Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: One sided breastfeedin

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

One sided breastfeedin

Advertisements
    OMG. I am drying up... but only on one side.

I have been favoring the right side for a while (when he is in bed with us he only eats off of my right side) and I've noticed that when I go to feed first thing in the morning my right side is fuller. So since i don't really keep track of which side he eats off of, I just offer the fuller side.
    Turns out, I've not fed him from my left side in a few days because the left side always feels empty.
    I've been trying to feed him more from the left, but he screams and fusses at it after only like 5 minutes.

How can I get the supply up in one side, with out causing supply issues in the other side?

Heck, I am half tempted to only feed from the "good" side
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would make some lactation cookies (with brewer's yeast, oats, and flax seed). Use fenugreek and blessed thistle. Stay super hydrated! In other words, increase your overall milk supply. Then nurse on alternating breasts. Your supply should return and equalize. Just what I've heard works-- I haven't had to do it myself.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Senior Member
    Just keep offering the left side first. The stimulation should help your supply to increase and should be back to "normal" within a short time.

Drinking Mother's Milk tea is supposed to help. They didn't have it available when I was nursing, but friend's of mine have used it and say it really helps.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  4. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Lm has always preferred my right and my left supply was always 1/2 as much. My right boob is a good 3 sizes bigger than my eft . Start on your left when he fusses switch to the right, while you are feeding on the right pump the left it will help stimulate ore milk. It may never be even but It will help it come back. Then just always make the effort to start on the left.
  5. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I nursed/pumped from one breast from the time Henry was about 4.5 months until he weaned at 21 months. My right breast had a dysfunctional letdown. Supply was there, but letdown was a bitch and he favored the left (me, too).

I had to supplement due to weaning the right breast. I needed to make up for what he wasn't getting from that breast. I supplemented about 12-14 or so ounces a day.
    Pax, Aeon
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I reallly don't want to increase my overall supply. My right side is always full and sore as it is, if I increased the supply I think I would either go crazy or die. Maybe both.
    I think I may just pump like crazy on that side as well as offer it to him at each feeding.
    If that does not work, I think I will just be lopsided until he weans
  7. Regular Member
    Just nurse on the smaller side. It's hard. We both have a preference for my left side. It's very noticeably larger than the right side. Although he only nurses on that side MAYBE 1 out of 10 times, there is still milk. I tried to fix it. It's simple to fix. It's just more comfortable for both of us to nurse on the left side. I never had that issue with my daughter. I never paid any attention to which side she nursed on, she was just an equal opportunity nurser, I guess! If you go to Kellymom.com, she has some tips for evening out your breasts.