Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First Trip away from your baby

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

First Trip away from your baby

Advertisements
    Who watched him/her? How well did your child know them? What kind of information did you leave for them?

We're going on a cruise Saturday and leaving C with my in-laws for 5 days. I'm super stressed out about it, but DH had a temper tantrum until I agreed that his fam could watch Caden.
    So far information-wise I've got emergency contacts (doctor, cruise ship, my parents, poison control, hospital), all DS's feeding info (including what NOT to feed), what medicines are okay/not okay, and his sleep/nap schedule.

What am I missing?

PS Please send prayers/goodvibes our way. I am NOT looking forward to this.

ETA: We did get a medical POA for them.

2. Banned
    Banned
    DD was 6 weeks old, she was a close friend and we went to Molokai for 5 days. I just left a medical POA incase something happened and they needed to get her treated at an ER.

DS was about 4 months old and we left him with his grand parents for 7 days to go to vegas, we also just left a POA.
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I've yet to do anything like that, but I would in a heartbeat. I'd leave them with my parents hands down.

As for a list other than what you mentioned? Is there a favorite blanket he has? Is there any way you can sleep with it tonight and give it to him so he has your scent for soothing measures after you leave? How about letting them know what his favorite toy/book are?

I really do think you have everything covered though sweetie. Just take some deep breaths and remember to enjoy yourself, it will be okay

4. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    DD was 6 weeks old, she was a close friend and we went to Molokai for 5 days. I just left a medical POA incase something happened and they needed to get her treated at an ER.

DS was about 4 months old and we left him with his grand parents for 7 days to go to vegas, we also just left a POA.
    Yeah, we did get a medical POA for them. I should've mentioned that in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    I've yet to do anything like that, but I would in a heartbeat. I'd leave them with my parents hands down.

As for a list other than what you mentioned? Is there a favorite blanket he has? Is there any way you can sleep with it tonight and give it to him so he has your scent for soothing measures after you leave? How about letting them know what his favorite toy/book are?

I really do think you have everything covered though sweetie. Just take some deep breaths and remember to enjoy yourself, it will be okay
    He's actually not particular with toys. He'll play with just about anything and really prefers people/pets to toys anyways. I'm sending an exersaucer, his floor mat, and a few random toys as well for him.

5. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    It sounds like you have everything covered.

I left Emma with my in-laws for 2 days when she was 6 months old and about lost my mind. Last month Emma and I flew home to visit family, while DH and Maddie stayed home. We were gone for 5 days and I darn near cried I missed her so much. She can't talk on the phone yet so I was going nuts!

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I haven't done anything like that yet. The longest I've been away from Aubs is like 3 1/2 hours when DH and I went out for a date night. I honestly don't know when the first time will be since we have no family here and she's still breastfed. You're lucky that he's still pretty young, so they won't need too terribly much to entertain him while you're gone. I'm sure that they'll do a wonderful job taking care of him And it really sounds like you've covered all of your bases preparing for this, so go have a great time!
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. Senior Member
    I've never taken a "trip" away from my daughter. The longest I ever left her was for 5 hours so that DH and I could have a date day before he deployed. We got pedicures, lunch and then saw a movie.

To be honest, I wouldn't leave my child overnight yet. She is just starting to wean, and even so, I wouldn't leave her overnight. I wouldn't be comfortable with it. Maybe when she's closer to 18 months or so.
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

YDS was 18mths before I left him over night and if was only for one night and I was still in the same town. ODS was almost 3 and for MDS and dd it was when I was in hospital having babies. I was still in the same town and easy to contact. I don't like leaving my kids even with family

9. in love.
    in love.
    The only people I'd leave my kids with for more than one night are my parents. I don't budge at all with that.

But I am looking forward to the day where we can go on a week long cruise together. I'd leave my kids in a heartbeat. I've been waiting over 3 years for a moment like that. :

The longest I've been away from my son is over night twice. Even then I was calling every moment. DD I have never left alone more than a few hours before.
    hi.
  10. Senior Member
    My kids were pretty young... Not so much Bella but Killian was 5 months old the first time. They stayed with my Mom and Dad for a week. We really enjoy our vacations alone and have found them important in our marriage. We'll leave them with DH's parents once they're a bit older. But right now my Mom is a SAHW so it's easier for them. I think because I spent so much time apart from Bella in and out of the hospital when she was a baby made me less stressed about it later on.