Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spitting up?

1. Banned
    Banned

Spitting up?

Advertisements
    Starting yesterday, every drop of milk that goes in Cameron's tummy gets spit up. When is his spitting up excessive? I get that babies spit up a lot, but he hardly ever spit up...and now it's multiple times with every feeding.
  2. Senior Member
    i'm not a mom by far.

but my friend baby ALWAYS spits up, the Dr told her it was b/c baby has acid reflux. He was spitting up after every feeding, instead of a burp u cld count on a spit bath The dr then put him on gentlease formula, that seemed to help him, but not stop it completely. Today baby is 6months old, 29in long and 23pounds....so even with his spitting up he's getting fed
    " u know those things that are like candy canes that taste like christmas in ur mouth what are those called?" " umm candy canes?" "Yeahhhh" R.I.P Christian

907Kim is my wifey
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Honestly, it was right around a month that Landon started doing that regularly. It turned out that he has acid reflux and needed to be medicated.

That being said, spitting up is normal. When it becomes worrisome would be if he's not keeping enough down that he's no longer producing around 8 wet diapers daily.

4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    Honestly, it was right around a month that Landon started doing that regularly. It turned out that he has acid reflux and needed to be medicated.

That being said, spitting up is normal. When it becomes worrisome would be if he's not keeping enough down that he's no longer producing around 8 wet diapers daily.
    Of course. DH was actually diagnosed with acid reflux disease yesterday, so now I wonder. He's been having some bad gas pains all week, is that a sign of acid reflux also?
  5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Him being in pain could be from reflux. He could also have silent reflux if the pain goes away but the spitting up doesn't. Try propping him up for at least a half hour after each feed, stop every ounce to burp, and call your doctor if you are worried!

6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    Of course. DH was actually diagnosed with acid reflux disease yesterday, so now I wonder. He's been having some bad gas pains all week, is that a sign of acid reflux also?
    The most common signs of it are obviously, the spitting up (which actually caused DS to overeat, and spit up more ) Due to the spitting up, it caused his throat to be sore, so he just wanted to nurse all the time to soothe his throat, but his tummy just wasn't big enough to hold it all. So even though it's rare for BF babies to not overeat, it can happen when there's other underlying reasons.

Another thing to look out for is if he arches his back while he's eating. A few other symptoms can be difficultly sleeping lying down (they like to be inclined), frequent hiccups, and wet burps. Again, he might have all of these or none of these. Some babies have "silent" reflux (meaning you wouldn't have even noticed if they were constantly spitting up). Heck, it might not be reflux at all, but it is more common than you'd think in young babies, so it never hurts to stay informed and keep a look out, kwim?

You can try nursing him, and half way through, stopping to burp him, and then continue, and burp him again afterwards. That seemed to help DS sometimes.
    Last edited by *IGrow'EmXL*; 08-21-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: needed to rephrase

7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    Him being in pain could be from reflux. He could also have silent reflux if the pain goes away but the spitting up doesn't. Try propping him up for at least a half hour after each feed, stop every ounce to burp, and call your doctor if you are worried!
    He is EBF. We burp after every side though.

I thought maybe he was sensitive to lactose (my mom and I both are) and I had to have some chocolate milk yesterday morning for my blood sugar, but it has continued into today and I haven't had any dairy.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Are you bf or ff?
    Joseph spits up after every single feeding, but is never fussy. Every time I brought it up, the doctor said since there is no fussyness during feeding that she would not call it acid reflux. BUT I cut out all caffeine and the spitting up got slightly better.
  9. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.

I thought maybe he was sensitive to lactose (my mom and I both are) and I had to have some chocolate milk yesterday morning for my blood sugar, but it has continued into today and I haven't had any dairy.
    It's still possible that it could be a lactose intolerance. Milk protein takes 10-21 days to work its way completely out of your BM.

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would make a point to avoid dairy for another 24 hours and see if that chocolate milk is what caused it. From Kellymom: There's no set time limit that a food has to pass into BM it could take as little as an hour or up to 24 hours, just depends on the mother. He very well could be sensitive to the dairy from yesterday.

I do hope he feels better and if you're worried, no shame in calling the ped
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast