Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sitting up yet

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

Question Not sitting up yet

Advertisements
    I know all babies do things at different times, but today C's day care lady made a comment that has me kind of concerned about his development. Caden will NOT sit at all. He definitely won't sit unassisted, and he won't stay propped up for more than a few seconds. Even when he is being held he wants to stand or jump. He is crawling all over the place and trying to stand up (he can't yet, though) but he shows zero interest in sitting. I think he is just too active for sitting. Even in the womb he was constantly in motion.

Should I be concerned or just chalk it up to all babies develop at different times?

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would mention it at the next appointment if you are still worried.
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I would not worry about it. Naomi would not sit unassisted until 6 1/2 months one day it just happened. She wanted to e active. Lol. Every kid is different.
  4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Does he not sit because he can't or because he doesn't want to? Does he slump over because his muscles aren't strong enough, fall over because his balance isn't good, or does he just refuse to stay put? The reason why would determine how concerned I would be.

Kalista sat up all by herself super early (14 weeks completely unassisted for extended periods), but she can't roll on her own very well or crawl at all. She stands really well. The reason for ALL of it is her dysplasia. So, if you are concerned ask. Even babies that are delayed in some areas can do other things early, but if it is something he is going to need extra help doing it's better to know right away.

5. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    Does he not sit because he can't or because he doesn't want to? Does he slump over because his muscles aren't strong enough, fall over because his balance isn't good, or does he just refuse to stay put? The reason why would determine how concerned I would be.

Kalista sat up all by herself super early (14 weeks completely unassisted for extended periods), but she can't roll on her own very well or crawl at all. She stands really well. The reason for ALL of it is her dysplasia. So, if you are concerned ask. Even babies that are delayed in some areas can do other things early, but if it is something he is going to need extra help doing it's better to know right away.
    Well, he refuses to mostly. His balance isn't great, but I'd say the main reason is just because he won't. He gets all squirmy and fussy if you even try to make him sit there no matter what. I've tried putting toys in his hands and all kinds of other things to keep his attention, but he just won't have any of it. The only three times a day that he sits are in his swing (but not for long), in his carseat, and when he is eating his solids. He has a 6 mo appt coming up, so I guess I'll ask his doctor then. His day care teacher just seemed so concerned that he wouldn't sit at all. I really hadn't worried about it before today.

6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    at that age my DS wasnt sitting up either. i dont think he started really sitting up good til like almost 6 1/2 -7 months. I think when they are ready they will do so, as long as its not a significant amount of time where they should be doing it. But it sounds like your baby is on track. my DS is almost 10 months old and doesnt really even crawl yet, he will roll around to get to places but he doesnt actually crawl around lol
  7. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    I worked in a gym childcare for a decent amount of time (4+ years total), and I didn't see too many babies sitting up at 6 months either. Yes a lot of them did, but a lot of them also didn't. I wouldn't be too concerned until your doctor mentions it. Like PPs said, if your Dr doesn't mention it, take it upon yourself to bring it up. Until them, keep working with him to encouraging it

be cool.
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    Well, he refuses to mostly. His balance isn't great, but I'd say the main reason is just because he won't. He gets all squirmy and fussy if you even try to make him sit there no matter what. I've tried putting toys in his hands and all kinds of other things to keep his attention, but he just won't have any of it. The only three times a day that he sits are in his swing (but not for long), in his carseat, and when he is eating his solids. He has a 6 mo appt coming up, so I guess I'll ask his doctor then. His day care teacher just seemed so concerned that he wouldn't sit at all. I really hadn't worried about it before today.
    If he just won't stay put and he is doing other mobility stuff like crawling you probably have nothing to worry about. Try not to stress. The muscles it takes to sit up are also needed to crawl. To test Kalista's balance her therapist put her on one of those yoga balls, sat in front of her and held her hips so she was sitting facing her hen bounced her up and down just a little. Then she would rotate the ball a little to each side and see how well Kalista did with straightening herself out. It's a great way to exercise their back muscles and help them practice balance, and Kalista thought it was SO FUN. I will see if I took a video of it and if I did I will upload it so you can see. I bet it would be awesome to do with him!

9. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I found a video! It's short, but you can see how she is just bouncing her a little and moving in circles to see how well she holds herself straight.
    https://plus.google.com/117746321796662709217/posts

10. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

If you're worried, another thing you can do is try to sit him on your knee and hold him more at his hips than up under his arms so he has to use his "core" muscles to sit up and sitting in your lap might help him sit better by himself than in the floor to practice some and tummy time tummy time tummy time!

Honestly, he's still in the "window" of developing sitting normally; I wouldn't be too worried
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast