Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotavirus

1. Senior Member

Rotavirus

Advertisements
    Curious about others experience with this virus. I know it is a very contagious virus, especially in the daycare setting since it is transmitted through fecal matter. I'm trying to decide if i want to continue with this vaccine. I got him the first dose of it, but I'm not really sure its risks are worth the reward. Although since the first dose appears to be the most risky, and he has already had it, I'm not sure there is a point in stopping.

Anyone have their infant catch this virus that stayed at home and was ebf? It seems so incredibly unlikely that he will catch this virus since he isnt around other children and most likely wont be until he is in prek.
    Last edited by Subwife; 11-03-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Misspelling
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Well, I can tell you as a former daycare worker I caught it from an infant who doctor didn't seem to think vaccinations applied to him or his patients and its awful, like cartoon potty humor come to life, want to crawl under a rock awful. It ended up that he, both his parents, me, and a few of the kids, despite my obsession with cleaning, all ended up getting it. No one ended up in the emergency room or anything, but for the little guys it can be pretty scary because of the sheer level of illness and how fast it knocks you on you butt. However, if I remember correctly it affected the adults worse then the children but it was still gnarly.
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    If you take him out of the house or anyone ever comes in your house he has a chance to get it. Plus if you ever want to take him to play groups he could get it.
    It he's gotten one dose why not finish it?
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    If you take him out of the house or anyone ever comes in your house he has a chance to get it. Plus if you ever want to take him to play groups he could get it.
    It he's gotten one dose why not finish it?
    This. Pretty unlikely he won't come into contact with groups of kids until he is in prek.
  5. Senior Member
    That's one of the ones I didn't think twice about getting. I'd get it, it's so easy to catch and there's frequently cases that pop up of it.
  6. Senior Member

I'ma homebody so it is actually unlikely for him to run into a group of children. I don't know a single person in the area besides my dh and our family. Which is why i was considering not getting it.

I won't be starting any mommy and me things until he is about 3 since they aren't offered here and it's not nearly as serious at that age. I'm not really a fan of the live virus vaccines so unless i thought he would actually run into it during the first year of his life i was considering not bothering.
  7. Senior Member
    Do you ever take him out of the house? How about to a grocery store? His Ped's office? If you answered yes to any ONE of these, and there are hundred more. Then he WILL come in contact with it.Disclaimer: this is MY opinion, no one else's. Disclaimer I personally think its stupid NOT to vaccinations UNLESS there is an underlying health risk. Why would you want to put you child (or anyone else's child) at risk that! I would continue the course. But THAT'S JUST ME. I would hate to think that my child got an immuno deficient child {who therefore can't get vax} deathly I'll
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    If your child ever...ever- leaves the house (you know, to go to the grocery store, the gas station, the corner store, or even worse- the doctors office), then yes, get the rotovirus vaccine. especially since you have started it, why not finish?
  9. Senior Member

Yes i leave the house but it is not an airborne illness. It is purely transmitted through poo and remains of poo on people. I don't really feel as though i would be putting anyone at risk not getting this vaccine since he won't be in day care with someone else changing him, and i always scrub after i change him. Rotovirus isn't the damn plague quit acting like it is. My child wouldn't be some bio-terrorist on the loose spreading the runs to everyone we walk past. Not to mention i said i probably would continue it since i started it already i just wanted to make sure i wasn't risking vaccine reactions for something that was unlikely. Which is why i asked for peoples experience with the virus since it's a pretty new vaccine
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Subwife View Post
    Yes i leave the house but it is not an airborne illness. It is purely transmitted through poo and remains of poo on people. I don't really feel as though i would be putting anyone at risk not getting this vaccine since he won't be in day care with someone else changing him, and i always scrub after i change him. Rotovirus isn't the damn plague quit acting like it is. My child wouldn't be some bio-terrorist on the loose spreading the runs to everyone we walk past. Not to mention i said i probably would continue it since i started it already i just wanted to make sure i wasn't risking vaccine reactions for something that was unlikely. Which is why i asked for peoples experience with the virus since it's a pretty new vaccine
    I know how its transmitted as its the same virus that occurs in animals and its transmitted the same way. I am not acting like a its the plague but I know how prevalent it is in the environment (because even though its spread by poo, that means that anyone who has the smallest amount of poo particles on their hands, as many mothers do because lets be honest, life happens) and it gets on anything liek a shopping cart handle or a door handle, it its so easily spread to children. Its crazy prevalent. Thats why people get the vaccine.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast