Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solids...HELP!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Help Solids...HELP!

Advertisements
    We got the go ahead from the pediatrician to start Teddy on cereal. We are going with the baby oatmeal instead of rice...he takes Gentlease formula already, so I don't want to constipate him or give him gas issues, etc.

Anyhoochie. Said pediatrician gave me absolutely NO instructions on what to do. How much do I give him? When? How many days before I start the level 1 veggies after cereal? When I do that, how often throughout the day? In addition to cereal? And formula?? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO!

Any advice/timelines would be EPIC and so so so very much appreciated!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    for cereal I would make it fairly liquidy at first, so he can suck it off the spoon, I would give it to him some one in the AM and one in the Pm ( about 4-5)
    you will only need to make 1-2 tablespoons.
    then feed it to him exclusively for 3 - 4 days - this way if he has any kind of allergic reaction you will know what it is.

then after those 3-4 days start with a veggie, green beans, peas, ect. then again wait 2- 3 days to see if there is a reaction, then try 'sweet" veggies, sweet potatoes, ect. keep giving him oatmeal 2 times a day and add the veggie at lunch time.

then after those try fruit, applesauce first ( least likely to react) then pears, peaches, mixed fruit ect.

then you can add fruit to the oatmeal and actually serve a meal of cereal, veggies and fruit.

this is a long process, and should not be rushed to avoid allergic reactions.

oh and one more thing- do not feed from the jar, place a tablespoon or 2 in a small bowl and feed from the bowl.

HTH's
  3. Senior Member
    When we introduced solids, we started with oatmeal in the morning. I followed the directions on the box, but, found that it was too much for her. I modified it to just a couple of spoonfuls of oatmeal to 1-3 oz of breast milk/formula. It was really runny at first. As she got accustomed to eating it, I'd make it thicker. She only had cereal in the morning and then an all liquid diet for the rest of the meals at first. I would slowly add more, and then fruits. But, always her last meal was breast milk. We did this because our Ped suggested solids during the day and liquids in the evening.

I would add one fruit and one veggie per day after she'd been eating the cereal for about 2 weeks. She was at level one for awhile. It wasn't a lot that she was eating in solids because she preferred the liquid diet over solids until she was old enough to do finger food. She was an independent eater and wanted to do everything for herself. I didn't have a specific timeline, I'd just add more when she seemed ready.

ETA: Yes, I agree... Do not feed out of the jar. Baby's saliva is designed to break food far quicker/easier than our saliva does.
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Skip cereal its crap for babies and adults.
    Check out baby led weaning. Let him feed himself real food, fruits and veggies. It will teach him to chew not just swallow! No he won't choke.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You guys are fast, thank you! Gonna read through all of these. Boobie*Feeder, if you skip cereal do you still do purees? I have the mesh thingies, so I'm excited to try those out with different fruits and veggies
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    So when I give him cereal (if I do), do I still give him a bottle afterward since it's such a small amount of solids? If I do give him his bottle, do I make it smaller than normal?
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Bottle first. Solids are for fun not food at this age. With my son I skipped cereal and did veggies, my dd skipped mush and did real food.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    Bottle first. Solids are for fun not food at this age. With my son I skipped cereal and did veggies, my dd skipped mush and did real food.
    I agree. Feed him so that he's not starving, and then offer whatever solids you are working with that day so he's in a good mood and willing to try. I actually did it with mine with a feeding they didn't want to sleep after - you'll know Teddy's schedule for that. I didn't do rice either, but I did try oatmeal (which they didn't like) and then barley cereal, which they did like and they didn't have constipation issues with it either. I made sure they weren't allergic to them, then went on to veggies and fruits. I didn't do cereals again for a long time, when they wanted them in the mornings, and then I just mixed it with fruit anyway.

If he seems to not be liking it, keep in mind that it may be a texture thing. Neither of my kids like pureed stuff, they wanted more substance to the food. Mine were also a bit older than Teddy when I started, so I may have missed the window on pureed foods though.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We skipped cereal and went right to veggies Aubs did great that way!
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    for my younger 3 girls I went straight to veggies. and imo do veggies first, those are harder for babies to want. I know a lot of people who did fruits first then their baby refused veggies

Good luck! So exciting
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast