Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Need BF help!

1. Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Loving life as a new sahm/w

Need BF help!

Advertisements
    So I thought DS and I were finally on an every two hour feeding schedule. Everything was going so good my breast were healing up he was latching on correctly. Then about 6 days ago everything changed. I had gotten a blocked duct and he quit latching on correctly all in the same day. Well my duct is no longer blocked now but he still isn't latching on correctly anymore. My nipples are raw again and I'm on pain the whole time he is feeding, to the point I'm crying. I've tried delatching him and relatching him but still no relief. Its like a constant pinching feeling. Maybe tmi but my nipples seem like the have gotten huge since becoming pregnant could that be part of the problem? It always takes a few minutes to even simi big enough to latch on. Ds seems like during the day he is eating every 30 min. after feeding He falls asleep and 30 min later he wakes up crying I change him still crying burp him (seems like every time I burp him its a wet burp) yes I do burp him after I fed him also. He still cries... I swaddle him rock him... Still cries... My last option feed him again because he is looking for my breast/sucking on his hand... At this point I have no clue what to do anymore. It seems like I can't clean, eat,shower, really anything at this point. I feel like I'm not producing enough milk or something.

So I guess my questions are...

1. How can I get him to latch on correctly again?

2. What else can I do to calm him down?

3. How do I know I'm producing enough milk?

4. What can I do about my sore breast?

5. Could he be having a problem with my breast milk?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Just keep making sure he's opening his mouth wide enough. I don't really know, BoobieFeeder will have more advice for you, I never had latch problems with Wyatt. The boy's serious about his food

2. What else can I do to calm him down?

3. How do I know I'm producing enough milk?

I'm going to wager a guess that your production is not the issue right now, it's that he's going through a growth spurt and is making more milk hence the crazy amount of feedings. If the tickers are correct, the timing is right on with a growth spurt and you will feel like all you do is feed him but I promise it will end and the feedings will space out again.

4. What can I do about my sore breast?

Are you using lanolin or another BF'ing nipple cream? That combined with warm showers and cold packs help really well with the nipples. Also, once he's done (every time), wash your boob off and then express some new milk and rub that on the raw nipples. Breast milk is GREAT for that (also for diaper rashes, too )

He could be. If you're concerned, eliminate dairy completely from your diet (again, BoobieFeeder will know the timeline) and then slowly introduce it back in to see if that causes a problem. However, I really tink he's just having a growth spurt. Wyatt did that at 2-3 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, and then a bunch of other times.

I know how exhausted you are but hang in there, you're doing great!
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    It's possible it has nothing to do with this, but I'm just giving you my experience.

My nipples were ridiculously sore for the first 12 or so days (bleeding, etc). Then it got better, and suddenly around 3 weeks it began hurting more than when I first started. It turned out DS had thrush and gave it to me. Have you looked in your son's mouth (even just under the tongue)? Are your nipples red/irritated looking? I'd personally check that out first.

Otherwise, everything huladango said

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa8689 View Post
    So I thought DS and I were finally on an every two hour feeding schedule. Everything was going so good my breast were healing up he was latching on correctly. Then about 6 days ago everything changed. I had gotten a blocked duct and he quit latching on correctly all in the same day. Well my duct is no longer blocked now but he still isn't latching on correctly anymore. My nipples are raw again and I'm on pain the whole time he is feeding, to the point I'm crying. I've tried delatching him and relatching him but still no relief. Its like a constant pinching feeling. Maybe tmi but my nipples seem like the have gotten huge since becoming pregnant could that be part of the problem? It always takes a few minutes to even simi big enough to latch on. Ds seems like during the day he is eating every 30 min. after feeding He falls asleep and 30 min later he wakes up crying I change him still crying burp him (seems like every time I burp him its a wet burp) yes I do burp him after I fed him also. He still cries... I swaddle him rock him... Still cries... My last option feed him again because he is looking for my breast/sucking on his hand... At this point I have no clue what to do anymore. It seems like I can't clean, eat,shower, really anything at this point. I feel like I'm not producing enough milk or something.

So I guess my questions are...

Make sure he's opening his mouth wide enough, and that you aren't just pulling him off OUCH! If you need him to relatch stick your pinky in the side of his mouth to break the seal. A lactation consultant might be really helpful too. You can try your local la leche league, an independent consultant, or some hospitals have one you can call to answer any questions.

2. What else can I do to calm him down? When DS got super colicy a friend reccomended gripe water and that stuff saved my life.

3. How do I know I'm producing enough milk? Milk is supply and demand, it sounds like he's just going through a cluster feeding stage/growth spurt.

4. What can I do about my sore breast? In the begining I had blisters on my nipples from breast feeding I highly reccomend calling your doctor and asking for a prescription of all purpose nipple ointment (APNO) it's baby safe, and works 1000 times better than lanolin. Another thing I learned was not to soap them up in the shower because it tends to dry out the skin and remove the oils that are there to protect them.

He could be, but its very very unlikely. Human milk is the best for human babies. It could also be that he doesn't agree with something your eating. Avoid acidy food or spicy foods and chocolate ds had issues when i would eat chocolate :/ you can find a list of possible foods to avoid on google.
  5. Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    It's possible it has nothing to do with this, but I'm just giving you my experience.

My nipples were ridiculously sore for the first 12 or so days (bleeding, etc). Then it got better, and suddenly around 3 weeks it began hurting more than when I first started. It turned out DS had thrush and gave it to me. Have you looked in your son's mouth (even just under the tongue)? Are your nipples red/irritated looking? I'd personally check that out first.

Otherwise, everything huladango said
    How would I go about treating it, because it sounds like I do have that. It seems like it hurts much worse then when he wasn't latching on right. My nipples are really really raw and like bright pink. And does it continue to hurt after feeding (like inside the boob and nipple)?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by melissa8689 View Post
    How would I go about treating it, because it sounds like I do have that. It seems like it hurts much worse then when he wasn't latching on right. My nipples are really really raw and like bright pink. And does it continue to hurt after feeding (like inside the boob and nipple)?

You have to go to the doctor for Thurst. Your DS has to be treated too.

I hated having DS latch because he wouldn't do it correctly so I ended up pumping for 6 months!