Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Do I have everything I need? Suggestions?

1. Regular Member

Help Do I have everything I need? Suggestions?

Advertisements
    Okay I'm on the downhill run and starting to freak out that I'm forgetting things. She is due at the end of October in Iowa, so weather will be getting chilly. I'm probably going way over-board despite my attempts at not doing that very thing. But for instance, I didn't buy a single one of the carriers/wraps. They were all hand-me-downs. Same with 90% of the clothes. I'm mostly worried about having enough back-ups of things and the breastfeeding/feeding items. Will you moms look over this list and tell me if you think I'm missing anything?

If you have questions on what something is, just let me know. I know there are a million different types of the same thing out there now.

Gear/Nursery
    Crib/Mattress
    Rocker/Recliner
    Dresser/changing table
    Pack N Play
    Diaper Genie
    Humidifier
    Changing Pad/ 1 cover
    Britax B-safe Car Seat
    Britax B-agile Stroller
    JJCole car seat cover (the kind the goes over the top, not underneath)
    Video Monitor
    Graco Sweet Peace Swing

Linens
    3 Aden & Anais Swaddlers (LOOOVE)
    3-4 other blankets
    2 crib sheets
    1 pack n' play sheet
    2 crib protectors (1 quilted, 1 flannel)
    2 bath towels (these are really thin, I would like to find something better)
    6 or 7 wash clothes (mostly I made, 3 were gifted)

Clothes - TONS (I know I'm set here)
    -2 fleece summer infant swaddlers

Feeding

Boppy (3 covers)
    4- 4oz bottles Playtex w/liners
    4- avent 4 oz bottles (from Maternity store handouts)
    3-4 Medela bottles that go with the pump
    1 box of milk storage bags
    1 box of disposable nursing pads
    4 sippy cups (obviously don't need until later)
    1 Formula dispenser (not sure if we will need formula or not)
    About 10 burp rags (some double as bibs though) and maybe 7 bibs
    Medela Pump with new parts
    Lionheart Toddler dishwasher Basket
    OXO dishwasher net

Extras

Bloomin' Bath
    2 soothie passy, 2 nuk passy, 1 avent passy
    4 passy clips
    [/B]Boudroux's Butt Paste
    Desitin
    Mustela body wash, foaming shampoo, lotion
    2 bottles of Live Clean lotion (organic brand from Canada)
    2 packages of size 1 diapers
    1 package and 1 "to-go" package of Whole Foods 365 Brand wipes
    Baby Book
    Various Books and a couple of toys
    Activity Mat
    Really dressy diaper bag
    Travel changer pad
    Moby Wrap
    Baby Bjorn
    Another wrap, similar to the Moby but slightly different
    An over the shoulder sling

Things I feel like I need but I'm not sure about
    More bottles? I want to breastfeed for the first 4 weeks or so, but after that I will need to introduce the bottle for when I go back to work.
    Breastfeeding stuff? Gel pads? Nipple cream? Nursing cover?
    Another changing pad cover?
    A more casual diaper bag for everyday? The one I have DH bought me and it's a Kate Spade all black. I'm so worried about messing it up but it's a diaper bag! It's going to be messy!
    A different bath tub?

I know that as time goes I will need a highchair and a jumper, but Christmas is so soon I don't want to worry about it at this point. I'm sure I sound like a crazy person but I've been working such long hours and trying to get everything organized. DH is rarely ever home so I feel like I don't have anyone to bounce this list off of. Thank you in advance!
  2. Senior Member
    Ok Deep breaths. You will be just fine. You should have at least 5 or 6 receiving blankets. They are thin and can be used as burp rags, blankets, throws to cover while breast feeding, everything!!
    proudarmygrlfrnd and PinkyLee are my WIFEYS!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    What about first aid type stuff? Like a thermometer and the like.

ETA: and those little glove things so the baby doesn't scratch it's face.
  4. Senior Member
    first aid kit with thermometer, nipple butter and maybe a pack of reciveing blankets. Other than that your right chirstmas isn't that far off , and you don't want to , say stock up on paci's or have alot of a certain type a bottle and then have her not take 'em KWIM?
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen2407 View Post
    Ok Deep breaths. You will be just fine. You should have at least 5 or 6 receiving blankets. They are thin and can be used as burp rags, blankets, throws to cover while breast feeding, everything!!
    I know I must sound psychotic but I'm a crazy planner. So I wouldn't be out of line to buy more aden + anais? I looove them but I also don't want to waste money.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    What about first aid type stuff? Like a thermometer and the like.

