then use a cover (or fold in thirds). Those are the cheapest option but for me, they were not at all convenient and I couldn't get the folds right so we were dealing with leaks. Plus, they were super, super fluffy and on mytiny little Wyatt, it was just not working.

Then there are pocket diapers (the ones I'm selling) that you stuff in inserts for the absorbancy. Those are great since you can adjust the number/kind of inserts to what works with your baby. The reason we're not using them is because I'm lazy with stuffing and Wyatt likes unstuffing so it's a real PITA. There are the standard Microfiber inserts which are okay, not awesome, then all the natural fibers - bamboo (and bamboo/MF blend), charcoal bamboo (my personal favorite), and hemp and all combinations of those.

Next are AIO (all in ones). They are the closest you'll get to a disposable. There's no stuffing, no extra layers it's just wash and wear. These are the most expensive option but they're all in one. The downside is they take longer to dry and you can't adjust absorbency (unless you just lay inserts - not MF, though - in there). I've never used one so I can't really speak any more on those.

Last are Fitteds which are what I've moved to. The entire diaper is made of absorbent fabric so to make these truly waterproof, you need a cover (either PUL, wool, or fleece). When they're wet, though, they're not dripping, just damp. I like fitteds and Wyatt does becuase they're breathable which is essential for us becuase he's very prone to rashes. When we're home, I don't use a cover, just when the front feels weet, we change. When we're out, I have covers. These are expensive when buying new (or used on some brands) but, for me, the fact that I don't have to stuff and I can just lay inserts in to adjust the absorbent level and they're breathable is all worth it.

You'll have to find a detergent that works for you. I know there's a table floating around on the internet with all detergents and how good/CD safe they are. I use Hard Rock from Rockin' Green and that's the only kind that works for us. That being said, I have bery, very hard water here so that's why I need the expensive stuff. I know people who use Tide and All Free and Clear perfectly fine. Again, it's all a learning curve.

It took me almost a year to find a diaper/brand that really works for my lifestyle and Wyatt. My best advice is to buy a few of each kind/brand you're interested and test them out before buying a stash full and realizing you hate them.
  4. Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Great!!! Thank you for sll the great advice! I will check out what you have for sale