Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Low weight gain

1. Senior Member

Low weight gain

Advertisements
    So at my son's last appointment he was weighed and measured again as always, and in just over a month he had gained less than a pound. Dont get me wrong he is still a big guy, but that was so much less weight per day then he had gained previously. At his one month check he was 22 1/2 inches and 12.13 lbs, at his 2 month appointment he was 25 1/4 and only 13.11 lbs.

The pediatrician didnt seem concerned but he was under the recommended amount of grams per day to gain. Which struck me because before he was over the recommended by a bit.

Anyone else experience this? He went from gaining 45 grams a day to only gaining 13
  2. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    I wouldn't worry if his doctor isn't worried. If he's still not gaining much within the next month or two then just talk to his doctor and express your concerns.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I wouldn't worry too much. Every kid grows at a different rate.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    he has also grown almost 2 inches in length. I would not worry about it, he will be hitting another growth spurt here in about a month and should start gaining again.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much. Every kid grows at a different rate.

Babies/kids tend to develop their own "growth curve." If he's following his growth curve, I wouldn't worry about it too much. DD is a slow gainer in comparison to the average, but she's maintained the same rate of growth since she was two weeks old.
  6. Senior Member

I guess it didnt sit right with me since he was gaining so much and then started gaining so little. It didnt seem "normal" for him but i guess he is only two months old we havent established a normal yet. It is hard not to worry about him, I cant wait until he can talk
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Subwife View Post
    I guess it didnt sit right with me since he was gaining so much and then started gaining so little. It didnt seem "normal" for him but i guess he is only two months old we havent established a normal yet. It is hard not to worry about him, I cant wait until he can talk
    My theory is that with kids (and pregnancy) there is no such thing as normal since they all differ so much
  8. Banned
    Banned
    DS was 9.6 at birth, 11.1 at 1 month, 13.3 at 2 months, and he was 14.3 (with clothes and a full diaper, the doc is estimating an actual weight under 14) on Monday. He's also really short, so we think he was just a teeny tiny little guy born big because of my diabetes, and now he's leveling out. If you had GD (I cant remember of you did or not) that could be the reason for the slowed weight gain.

I'm sure he's fine! I totally understand the worry though.