Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How often, how long?

1. Señor Member
    Señor Member

How often, how long?

Advertisements
    How often did you feed when your baby was days old?

It seems like I have to wake her every three hours or she's perfectly content to go longer without eating. I'll go about 2.5-4 hours, ten minutes on each side (she ends up just unlatching in her sleepiness). The whole time I'm bugging her to keep her awake. Is this normal?

She poops at least every 8-9 hours and has a wet diaper every six or so hours if that makes any difference.

be cool.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Aubs fell asleep while nursing a lot at first and I had to wake her up after 4 or so hours too. I was told that babies are supposed to have 8-10 wet/dirty diapers per day when they're newborns, so...yeah lol. Hope that helps a bit.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    They say they first 24 hours they sleep like crazy and then slowly start waking up a bit more over the next few days. 8-10 wet diapers is a good indicator that she is getting enough. Make sure to keep an eye on her weight (if your not still at the hospital)... Zach started losing weight fast and it was our first indicator he wasn't getting enough with me nursing.

They told me to wake him every 3 hours for the first 2 weeks... at that point he was "trustworthy" enough to let me know when he was hungry and he also wasn't losing weight anymore so we started feeding on his schedule.
  4. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Mine fed on demand, but for the first week or so they slept a lot so I made sure to wake them every two hours. They'd nurse 10 minutes on each side, but after a few weeks they would nurse from only one side during a feeding.
    Pax, Aeon
  5. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
    Mine fed on demand, but for the first week or so they slept a lot so I made sure to wake them every two hours. They'd nurse 10 minutes on each side, but after a few weeks they would nurse from only one side during a feeding.
    This is how it was for my kids too, except for Lex who was in the NICU. I woke them up every 2 hours or so to nurse for a bit. They were super sleepy, but would get about 10 minutes in.

I'd keep an eye on the wet diaper output and try to make sure there's 8-10 wet ones.
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Every two hours (3-4 at the most).
    Stick with feeding from one side a feed unless she is hungry for more. Let her set her feedig time. You want her to feed on one side to get all the fat of the hindmilk.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Also the amount if diapers should be the number of wet diapers for her age + 1. So two days old she should have three wet diapers.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My baby was a very VERY sleepy baby. I had to undress him to get him to eat enough in the first few weeks. Sleepy babies are pretty normal, frustrating, but normal