Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastmilk drying up?

1. Senior Member

Breastmilk drying up?

Advertisements
    So I have stopped breastfeeding/pumping 2 days ago, as Matt took to formula better, and preferred it over the breast. I slowly weaned by feeding him one less time a day by breast, and giving him a bottle. At that point, I only pumped once a day, and was at a point where i'd only get 1-2oz/pump. Anyways, I woke up at 3am last night, engorged, and my shirt/bra/pads were soaked through. I am in tons of pain today, and pumped a little for relief. Any suggestions on how to get milk to dry up?

ETA: I am no longer feeding him pumped milk, as I have began taking hormonal BC, and celexa.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I found hot showers helped with a little natural let down and pain relief. I was thinking about it this morning when Glamorous posted her thread about weaning, and day three way my worst day for pain also. I hope it feels better soon.
  3. Senior Member
    The list I have included in my notes for my test on Monday include:
    Wearing a supportive bra constantly
    applying ice packs to the breasts
    Applying chilled cabbage leaves to the breast
    Anti-inflammatory meds like Advil
    Keeping your back to warm water in the shower. Warm water can initiate milk leaking.

Sorry none of these are very 'life changing'. I hope some of the breastfeeding Mommas have some better advice!
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. Moderator

Hot showers work well. Also, expressing just enough to relieve the pressure, but not enough to stimulate more production.

I remember being so uncomfortable. I seriously took some surgical gloves, filled them with water and froze them. Whenever I was mega uncomfortable, I'd put them in my bra. It was like two frozen hands holding my boobs. I felt great though.

Just keep an eye out for engorgement and mastitis. Look for fever, hard bumps, etc. You don't want to get sick too.
  5. Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice ladies! I'm definitely going to try those out, except for the cabbage..yuck. I have ice on right now.
  6. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    I've heard that peppermint can dry up your supply. Maybe get some peppermint essential oils and put some on your breasts? Put like a drop or two in coconut oil or something and rub it on. Do more research though since I'm no expert but I did hear it can dry you up real quick.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14...after-weaning/
  7. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Everyone gave you the suggestions I would've, so I just wanted to offer I hope the pain subsides soon

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen♥ View Post
    Thanks for the advice ladies! I'm definitely going to try those out, except for the cabbage..yuck. I have ice on right now.
    I hear ya on that. I was shocked it was in my textbook along with a diagram on how to insert it into the bra. I always thought it was just an old wives tale.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Honestly, I would really try the cabbage leaves. Those things are amazing! I dried up naturally after 11mos from my self weaner (sounds funny to me ) so I never got engorged but my friend decided to stop and she said those things worked like a charm! I used them on my disgustingly swollen feet during the last trimester and it helped until my pre-e developed.

I hope the pain stops soon
  10. Senior Member
    C.abbage leaves on your breasts. Consuming sage and peppermint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast