Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do we make him more independent?

1. Banned
    Banned

How do we make him more independent?

Advertisements
    Cameron likes to sit with us. Now that he's 4 months, I don't want to continue the habit of constantly holding him all the time. It gets tiring, and I don't want him to be a baby who ALWAYS has to be held. He has a swing, a bouncer, an exersaucer, and a doorway jumper...but he refuses to sit in any of them for too long without freaking out.

Any tips?
  2. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

How long does he last without freaking out?
    Bella was like that. Instead if holding her all the time I would put her in whatever toy and when she freaked out(after like 15 minutes lol) I would sit her next to me on the couch. And that worked well.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    He is still pretty young, but the best thing you can do is just be consistent.

If he can handle it for 5 minutes before a meltdown, have him sit there for 6. Hopefully after a few times he will be able to tolerate 6 minutes, and then you increase it to 7, and so on.

Or maybe try putting his bouncer next to the couch so that he is still close, but your not holding him.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

He's still pretty little to really be too worried about that. At four months, I was still, more or less, wearing Wyatt while getting things done if he wasn't content somewhere else. Now, he's almost 19mos and he's fairly independent and good at keeping himself busy (although that's not always a plus as I sit with a magic eraser getting crayon off the wall)
  5. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Y*His*PITA* View Post

If he can handle it for 5 minutes before a meltdown, have him sit there for 6. Hopefully after a few times he will be able to tolerate 6 minutes, and then you increase it to 7, and so on.

Or maybe try putting his bouncer next to the couch so that he is still close, but your not holding him.

w/ this
  6. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    I agree with miss Sam, as well. I can't think of a better advice because my baby girl is the opposite of your son. She hates, hates to be held for more than 5 min. She is extremely independent and that makes me sometimes sad because I feel we are so disconnected from each other. I have to remind myself that it's how her personality is and let her be herself.

Enjoy his clinginess while it lasts. One day he will just pull back and remind you how much he has grown up.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SamInCT View Post
    How long does he last without freaking out?
    Bella was like that. Instead if holding her all the time I would put her in whatever toy and when she freaked out(after like 15 minutes lol) I would sit her next to me on the couch. And that worked well.
    Sometimes 30 seconds, other times anywhere from 5-15 minutes. He sat in his swing yesterday and watched The Mickey Mouse Club while I got a quick 20 minute nap in. He hasn't done that in a loooooong time. It was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y*His*PITA* View Post

I'll try this. I've just always heard that there are no bad habits before 4 months, so now I'm like I DON'T WANT A SUPER CLINGY BABY!
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    He's still pretty little to really be too worried about that. At four months, I was still, more or less, wearing Wyatt while getting things done if he wasn't content somewhere else. Now, he's almost 19mos and he's fairly independent and good at keeping himself busy (although that's not always a plus as I sit with a magic eraser getting crayon off the wall)
    This makes me feel better. A lot better.

And as for the crayon.... Although, at least now I know that the erasers work on crayon!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    Sometimes 30 seconds, other times anywhere from 5-15 minutes. He sat in his swing yesterday and watched The Mickey Mouse Club while I got a quick 20 minute nap in. He hasn't done that in a loooooong time. It was awesome.

I'll try this. I've just always heard that there are no bad habits before 4 months, so now I'm like I DON'T WANT A SUPER CLINGY BABY!

This makes me feel better. A lot better.

And as for the crayon.... Although, at least now I know that the erasers work on crayon!
    You're not going to make him any more clingy than he's already programmed to be that young so don't worry My "wonderful" MIL was constantly telling me to put him down and blah blah blah buut I carried him when he wanted. I'm really thankful for that time because now, he still sits in the carrier that we have for him at movies or on crowded shopping days and is always perfectly content and most of the time will fall asleep.

And, yes, those Magic Erasers work on crayon, pen, and highlighters so far I have since found a new place for all that stuff since he's learned how to stack things to get higher....
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    You're not going to make him any more clingy than he's already programmed to be that young so don't worry My "wonderful" MIL was constantly telling me to put him down and blah blah blah buut I carried him when he wanted. I'm really thankful for that time because now, he still sits in the carrier that we have for him at movies or on crowded shopping days and is always perfectly content and most of the time will fall asleep.

And, yes, those Magic Erasers work on crayon, pen, and highlighters so far I have since found a new place for all that stuff since he's learned how to stack things to get higher....
    Sounds like he is getting too smart for his own good.
  10. Senior Member
    i held makenzi everyday until she didnt let me anymore. she is NOT clingy at all. i dont believe you can spoil babies. he will grow out of it but it also will not hurt him to just let him cry for a few minutes
    Don't judge someone just because they sin differently than you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast