Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Cord care

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't submerge it

15 78.95%
  • Submerging is a-okay

0 0%
  • Don't do anything to clean/help it. It will fall off on its own.

10 52.63%
  • Clean with alcohol to help clean it/dry it out

7 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S/O Umbilical Care

1. Banned
    Banned

S/O Umbilical Care

Advertisements
    How were you told to care for your LO's cord? Our hospital gave all babies a fully submerged bath (not Cameron though. He never got a bath there) and told us that submerging the cord stump was perfectly okay once it had dried. We were also told to clean it twice a day with alcohol and a q-tip.
  2. Senior Member
    Here in the UK, we advise to leave it well alone, you can bathe a baby if you wish though not to use any products just warm water. Here they generally have fallen off by day 7-10 no problems. In the 4 years I have been doing this, I have seen only one infection so they are rare and I think leaving it alone seems to work well
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Last edited by AwwSnail; 10-27-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    :)
    Blog Entries
    With ODD we were told to not let it get wet and to use alcohol once a day. It seemed to take a long time to fall off until I was taking a dress off her and it ripped it off

With YDD hers dried out real quick from being under that blue light for a week. They gave her a bath (submerged) the day before we took her home and the next day it fell off.

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  5. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I was told don't submerge it, and to leave it alone. EVERYTHING I have ever read online says not to submerge it as well, and I think it's really weird anyone would ever be told bathing right away with fully submerging the cord is okay. I was told by multiple people it can delay healing and cause infection if it's submerged.

This is exactly what I was told by everyone I knew inculding my and/or DD's doctors...
    Umbilical Cord
    How do I go about caring for an umbilical cord stump?
    Keep the stump clean and dry, and try to keep your baby's diaper from covering it (fold the diaper down in the front, or buy the newborn diapers that have a small cut-out in that area). These techniques will help keep the stump dry, exposed to air, and clean from urine and fecal matter.
    The Umbilical Cord Remnant
    If your baby's diaper touches the cord remnant, fold the waistband down to avoid chafing and allow the umbilical cord exposure to air. Don't let the umbilical cord be submerged in bath water, as this can cause infections and delay healing.
    How to Bathe Your Newborn | Infant Bathing | Baby Bath | Babble
    Before your baby’s umbilical cord stump falls off, you won’t be submerging her or him in water, so you’ll want supplies for a sponge bath.
    Baby's First Bath - Baby - Families.com
    Until your baby's umbilical cord stump falls off, you cannot submerge the baby in water. So the first bath at home is relatively simple.
    Infant Bathing Tips
    Your newborn's first few baths will take place without being submerged in water. This is important so as not to get the belly button area where the umbilical cord is still attached wet. To prevent infection from taking place it is recommended that you clean the surface area around the cord with an alcohol soaked swab.
    I can keep going... Like I said I find it very odd any doctor would say it's okay to submerge the baby while it's cord was still attached.
    Signature removed due to size.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We were told not to submerge. Z got a bath at the hospital but it was a very intrusive sponge bath. This has been my understanding and what I have heard form parents and friends for at least the last 10 years I have been working with kids.

I also asked my pediatrician about the cleaning it with alcohol because my mom asked me if I should be doing that and she said that there were studies that showed cleaning it with alcohol had the same effect as doing nothing so while its perfectly OK to do it, it doesn't really do anything for it.
  7. Senior Member
    With both my boys they told me sponge bath was okay and I can clean it with alcohol. They gave him a sponge bath at the hospital and told me not to submerge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyof2in09 View Post
    With ODD we were told to not let it get wet and to use alcohol once a day. It seemed to take a long time to fall off until I was taking a dress off her and it ripped it off

With YDD hers dried out real quick from being under that blue light for a week. They gave her a bath (submerged) the day before we took her home and the next day it fell off.
    With my youngest it had been caught on his diaper and I accidently ripped it off too
  8. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Don't submerge until it's completely off & to keep it dry with alcohol.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  9. Senior Member
    We were told not to submerge and to leave it alone.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

i was told to leave it alone with both kids.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast