Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving baby formula & breastmilk? *Update*

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Help Giving baby formula & breastmilk? *Update*

Advertisements
    So we are having breastfeeding issues... Supply is fine but latching and holding have been tough. Zach has lost about 12% of his weight since he was born (10% is the "limit" they are comfortable with) and when we went to the dr. today she basically told me that we needed to start supplementing for the next few days so he doesn't lose more and other issues start coming up.

Broke my heart. Was happy he refused the bottle the first time, was ok with him taking it the 2nd because he only took .6oz after nursing, but lost it the 3rd feeding because he refused to nurse and took the entire bottle. I had to have DH take him out of the room because I was a mess and just didn't want to watch him suck it down.

While I was sitting in his room sobbing I decided to try and pump to at least simulate and make my body think he was eating. Milk still hasn't come in so I wasn't expecting much of anything to come out. Ended up pumping 1.5oz from each breast of colostrum in 15 minutes, I was ecstatic. Plan on pumping more tonight and feeding him that way and going to bring some to the dr. tomorrow and discuss our options as far as just pumping exclusively vs. trying to feed him from the breast.

And now for the question... Has anyone done or have experience with doing both breast milk AND still give their baby formula? Either giving it together (1/2 BM and 1/2 Formula in the same bottle), or doing BM during the day and formula at night, or anything like that?

**UPDATE**

Had his follow up appointment today, he has gained back 5oz since yesterday afternoon!

We are going to stick with me pumping and giving him what he would get in a reg. feeding via bottle and then offer him up to 2oz of formula after that (not forcing him to have it, just if he wants it) until my milk comes in. At that point we are going to see how his weight does with just breast milk, maybe a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture at his midnight feeding. I feel a million times better, this is working out really well for us!
    Last edited by His*PITA*; 10-06-2012 at 12:44 PM.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't know much about this but I just wanted to offer you .
  3. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

I'm sorry you're upset Sam. Give yourself a bit of a break. You're doing a great job as a new Mommy. I don't have an answer to your question, I bottle fed. BUT no matter the outcome it doesn't make you any more or less of a good Mom.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Joseph had the same issue, we actually refused to supplement. he lost 13% but as soon as my milk came in, his weight shot up. gained over a lb in the second week. Don't give up!
  5. Senior Member
    I have Matt was tongue-tied when he was born, and had a LOT of trouble latching. Also, I had a really strong let down, and he hated it. He wasn't getting enough, and lost excessive weight aswell. I pumped, and gave him 1/2 formula, and 1/2 breastmilk. I ALWAYS breastfed him before offering him a bottle, though. I used Enfamil newborn, and he took to it wonderfully. As of today, he is only on bottles.

Is zach tongue tied? Has your doctor noted why he isn't latching and holding on?
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen♥ View Post
    I have Matt was tongue-tied when he was born, and had a LOT of trouble latching. Also, I had a really strong let down, and he hated it. He wasn't getting enough, and lost excessive weight aswell. I pumped, and gave him 1/2 formula, and 1/2 breastmilk. I ALWAYS breastfed him before offering him a bottle, though. I used Enfamil newborn, and he took to it wonderfully. As of today, he is only on bottles.

Is zach tongue tied? Has your doctor noted why he isn't latching and holding on?
    I have a referral to see another lactation consultant and plan on asking her about a tongue tie but the first two who worked with me while we were in the hospital never said anything about him maybe having one (not that they checked). It was suggested (and I have been) nursing him before offering the bottle, making him "work" for it and all of that, he just isn't getting enough and both the physical pain (had a shallow latch before I was able to meet with the first two consultants and killed my left boob) and the heart break of him screaming was/is more then I could take right now.

I have no issues with giving him bottles, in fact I think it would work better for us and DH is really excited about being able to help with feedings. I just wanna make sure I am not missing some major no-go on giving him both. I still plan on pumping consistently so that my supply stays up and everything, just changing how he gets it.

DH had mentioned it being a possible positive as far as what he gets nutrition wise as well. Will still get all the benefits of BM, but in addition would get the vitamins and benefits of formula that my diet may be missing/lacking.
  7. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?

What sort of latch issues are you having? Is he tongue-tied?

With Henry, I pumped, nursed and supplemented. He went from 9 lbs to just over 7.5 inside of five days due to insufficient milk transfer caused by his anterior and posterior tongue-tie. Posterior tongue-tie is very, very easy to catch and I wouldn't doubt it is the cause of a lot of latch issues. The vast majority of peds are clueless about them and a lot of LCs are not as familiar with them.

Starting at day three I had to supplement with formula or he risked being hospitalized for dehydration. I had no problem supplementing because at that point he absolutely needed it. I only supplemented until I began pumping enough to make up for what he wasn't getting at the breast. Then I switched to part time pumping until the tongue-tie issue was resolved at 11 days. But that only took care of the anterior tongue-tie, not the hard to detect posterior. I broke down when he was three weeks old when he was still just under 1.5 lbs under his birth weight and was declared FTT. It was at that point that I contacted a local LC/tongue-tie expert and began pumping full time until his posterior (and lip) tie were clipped. Only one ENT in the entire ATL metro area is familiar with posterior tongue-ties. Had it not been clipped there would have been no way to exclusively breastfeed him.

There were a lot of struggles for about five months. Pumping was a bitch. Had a lot of struggles with that. When he was 5.5 months old I stopped pumping entirely and returned him to the breast almost full time and supplemented about 10-12 ounces with formula.

More on posterior tongue-tie. Henry exhibited all of the signs, including jaundice.

Stand and Deliver: Posterior tongue-tie
    Pax, Aeon
  8. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    I haven't done that but what I did do when Leo wouldn't latch is my husband went out and bought a nipple shield. He latched on MUCH better with it! I would personally want to stay away from formula if I have other choices to try first. Some people say don't use the shield but it worked well for us AND for my sister who also had the same issue. It did take a couple months to get him off the shield and only on the breast but he now nurses just fine without it and I'm so happy I stuck with it. I went through SO much pain because he had a bad latch but it was definitely worth it. Though when people say that I hated them for it. If I were you I'd try out the shield first and see if it will work for you. When I wanted to get Leo off the shield all I did was patiently (after weeks of using it I tried to get him off) have him eat and when he's really into it I quickly take the shield off and offer him the boob. Sometimes he'd try and other times he'd cry and I'd put the shield back on. Smooshing my boob into his mouth helped a bit as well. Good luck!!!
  9. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Pps have covered a lot but my suggestion is always offer the breast first then do formula after. Also if you do skin to skin and you lean back, with him on your chest and he will find the boob on his own, this will most likely give him a better latch. Also I agree with having him checked for tongue tie now as the older he goes with it the rose things can get.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

What sort of latch issues are you having? Is he tongue-tied?
    He has been refusing my right boob completely for the last 24 hours, I have no idea why. Have tried different holds, positions, ways to offer it to him, more skin to skin, less skin to skin, ect... Plan on having this new LC work with me on that.

He will go to the left no problem and has a strong latch when on that side, but isn't getting enough being fed only from 1 side.

I really am not worried about feeding him from a bottle, like I said before I think that may work better for DH and I. The important part for me is just making sure he gets BM, I don't really have strong feelings as to how he gets it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast