Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your infant?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

What do you do with your infant?

Advertisements
    So I have never been a baby/infant person. In all my years of working with and being around children I have always preferred the 9 months to about 4 years old age group. I know what to do with them, I can interact easily with them, I have just always connected better with them.

So what do you do all day with an infant?

We of course feed, pump, change diapers, cuddle a little bit, do some time on his play mat, talk to him, ect... but there are SO many hours left in the day and I just look at him and have no idea what to do.
  2. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Talk. Talk. Talk. Talk. Talk. Talk.

Do a lot of face to face stuff where you are looking at each other...imitation is fun; soon he will start sticking his tongue out at you when you do it to him. Make faces!

Read to him...just talk to him about the pictures and touch them while labeling them. Sing and let him touch bunch of different textures.

Tummy time (as much as he can stand!)
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Luz*de*su*Vida View Post

Do a lot of face to face stuff where you are looking at each other...imitation is fun; soon he will start sticking his tongue out at you when you do it to him. Make faces!

Read to him...just talk to him about the pictures and touch them while labeling them. Sing and let him touch bunch of different textures.

he already sticks his tongue out but that normally means he wants more food!

We do a lot of talking, and do a lot of face to face while he is eating. He gets a lot of stimulation as far as texture and stuff like that when he does mat time.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

This!

5. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Everything Luz said. I also found bright, fun learning movies/shows and had him watch them in his rocker. When he hit around 3 months I put him in his bouncer and let him play in that while watching them. He loved it, and it gave me a little "hands free" time.

6. Banned
    Banned
    Dress him in stupid outfits
  7. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    he already sticks his tongue out but that normally means he wants more food!

We do a lot of talking, and do a lot of face to face while he is eating. He gets a lot of stimulation as far as texture and stuff like that when he does mat time.
    But it's fun to watch...just hold him so you're looking at each other and stick your tongue out slowly at him...he will start doing it back. But remember, right now, he needs to focus on one thing at a time. If you're bored and don't know what to do, sit him between your legs and make faces at him

The stimulation while he's on the mat is awesome, but talk to him about the textures while he is on the mat..."oooo that's rough! Feel how silky and soft?" and then have him touch it.

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Dress him in stupid outfits
    Oh I am so not that parent... if my mom wasn't here to dress him, that kid would be in a diaper all day. So much less laundry that way!
  9. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries

All of this!

I remember when a couple of months ago feeling like maybe I should be doing more with Belle, but it all turned out okay. Truth is, there really is only so much you can do with an infant. It doesn't hurt to let them lay on a blanket/mat on the floor on their own, let them learn to be content without mommy or daddy right there.
  10. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Ooooo! Cause and effect learning is fun too! If you have stuff that lights up, start taking his hand and hitting it. It's fun to watch how they start trying to figure out how you made it light up or make the noise (although not for a couple months still).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast