Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 hour drive coming up next weekend...

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

11 hour drive coming up next weekend...

Advertisements
    HELP!

We are driving to Montgomery, Alabama next weekend for DH's SOS. Two exciting months in a large hotel suite with my DH, DS, the dog, and the cat. I AM THRILLED.

Anyhoochie. The drive should be 10-12 hours. I absolutely love driving long distances, so I'm not too concerned for myself. That being said, this will be my first long distance road trip where I can't smoke in the car, so um we will see how that goes.

Any advice for Teddy? He likes the car. He loves looking out the window, and he usually falls asleep after an hour of being in the seat. We will have lots of little toys for him. Unfortunately, Sookie will be in the backseat and strapped in there, so Dh and I can't sit back there with him to entertain him. I'm sure it'll be ok.

My main question is, outside of stopping to feed him do you have any advice to make this trip easier on him? I'm ok with frequent stops (hi, smoke break for naughty mommy). We are leaving before the sun is up, so we are prepared for it to take longer than normal.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We just did 16 hours to IL. I've done it with Aubs 6 weeks old, 9 weeks old, and now a year old. I've also done the 5 1/2 hrs to DE several times. My advice:

- If he watches TV at all, bring a portable DVD player and strap it to the headrest he's facing. Make sure that you bring a car charger for it so that you can use it for more than one DVD!
    - If he's eating solids, bring snacks! Whatever it is that he's eating-- purees (bring squeezies), puffs, etc., bring a good amount of it.
    - Bring a mix of favorite (sure to entertain) toys and new ones (new and fun!).
    - If you don't go for the portable DVD player, get a light-up mirror thing. Several brands make them, but our favorite is from Baby Einstein. It plays music and lights up, and Aubree loves it.
    - Stop on a schedule. Every X hours, stop and feed, change, the whole shebang. Even if he's not crying for it yet, he will eventually. Preempt that by taking care of it all each stop.
    - If he takes a paci, clip it on to him so that you can easily feel for it and stick it back in his mouth from the front seat.
    - Keep music playing. It will help distract him from the fact that Mommy and Daddy are close by but not playing with/holding him.

If I think of anything else, I'll come back and add it

ETA: OH! And I also advise driving at night so that he'll sleep through it. We just did that and it was a huge success! We left at bedtime (7pm) and drove straight through. Still did a couple of stops, but they were much further apart than our daytime trips.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    I can't wait to meet up!
  4. Senior Member
    Can you get yourself some nicotine gum so you don't have to stop as often and don't need to stop before you find a good place?

Have a safe trip!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Can you get yourself some nicotine gum so you don't have to stop as often and don't need to stop before you find a good place?

Have a safe trip!
    I'm actually ok with going a long time without them! I just plan to have one whenever we stop for gas/bathroom/bottle breaks And thanks! I'm nervous about other drivers, so I hope the weather is decent!

Thanks for all of the advice guys! And Hottie OMG YAY I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    We just did 16 hours to IL. I've done it with Aubs 6 weeks old, 9 weeks old, and now a year old. I've also done the 5 1/2 hrs to DE several times. My advice:

- If he watches TV at all, bring a portable DVD player and strap it to the headrest he's facing. Make sure that you bring a car charger for it so that you can use it for more than one DVD!
    - If he's eating solids, bring snacks! Whatever it is that he's eating-- purees (bring squeezies), puffs, etc., bring a good amount of it.
    - Bring a mix of favorite (sure to entertain) toys and new ones (new and fun!).
    - If you don't go for the portable DVD player, get a light-up mirror thing. Several brands make them, but our favorite is from Baby Einstein. It plays music and lights up, and Aubree loves it.
    - Stop on a schedule. Every X hours, stop and feed, change, the whole shebang. Even if he's not crying for it yet, he will eventually. Preempt that by taking care of it all each stop.
    - If he takes a paci, clip it on to him so that you can easily feel for it and stick it back in his mouth from the front seat.
    - Keep music playing. It will help distract him from the fact that Mommy and Daddy are close by but not playing with/holding him.

If I think of anything else, I'll come back and add it

ETA: OH! And I also advise driving at night so that he'll sleep through it. We just did that and it was a huge success! We left at bedtime (7pm) and drove straight through. Still did a couple of stops, but they were much further apart than our daytime trips.
    All of this, except maybe the last bit. My girls are terrors to travel with at night. They fight sleep in the car, and then if they do fall asleep it is only for a short period of time, so play that one by ear.

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  7. Senior Member
    I hope he sleeps a lot! We did the drive from FL to AK but our kids were older. I would just feed him every few hours and then you have an excuse to stop. I don't ever remember stopping every hour or anything, even when they were babies.
  8. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Usually my babies have traveled very well at that age. sounds like you have it covered Good luck!! You're going to visit mine and DH's home town! I miss it!!!!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    Usually my babies have traveled very well at that age. sounds like you have it covered Good luck!! You're going to visit mine and DH's home town! I miss it!!!!
    yay!! Any advice on things to do on weekends, OR local things that you miss that you'd like shipped out?
  10. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBear View Post
    yay!! Any advice on things to do on weekends, OR local things that you miss that you'd like shipped out?
    Um...well, theres the zoo, not too big but just the right size. There's a big mall in Birmingham, the galleria mall, that is nice to visit if you get a day to do things.... um...eat o'charleys and zaxbys and krystals..... *sigh* I miss those foods SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO much... other than that, i dont relaly know. We have family all over in Montgomery, Tuscaloosa and Millbrook/Prattville so when we're in town, we're usually bouncing from house to house
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast