Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lactose Overload

1. Banned
    Banned

Lactose Overload

Advertisements
    Do any of BF feeding mama's have any experience with this? All of Cameron's symptoms fit this (excessive spitting up, lots of crying, gas pain, bloating, frequent watery bowel movements with a vinegar odor, etc)

His poor tummy hurts him so much and he screams and screams when he has to fart and poop. When he does poop, it is liquid and he has about 8 poopy diapers a day.

Any tips for getting this issue worked out? Ive started only offering one boob per feeding so he gets the correct amount of fore and hindmilk, but it hurts me to see him in this much pain. Does anyone know when his body will get this all regulated? I miss my happy, not fussy baby.
  2. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I don't think it is a lactose issue. It may be something you are eating but I don't think it is lactose.

Does he have reflux? Does he sleep sitting up? Do you have over active letdown? Does he burp often? Have you tried gripe water for his belly and leg rols for the gas?

The watery stools Naomi had too there.

He may just have a but of colic which sorts itself out with patience, tummy exercises, gripe water, and .
  3. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    watery stools are normal this early, but not that many and not vinegary.

If you think it's lactose just cut lactose out of your diet, or lessen it a lot. There isn't lactose that would cause a problem naturally in breastmilk, just what you eat.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I'm on my Kindle (computer crapped out) so I can't copy in the text, but this link explains what lactose overload is. BabycareAdvice.com Articles: Lactose overload

It's an issue with foremilk -hindmilk imbalance. Basically, he gets too much foremilk and it has a lower fat content, so it passes through his digestive tract too quickly, so the lactose doesn't have enough time to break down completely in his system. It doesn't have to do with me eating dairy (which I don't do)
  5. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    I'm on my Kindle (computer crapped out) so I can't copy in the text, but this link explains what lactose overload is. BabycareAdvice.com Articles: Lactose overload

It's an issue with foremilk -hindmilk imbalance. Basically, he gets too much foremilk and it has a lower fat content, so it passes through his digestive tract too quickly, so the lactose doesn't have enough time to break down completely in his system. It doesn't have to do with me eating dairy (which I don't do)
    Gotcha yea Naomi had that I forgot that was the name /0.

What I did which helped a ton and I still do. Pump first. If you don't have supply issues which sounds like yu don't and are like me. Pump first then nurse. It will help.

I normally ( with my double electric) pump for ten min. Then nurse. Works great.
  6. Senior Member
    I could've written that OP myself, chels! I am in the same boat. I sadly began supplementing with formula a bit to see if it helps him.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HisByzantineLove View Post
    Gotcha yea Naomi had that I forgot that was the name /0.

What I did which helped a ton and I still do. Pump first. If you don't have supply issues which sounds like yu don't and are like me. Pump first then nurse. It will help.

I normally ( with my double electric) pump for ten min. Then nurse. Works great.
    I'm a milk cow, so yeah...no supply issues. Did you give Naomi a binky to hold her over until you were done? Cam acts like we are torturing him in the most horrible way possible if we delay his eating. Such a drama king.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen♥ View Post
    I could've written that OP myself, chels! I am in the same boat. I sadly began supplementing with formula a bit to see if it helps him.
    Well hopefully we can both get some advice on how to fix it! I feel so bad for my little guy. It really breaks my heart seeing him in pain. We have found that gripe water helps a little, so if you haven't tried that...its worth a shot.
  8. Senior Member
    I'm a milk cow, so yeah...no supply issues. Did you give Naomi a binky to hold her over until you were done? Cam acts like we are torturing him in the most horrible way possible if we delay his eating. Such a drama king.

Well hopefully we can both get some advice on how to fix it! I feel so bad for my little guy. It really breaks my heart seeing him in pain. We have found that gripe water helps a little, so if you haven't tried that...its worth a shot.
    I actually haven't tried gripe water with him, however I've tried Mylicon for his gas pains, and it works tremendously! I'll look into the gripe water, though!
  9. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

No Naomi has never taken a binky.i just pumped 10/15 min before I knew she would want to eat. That was she was still pretty happy.if she was napping I would pump before she was ready to wake. Sometimes too it's fine to let them cry it stimulates the milk letdown.
  10. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Jen♥ View Post
    I actually haven't tried gripe water with him, however I've tried Mylicon for his gas pains, and it works tremendously! I'll look into the gripe water, though!
    I like gripe better because it is natural.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast