Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conflicting info

1. Senior Member

Confused Conflicting info

Advertisements
    I feel like I'm being spun and pulled in so many different directions because they cant make up their mind on what i should do to feed him. I started off ebf but they said my chunker wasnt getting enough food so they forced me to give him formula as well. So i was feeding him from the breast and giving him formula afterwards. When my milk came in i started pumping, and giving him a bottle of breast milk instead of formula afterwards. At his first peds appointment they said now i was feeding him too much, even though i was doing exactly what they told me to do. Now they dont want me to give him the bottle after the breast.

My problem is that i cant keep him awake when he feeds at the boob, he eats, slowly for a bit but ends up falling asleep. I feel like i need to give him half an ounce or an ounce at the bottle after he is done because i cant keep him awake. I dont want to feed him too much but if i dont do that he is hungry again in an hour. I'm at a loss and they keep giving me conflicting advice.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

How old is he now? Like 3 weeks or less? If I'm remembering correctly, then your son's stomach is no bigger than the size of an egg. If he's falling asleep after he's done at the boob you can try picking him up and burping him to wake him or grab at his feet or something like that but if he just doesn't want to wake up, he's likely full and done. Is he having plenty of wet diapers (for the age that I'm thinking he is, it should be around 6 wet diapers and 3 poopy ones, on average)? If he's still wetting plenty then there's nothing to worry about. Also, if he's eating every hour, he's likely going through a growth spurt around this time. Wyatt's growth spurts were hell-like since we EBF I literally felt like as soon as his feeding was done and by the time I changed a diaper, he was hungry again. Once he ups your supply, he'll spread his feedings out.
  3. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    How old is he now? Like 3 weeks or less? If I'm remembering correctly, then your son's stomach is no bigger than the size of an egg. If he's falling asleep after he's done at the boob you can try picking him up and burping him to wake him or grab at his feet or something like that but if he just doesn't want to wake up, he's likely full and done. Is he having plenty of wet diapers (for the age that I'm thinking he is, it should be around 6 wet diapers and 3 poopy ones, on average)? If he's still wetting plenty then there's nothing to worry about. Also, if he's eating every hour, he's likely going through a growth spurt around this time. Wyatt's growth spurts were hell-like since we EBF I literally felt like as soon as his feeding was done and by the time I changed a diaper, he was hungry again. Once he ups your supply, he'll spread his feedings out.
    He is almost two weeks old at this point. He is having more than enough wet and poo diapers everyday, and gaining weight like a champ. I have to start messing with him after about 5 minutes because he starts to nod off, after about 15 he is down for the count. Burping him just puts him to sleep faster I pick him up and bounce him a bit but he still falls asleep a minute later, he is just so hard to keep awake while nursing. When i offer him the bottle after he still seems famished and sucks half an ounce down in no time. When i feed him off just the boob he seems to be hungry after an hour but if i give him the bottle he is good for about 2 hours before feeding again.

I am just frustrated because the pediatrician keeps changing what she wants us to do and i dont want to overfeed or starve my son.
  4. Junior Member
    When I was bf'ing my kids, I would feed completely on demand, especially in the beginning. Yes, sometimes it felt like they were attached to the boob all.the.time! If he has wet and poopy diapers, if he gains weight, I would just go with straight up breastfeeding, even though it can be a bit more demanding, with more frequent feeding. Good luck!!!
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Subwife View Post
    He is almost two weeks old at this point. He is having more than enough wet and poo diapers everyday, and gaining weight like a champ. I have to start messing with him after about 5 minutes because he starts to nod off, after about 15 he is down for the count. Burping him just puts him to sleep faster I pick him up and bounce him a bit but he still falls asleep a minute later, he is just so hard to keep awake while nursing. When i offer him the bottle after he still seems famished and sucks half an ounce down in no time. When i feed him off just the boob he seems to be hungry after an hour but if i give him the bottle he is good for about 2 hours before feeding again.

I am just frustrated because the pediatrician keeps changing what she wants us to do and i dont want to overfeed or starve my son.
    it hard, but stop the bottle. His tummy is the size of an egg. He only really needs 2oz. Straight breastfeed babies nurse more often because they know they need to, to make mom make more milk. (breastmilk work as a supply and demand) Pumping isn't the same as the baby.
    Completely normal for him to nod off while on the boob. Your mlk actually has calming, and sleeping hormones into. The same things dont quiet happen when its coming from a bottle. Just keep messing with him. 15 minutes is a great nursing time. Not all babies are marathon feeders, some are sprinters, and can get done quicker. not all babies are comfort suckers.
    Watch his diapers, and trust in your body!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    it hard, but stop the bottle. His tummy is the size of an egg. He only really needs 2oz. Straight breastfeed babies nurse more often because they know they need to, to make mom make more milk. (breastmilk work as a supply and demand) Pumping isn't the same as the baby.
    Completely normal for him to nod off while on the boob. Your mlk actually has calming, and sleeping hormones into. The same things dont quiet happen when its coming from a bottle. Just keep messing with him. 15 minutes is a great nursing time. Not all babies are marathon feeders, some are sprinters, and can get done quicker. not all babies are comfort suckers.
    Watch his diapers, and trust in your body!
    Ill try it, i wish the hospital hadn't convinced me to do it this way, I had no plans of even giving him a bottle this early. Now my milk supply is threw the roof ill have to try and ween it back.
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    A lot of doctors. nurses and hospitals honestly dont have proper breastfeeding training.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Ill try it, i wish the hospital hadn't convinced me to do it this way, I had no plans of even giving him a bottle this early. Now my milk supply is threw the roof ill have to try and ween it back.
    If you just stick with the breastfeeding, it will regulate itself within a few weeks (I know it can be quite frustrating and even painful when they're really full). Landon always fell asleep about 10 minutes into a feeding when he was a newborn, I would tickle his feet, tickle his face, and if he wasn't done, he'd wake up and eat a little more, but if he was, he'd just stay asleep. Heck, even now at nearly 10 months old, I actually purposely use nursing to put him to sleep It has a calming affect

I'm curious (if you don't want to answer that's fine), but what made them think that you weren't producing enough to start with, and needed to supplement? Was he not having enough wet/poopie diapers?

9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    If you just stick with the breastfeeding, it will regulate itself within a few weeks (I know it can be quite frustrating and even painful when they're really full). Landon always fell asleep about 10 minutes into a feeding when he was a newborn, I would tickle his feet, tickle his face, and if he wasn't done, he'd wake up and eat a little more, but if he was, he'd just stay asleep. Heck, even now at nearly 10 months old, I actually purposely use nursing to put him to sleep It has a calming affect

I'm curious (if you don't want to answer that's fine), but what made them think that you weren't producing enough to start with, and needed to supplement? Was he not having enough wet/poopie diapers?
    He got mildly jaundiced his last day at the hospital so they wanted round the clock feeding with formula because they said my colostrum wasn't enough for him. When my milk came in on his extra day they had me still supplementing him with a bottle after a feeding. I think it stretched his stomach a bit because now he eats about 3oz at a time. Its hard to back track from what they had us do. He was having about six poop diapers a day and is still around that. I'm way over producing from the amount of pumping they were telling me to do, i hope it doesn't take long to back down my supply.
  10. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    He got mildly jaundiced his last day at the hospital so they wanted round the clock feeding with formula because they said my colostrum wasn't enough for him. When my milk came in on his extra day they had me still supplementing him with a bottle after a feeding. I think it stretched his stomach a bit because now he eats about 3oz at a time. Its hard to back track from what they had us do. He was having about six poop diapers a day and is still around that. I'm way over producing from the amount of pumping they were telling me to do, i hope it doesn't take long to back down my supply.
    That's so strange to me because DS was jaundiced for the first week, and they pushed me to keep BFing because they said my colostrum, even if it wasn't a ton, was the best thing for him and his jaundice. I'm sorry you had so many conflicting theories, I know how frustrating it is when one doctor is telling you one thing is better for your child, while another is saying something different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast