Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you leave you child with a babysitter for the first time?

1. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made

How did you leave you child with a babysitter for the first time?

Advertisements
    So DH came home from work & said he had a "proposition". His co-worker has a 22 year old daughter who is apparently a really good babysitter. So DH wants to take me out this weekend for an early movie (Twilight! ) & then out to dinner. He & I both know I need a break especially when DS has his screaming battle days, which take their toll on me but as soon as he said that, I already had DS in my arms asleep & I just hugged him tight.

How did you work yourself up to leave your child alone with someone else for the first time? How old were they?

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Aubree was 8 1/2 months old-- I went to get a Brazilian wax before DH got home. Honestly, though, I should have done it earlier. I was struggling and could have used the break. Next time around, I'll probably do it once the baby STTN on a regular basis.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Senior Member
    DD was 3 months when DH and I got our first date night, I might have done it sooner but I didn't feel good enough til then. There wasn't much to do before then but reminded myself I could be right back in 15 mintutes or less and its was only going to be a couple hours overall. We did a dinner and movie too and I called before and after the movie and then before and after dinner but left the in between to pretend I was ok and enjoy my time with DH
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My mom took Zach to her house (about 15 min away from us) last friday night for the whole night. To be honest it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be... I missed him and the house felt empty but I needed the break and knew he was in great hands. I dropped him off around 7pm and picked him up the next day around 10am.

As for a stranger/someone he isn't used to, I think I would want to wait a while longer. I want to say I would wait until he could talk, but then again I am very lucky to have a lot of family around so that I wont have to use a babysitter outside of family/close friends for a while.

Forgot, my mom also watched him while DH and I went out to dinner and then Home Depot at around 4 weeks.
  5. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I had left ODD with DH alone a few times starting at 2 1/2 months. Worked my way up to letting my mom watch her when she was 6 months or so. Then my aunt when she was 1 1/2. She didn't have a non family member watch her until she was like 3 1/2 or so and could tell me if something happened to her, if the sitter was mean or she didn't like the sitter.

I have major trust issues so it was really hard for me. I had to keep reassuring myself she'd be ok. There were other kids with her during her first time so I figured it was a little safer in a group setting. Basically just kept telling myself how much I wanted and needed the break/activity and how ODD would be fine.

YDD was 10 months when I left her with a friend for the first time. It was a little easier because I was now used to ODD being taken care of by strangers all day at school and occasional babysitters. Plus I knew and trusted the friend. It was for a doctor's appointment that was extremely important that she couldn't come to, so I just kept telling myself that it was necessary to make myself leave her. Same thing when I had to start putting YDD in hourly care at the base day care when my friend couldn't watch her for my appointments. Now I'm more comfortable with it nd just have some mommy guilt for leaving her even though she has a great time while I'm gone.
  6. Living in paradise :D
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    My mom took Zach to her house (about 15 min away from us) last friday night for the whole night. To be honest it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be... I missed him and the house felt empty but I needed the break and knew he was in great hands. I dropped him off around 7pm and picked him up the next day around 10am.

As for a stranger/someone he isn't used to, I think I would want to wait a while longer. I want to say I would wait until he could talk, but then again I am very lucky to have a lot of family around so that I wont have to use a babysitter outside of family/close friends for a while.

Forgot, my mom also watched him while DH and I went out to dinner and then Home Depot at around 4 weeks.
    :Yes Especially the first paragraph when I left ODD with DH and my mom.
  7. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I wish I could leave him with family but that's not an option. I leave him with DH alone all the time but that doesn't bother me because he's his child too.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  8. Living in paradise :D
    Oh, and I started leaving YDD alone with DH within her first couple of weeks for my postpartum appointments.

The thing with me leaving my kids with DH first is I can know how great/better I feel getting a break and knowing she's still ok when I get back. It's easier to leave them with a sitter keeping that in mind and having experienced it to an extent.
  9. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I left DS with my mom about 3 times during the first month.

The first time I left him with someone who wasn't family was when he was around 3 months? I was a nervous wreck and texted/called probably every hour She was very understanding, and he was perfectly fine when we picked him up. It got easier after that. Now, Landon's a year old and I don't even feel the need to check in on him while I'm out.

10. Senior Member
    I still have yet to leave Matt with a babysitter. I have cousins out here who have offered, but i've declined. I'm not ready yet.

I hope you're able to be comfortable with it, so you can enjoy a night with your DH!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast