Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Car seats? Help needed!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Question Car seats? Help needed!

Advertisements
    Alright, so my young (16 year old) cousin had twins a month ago. They are coming home from the nicu maybe next week! We are so excited! I have been visiting them a few times a week and am already in love with them. I was also just asked to be their Godmother which I am beyond excited for!

I was thinking since I am still going to be seeing them all the time, and my cousin doesn't drive, I may be transporting them sometimes to even just get out of the house. While her mom works, she is pretty much stuck in the house all day with no way to get out. So, in thinking about that I decided it would probably be worth it to get carseats for the boys in my car to make things a lot easier. I know that there are some car seats that have a detachable base that might be awesome, since I won't always have them in my car. No one ever sits in the back of my car anyway, so it wouldn't be unrealistic to just keep the bases in the car all the time.

I just don't know where to start with looking. I would ideally like to keep the price down, since I have to get two. Maybe 200-300 for both? If that's possible. They are boys, so maybe one that has neutral pattern? Of course I want it to be super safe! And maybe a convertible one? I will have the rule that they stay rear facing for as long as possible, even past age/weight requirements. Also, my car is tiny, I have a Mazda 3 hatchback, so I hope I can fit 2 in the back seat.

I know that's super picky of me, but I hope there is something out there that can fit what we need. It would just make life a lot easier for her and me I think. Thanks to anyone that can help!
  2. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    PM airmanssweetie. She is MSOS's carseatologist. There are also stickies on Careseat safety in the Military Families section - New Moms (great info to print out for the new mommy). I am sure other members will give you their advice and recommendations, as well.

on the twins. I bet they are adorable.
  3. Senior Member
    We have a Mazda 3. I'd go for an infant seat of some sort personally, especially with a preemie and a small car. We had a Graco Snugride. You can pay a little more for a higher weight one that will last longer. I want to say Bella used hers until about 17 months.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

For me, I would get two convertible ERF'ing carseats so they last much longer and you won't have to go out and buy two MORE in about a year (or less) and they can be in them all the way through forward facing until they need booster seats. I had a Mazda 6 so I think just a little bigger than the 3 and we could comfortably fit two convertible seats in the back of that on each side. I have the Graco MyRide 65 for Wyatt and we LOVE it. When baby #2 comes along, we'll be buying a second one and might skip the infant seats all together (those are the ones that are detachable from the base like you were talking about). It's a big seat but fairly easy to install in comparison to a few other convertibles that I used while nanny'ing and it just feels so safe and secure. I think I paid about $125 with a 20% coupon at Babies R Us and they almost always have coupons so you could get two for about $250.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks guys! I will definitely check those out! I am glad to have somewhere to start!
  6. Senior Member
    Yeah. It's definitely preference. I hated the convertible seats when Bella was a baby. We tried it initially and bought a new seat as soon as we got her home. I couldn't get a good recline in my car and she was only 5lbs when we brought her home. It just didn't feel as safe as the incapsulating infant seats for me.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Yeah. It's definitely preference. I hated the convertible seats when Bella was a baby. We tried it initially and bought a new seat as soon as we got her home. I couldn't get a good recline in my car and she was only 5lbs when we brought her home. It just didn't feel as safe as the incapsulating infant seats for me.
    Yup, total preference Pretty much all the time, we took him out of the carrier and I wore him in the Moby so the ability to move the seat out was really not worth it and then by the time he got to 5mos (13lbs), the seat just got too heavy to move around so it was worth it to buy the big seat that just stayed put any way (plus with the coupon and I think it might have been $10off marked down, the price was right).