Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Burping... Teach me your ways!

1. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made

Burping... Teach me your ways!

Advertisements
    The few times I've ever actually been around a baby in my life, I've always sucked at burping them. That hasn't changed. I feel like I'd try for an hour & still not get anything. DH burped him last night but I still can't get anything. I've tried putting him over my shoulder & patting his back or rubbing up his spine, sitting him in my lap & patting his back, & laying him on his stomach. Is it just because he's not gassy or am I doing something wrong? He hasn't spit up or been fussy for no reason so I don't know if he even needs to.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

i dont burp my babies, they just dont need it
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Some babies don't need burp. Generally though dads have better luck because mom=food not burp time. Little Miss hardly ever burped but when she did it was always DH that "got her" to. On occasion she will burp on her own.

If you try for a couple min with no success and he isn't puking he is probably fine to continue eating or go on his way with a new activity.
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by HisByzantineLove View Post
    Some babies don't need burp. Generally though dads have better luck because mom=food not burp time. Little Miss hardly ever burped but when she did it was always DH that "got her" to. On occasion she will burp on her own.

If you try for a couple min with no success and he isn't puking he is probably fine to continue eating or go on his way with a new activity
    This I would usually try for 1-2 minutes after each meal with Landon and if he didn't burp I'd move on and he'd be fine.

5. Moderator

I was always a big fan of sitting them up and burping them. Some babies just aren't big burpers though.

If you ever feel like he is gassy and just isn't getting it out, you can always lay him down and bicycle move his legs. The leg pumping action will help release trapped gas.
  6. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    I was always a big fan of sitting them up and burping them. Some babies just aren't big burpers though.

If you ever feel like he is gassy and just isn't getting it out, you can always lay him down and bicycle move his legs. The leg pumping action will help release trapped gas.

Both of my girls liked to be sitting up when burped. Emma burped almost every time, Maddie didn't. I also found that they would almost rather me rub their backs than pat it.

7. Senior Member
    The only way I could get Xander to burp when he first got home was to lay him on my forearm. Head towards your elbow & the heel of your hand gently pushing up on his belly while you pat his back with the other hand. Now, Xander doesn't always burp after eating. He sometimes burps after crying in the car cuz he sucked in too much air & sometimes I'll pick him up from his crib after a nap & he'll burp in my face with no help from me! Babies are weird......