Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Exclusivley Pumping

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Help Exclusivley Pumping

Advertisements
    Anyone else exclusively pump?

We have been doing it since day 3 and I am still trying to get my barrings on the whole thing and would love to chat with some other mom's who have done this successfully (aka: I don't wanna keep bombarding Trina with all my questions/vents )

We are still trying to get a schedule down. I was doing it every 3 hours but lately have been able to stretch it to 4-5 hours and haven't had any dips in my supply yet. Actually been putting more out and have been making daily contributions to my freezer stash!

What is your schedule? How long do you pump for? Are you making a stash? Give me your life pumping story!
  2. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I mainly EP'd with Henry as he had tongue tie issues. I pumped between part and full time until he reached 5.5 months. I had a love-hate relationship with the pump. Once I established my supply (had low supply due to his tongue tie) I was producing a good amount of milk and created a decent stash. My output for a period of time was 51 ounces. That's a lot. He was fattening up so I was more than pleased, but it was still a bitch. My right breast has a dysfunctional letdown so it takes a while for milk to flow and it takes a stronger/faster suction speed to draw milk. That meant sitting on the pump a good 45 minutes in order to get the milk I needed. That also meant very bruised nipples for months. I had no issues with my left breast. Great letdown and supply. So that part of pumping was exhausting and painful, but I kept at it.

During the day, I pumped every 2-3 hours for the first month and 3-4 after that. At times I played around with my schedule and would go as long as 4-5 hours during the day. I would go about 4 hours at night. I wouldn't skip night sessions because prolactin levels are highest at night and nursing/pumping at night helps to maintain a good supply.

I rented a hospital grade pump from my LC. Medela Lactina Select. I also took an assortment of galactagogues to build and help maintain my supply.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed pumping more if it hadn't been for the letdown issues I had with my right breast. That just made it awful. I was only content to continue because he needed my milk and I liked seeing him plump up.
    Pax, Aeon
  3. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Justmommies has a great pumping board. I frequented it a lot when Henry was a baby.
    Pax, Aeon
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks for info on the other forum, I will have to look into that.

I thought things were going "good" until I went for my 6 week apt. with my midwife and we were talking about pumping and I was telling her how it was still really painful but we were getting through it. Apparently its not supposed to be painful anymore, or at least not as much pain as I am in... She gave me an rx. cream that is supposed to help but I have to make an apt. with an LC to have her check out my pump and breast shield to see if I am doing something wrong or have the wrong sizes.

I pump roughly every 4-5 hours during the day right now and then every 3 hours at night since like you said, produce more at that time and I am up feeding him anyway so might as well!