ETA: and those little glove things so the baby doesn't scratch it's face.
    YES! I need those!! Is there a brand that stays on the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    first aid kit with thermometer, nipple butter and maybe a pack of reciveing blankets. Other than that your right chirstmas isn't that far off , and you don't want to , say stock up on paci's or have alot of a certain type a bottle and then have her not take 'em KWIM?
    I have none of the first aid stuff. Good thinking! I knew I still needed to buy nail clippers, but I had forgotten medicine or first aid stuff. And for the bolded, that was exactly my thinking. I got all the pacifiers as gifts so I figure I can just see what she likes, same for the bottles. I was debating buying one of the Tommee Tippee bottles just to see if she prefers it, but then again, I would rather her use the Playtex so unless she absolutely hates them, I will stick with them. I just prefer the throw away liners.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Get thee some gripe water, stat!
  7. Senior Member
    I'd get another changing pad cover (since I've easily had to change mine twice in a row...), newborn diapers, more wipes, a pack of MAM pacifiers (since none of the ones you listed worked for me or any of my friends' babies), bouncy seat, more disposable nursing pads (I went through 2-3 boxes/month), and some nipple cream.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorous View Post
    I'd get another changing pad cover (since I've easily had to change mine twice in a row...), newborn diapers, more wipes, a pack of MAM pacifiers (since none of the ones you listed worked for me or any of my friends' babies), bouncy seat, more disposable nursing pads (I went through 2-3 boxes/month), and some nipple cream.
    Just realized I have 3 small packs of newborn diapers, and zero size 1's. Just goes to show how much attention I pay! And it's funny you say that about the MAM pacifiers, b/c everyone I know says the Avent soothie's and Nuk's are the best. :laugh I guess it will just depend on the kid! I might pick up a package of MAM's to try too.

Nursing bras! I totally forgot about getting nursing bras! See? This is why I need to make lists!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

At least two changing pad covers, if not three. You need to be able to rotate them while one (or two) is in the wash. Have both newborn and size 1 diapers, just in case you have a bigger baby. Have a car seat base installed in both you and your DH (or whoever may be driving with you and the baby)'s car, so that you can switch cars easily if you need to. Gripe water is a must. Nipple cream, absolutely. I like Motherlove's nipple cream. Disposable nursing pads were a LIFESAVER-- cloth ones, I was changing them every hour and they STILL kept my nipples damp, sore, and bleeding. I tried for 4 weeks to keep it up, then gave in and switched to disposables and literally within 2 or 3 days, nursing was completely pain-free and my nipples were healed and back to normal. The crib protector-- do you mean a crib bumper? Those aren't recommended because of the asphyxiation hazard. Also, we got a couple of diaper bags as gifts-- I've ended up using a 40L pack from REI. Much more efficient for us.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    At least two changing pad covers, if not three. You need to be able to rotate them while one (or two) is in the wash. Have both newborn and size 1 diapers, just in case you have a bigger baby. Have a car seat base installed in both you and your DH (or whoever may be driving with you and the baby)'s car, so that you can switch cars easily if you need to. Gripe water is a must. Nipple cream, absolutely. I like Motherlove's nipple cream. Disposable nursing pads were a LIFESAVER-- cloth ones, I was changing them every hour and they STILL kept my nipples damp, sore, and bleeding. I tried for 4 weeks to keep it up, then gave in and switched to disposables and literally within 2 or 3 days, nursing was completely pain-free and my nipples were healed and back to normal. The crib protector-- do you mean a crib bumper? Those aren't recommended because of the asphyxiation hazard. Also, we got a couple of diaper bags as gifts-- I've ended up using a 40L pack from REI. Much more efficient for us.
    The mattress pad that goes underneath the sheet? I think it's called a mattress pad I was just having a brain lapse last night. We have the base for the car seat and are going to install it in my car this weekend. I'm getting another one before I go back to work for my sister's car. She's going to watch the baby after I go back to work.

Also, I used the motherlove stretch oil and liked that a lot so I'll have to pick up some of the nipple cream.