Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaccinations

1. Senior Member

Vaccinations

Advertisements
    I am really struggling with deciding if i want to vaccinate my son. There are so many more vaccines than there were when i was a child that it makes me terribly uneasy. I'm just not sure that i honestly trust they are all truly safe or necessary. It seems that the information regarding safety of vaccines is fairly censored, since they want you to get them. I'm just not sure what is best for my son. I feel like this is such a huge choice, i know the odds are following the schedule and not questioning it would be totally fine but i dont know how i would live with myself if it wasnt.

I have a perfect healthy beautiful baby boy that i dont want to destroy with making the wrong choice. These choices were so much easier to make before i was a parent.
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Can you talk to your son's doctor about which would be most important to get right away? There are some parts of the country that have experienced outbreaks of whooping cough (pertussis) so the DTaP vaccine is still quite useful. The RV (rotavirus) is likely very important too because you can contract rotavirus from many sources including other people (fecal material). I think your doctor would be likely to work with you for a delayed schedule if you want but there are some vaccines that are going to be important to get ASAP.

What are you worried about happening? Not EVERY vaccine in existence is necessary but there are some that definitely offer more protection than bad side effects, so I hope you can talk to your doctor about options.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I know Im not a mom, but there is no doubt in my mind that I will vaccinate. Its better for public health, and TBH, I find a kid dying of whooping cough, smallpox or hepatitis to be much worse than a vaccination can ever be. I dont believe any of the hype on vaccines (as someone in, and with a lot of friends/colleagues in various fields of the medical and epidemiological fields). I think a lot of it is overblown hype, just like a lot of the 'organic' movement is BS. The autism study and vaccinations has been proven to be fabricated. And I myself get vaccine reactions, bad ones, and I am so glad still I am vaccinated against things like menengitis, tetanus and other things that will easily kill.
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Also, are you sure there is necessarily more vaccines now? You're 25 right? ( on your profile) I'm 24 and I have all the vaccines that are the recommended ones for new babies now. It's been pretty standardized for many years now.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I know Im not a mom, but there is no doubt in my mind that I will vaccinate. Its better for public health, and TBH, I find a kid dying of whooping cough, smallpox or hepatitis to be much worse than a vaccination can ever be. I dont believe any of the hype on vaccines (as someone in, and with a lot of friends/colleagues in various fields of the medical and epidemiological fields). I think a lot of it is overblown hype, just like a lot of the 'organic' movement is BS. The autism study and vaccinations has been proven to be fabricated. And I myself get vaccine reactions, bad ones, and I am so glad still I am vaccinated against things like menengitis, tetanus and other things that will easily kill.
    This, vaccinations were invented for a reason.

6. AMD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I agree completely.

OP, look into the Dr. Sears Vaccinations book (it's called Vaccines or Vaccinations). It's a pretty good non-biased look at all the different vaccines out there. He also is a guest on one of the Pregtastic podcasts and talks a little about it there, too. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Found it.

http://www.pregtastic.com/dr-sears-and-vaccines/
  7. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Also, are you sure there is necessarily more vaccines now? You're 25 right? ( on your profile) I'm 24 and I have all the vaccines that are the recommended ones for new babies now. It's been pretty standardized for many years now.
    I didn't get nearly as many vaccines as a baby as are on the schedule now. My mom and I just talked about it because of my pregnancy and she dug out the old card with all my dates on it. I think every state used to be different back in the day, didn't it? I mean I got most of the vaccines that babies get now but not nearly as many times... I never got the chicken pox vaccine and I opted out of the HPV vaccine (I know that's not a baby vaccine but those are the only two I know for sure that I never had). I only got the MMR vaccine once or twice. Dtap was a big one, that I got three or four times but now I just get a tetanus booster instead of the three in one. I know I was vac'd for hepatitis as per my card. But most of the others I've never had.

Boop, probably shouldn't say that since I don't have the card in front of my right this second and thinking about it I'm sure I must have gotten the small pox vaccine and so forth. My point is, when we talked about it they were the same vaccines just not nearly as often.
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well, from a child's standpoint, I believe the vaccines I receive had nothing but positive affects. In fact I really wish that there had been a chicken pox vaccine when I was a child, because it would have saved me a lot of grief, I wouldn't have scars on my face, and more than likely I wouldn't have gotten shingles. There are more vaccines available now than when I was little, but I only see that as a good thing ... I'm jealous that I didn't have those same medical advances when I was a kid.
  9. Senior Member
    Exactly what Vino said. Vaccines protect everyone, especially those that cannot have them. There are many children that are unable to get them and those are the most vulnerable.

Remember, you can do a delayed schedule. My Mom did that for me because of egg allergies.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  10. There's no testimony without the test.
    There's no testimony without the test.
    I had this dilemma with my daughter since she is so much younger than my sons. I just took them to get every shot, on time no questions asked. With her I had heard so many bad things that I was scared about it. I did as much research as I could and talked to her doctor and decided to go ahead with all the shots on schedule. I don't think there is anything wrong with going with a different schedule than the " normal recommended" one if you so choose and feel strong about it. Be prepared for some harsh words from people though if you choose to go a different route because I have seen mom's question certain vaccinations and people treat them like they have lost their mind. Good Luck
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast