Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Mixing Rice cereal with Breastmilk?

1. Senior Member

Mixing Rice cereal with Breastmilk?

Advertisements
    So Matt has a bit of reflux, sleeps horribly, and spits up a lot. My mom & pediatrician recommended adding a bit of rice cereal into his bottles. (I breastfeed & supplement.) Have you done this before? I'm worried that he may become constipated from it.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I never did this but Wyatt also rarely got bottles so I'm really no help. I do know, however, that this is a fairly controversial topic as to what's "right" and I was told by everyone to under no circumstances NOT put anything into the bottle. Wyatt never had any of those issues, though. The only thing that makes me worry is that rice cereal (and really any infant cereals) are just empty calories and have no nutritional value whatsoever so we never even gave them to him when we started solids.
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Don't put rice in bottles. Even the nicu dr my mom works with song do that unless that baby is losing weight.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Landon had reflux, is there any reason they don't want to treat him for it?

I also heard from a lot of people never to put anything in their bottle, but my pediatrician said it was fine (I never ended up doing it though). Have you tried stopping in the middle of a feeding, burping him, and continuing? Also, try nursing him more upright rather than the standard nursing position (if you nurse). Same would apply if you bottle feed though

When I started giving Landon cereal he got extremely blocked up and literally screamed all night because he had trouble even passing gas. Maybe try some gas drops right after the feeding if you do try out the cereal.

Another random, but since you said you also supplement, have you tried the kind that helps with spit up? If not, maybe give that a try?
    Last edited by *IGrow'EmXL*; 09-30-2012 at 09:07 AM.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    Landon had reflux, is there any reason they don't want to treat him for it?

I also heard from a lot of people never to put anything in their bottle, but my pediatrician said it was fine (I never ended up doing it though). Have you tried stopping in the middle of a feeding, burping him, and continuing? Also, try nursing him more upright rather than the standard nursing position (if you nurse). Same would apply if you bottle feed though

When I started giving Landon cereal he got extremely blocked up and literally screamed all night because he had trouble even passing gas. Maybe try some gas drops right after the feeding if you do try out the cereal.

Another random, but since you said you also supplement, have you tried the kind that helps with spit up? If not, maybe give that a try?
    I have tried everything under the sun for him- and nothing seems to work. The dr has talked about prescribing him medicine, but she also said she doesn't 'believe' they work. (Obv. time to see a new pedi!) I nurse and feed him upright, and burp him in between nursing, and every 2oz from a bottle. He has tried Enfamil gentle ease, and it does not work for him.

Good to know about the cereal, though! I tried it in a bottle last night, and he was still very fussy and would not sleep. Oh weeell.

Thanks for the advice, Ladies!
    :)
    Blog Entries
    My mom put cereal in all our bottle when we were infants...she has 7 of us and we are all fine. Everyone one has different opinions when it comes to cereal in bottles...it just what you are comfortable with. I did it with my girls but never left them alone. ODD spit up all the time even with the AR formula but once she got cereal it wasn't as much.

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

The reflux medicine helped Aubs a bit once we got it, so I recommend that. Also, keeping her inclined instead of laying flat down helped her.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

8. Senior Member
    My Ped told me to do the same with DD and it worked well for her. I say if your ped tells you it's okay and you're comfortable with it go for it! DD ended up on Soy formula soon after and that plus a small bit of rice in her bottles once at night really helped her to start sleeping through the night. And when it was time for her to transition to normal milk she did great!
  9. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    I never did this but Wyatt also rarely got bottles so I'm really no help. I do know, however, that this is a fairly controversial topic as to what's "right" and I was told by everyone to under no circumstances NOT put anything into the bottle. Wyatt never had any of those issues, though. The only thing that makes me worry is that rice cereal (and really any infant cereals) are just empty calories and have no nutritional value whatsoever so we never even gave them to him when we started solids.
    This. I wouldn't do it personally. It's just empty calories and I won't even give it to my son who has already started solids.