Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night terrors in an infant?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Night terrors in an infant?

Advertisements
    So I don't know how else to explain it, but its breaking my heart!

A couple of times in the last week or so DS will be napping and all of a sudden will start screaming bloody murder. His eyes never open, he never wakes up, he just screams like he just had some awful dream. The first few times he did it I freaked and went through all the normal things to check and came up with nothing. The last few times I watched to see what happened and after 3-5 min he just stopped and went back to bed.

He never does it at night, only during nap time.

Anyone have any ideas or gone through this?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I know several moms whose children went through a period when they had night terrors. One of my friends, her son Henry had them for I think a month or so? When he was a handful of months old. He's Aubree's age though and I don't think he's had any in quite a while now. She would just go in and comfort him whenever he'd have them.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    DS does that all the time. I just put my hand on his chest & he calms down.

ETA: He's done it since he was probably a little less than 2 months. He used to do it a lot more but now it's only once maybe every few days.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I had no idea that babies so young could get nightmares! How scary. I hope it gets better.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Have you actually seen him do it? If so, does he jerk/startle before he cries? When he is awake, have you noticed any extra sensitivity to changes in his orientation or movement? I ask as it could be vestibular issues.
  6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Landon had them from about 3-6 months old. The best advice I can give you is to talk soothingly and don't try to wake him, that only makes it worse. A few things that help to lessen them is making sure they don't get overtired or overheated during their sleep.

Here's a good link for it:

13 Tips for handling night terrors in kids - Page 2

7. Senior Member
    I used to have them when I was little. From what I've been told, it happens during the same part of sleep as sleepwalking so they're not actually dreaming anything, just certain parts of the brain firing off to produce that response, if that makes sense. For what it's worth, I was a bit older when I had them, like toddler-preschool and I never remembered them the next day. hopefully it passes soon.
  8. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Madison has had bad dreams to where she gets an unsettling look on her face in her sleep for awhile. She'll wimper too. Wednesday night she woke up (no sounds to startle her) screaming bloody murder and only settled once I nursed her. It's not as uncommon as you might think. If he doesn't wake from it, don't wake him. Just soothe him with your voice and hand until he calms. A lot of what I read is babies who wake from it end up needing to be nursed back to sleep.

be cool.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks for the replies all! The first few times I woke him because I had no idea what it was, the last few times I just let it play out and soothed him by rubbing his head and it was over much more quickly and not as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Have you actually seen him do it? If so, does he jerk/startle before he cries? When he is awake, have you noticed any extra sensitivity to changes in his orientation or movement? I ask as it could be vestibular issues.
    I haven't seen a pattern of moving before it happens... he has done it some times but not others. No other changes when he is awake other then a lot more drooling

Quote Originally Posted by *YDoIGrowPeople* View Post
    Landon had them from about 3-6 months old. The best advice I can give you is to talk soothingly and don't try to wake him, that only makes it worse. A few things that help to lessen them is making sure they don't get overtired or overheated during their sleep.

Here's a good link for it:

13 Tips for handling night terrors in kids - Page 2

Thanks for the link hun!
  10. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Naomi does it on a occasion too. I think some of the time it may be dreams but I KNOW that sometimes it is growing pains. At his age right now I bet it could be that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast