Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Feeding my 9 month old...

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Feeding my 9 month old...

Advertisements
    Next week my baby turns 9 months old! I can't believe it, he's come such a long way!

Anyway, I really need some suggestions on feeding my 9 month old boy. Right now he's obviously still on formula, he is drinking about 6oz (sometimes less because of the heat right now) every 3 hours. He sleeps through the night, bedtime at 730-8pm and wakes up around 6am. Right now I am only feeding him baby food (stage 2 purees) twice a day. Once for breakfast and once in the evening. Sometimes he will skip a formula feeding when he eats his purees and sometimes he wants a bottle afterwards. I really dont think he is ready for anything beyond purees. I have been carefully experimenting since he is VERY interested in whats on my plate and what others are eating. He also has two bottom teeth. I have tried him on those cookie biscuits and he loves it but when it crumbles he starts to gag, also I have tried small fruits and he again starts to gag. I've tried a french fry to munch and like I said before he loves it but he starts to gag and I quickly take it away. Im watching him carefully when I try these foods as well.
    Can I get some tips on what to give him beyond purees? or should I wait til hes ready. Should I start feeding him more purees? For some reason I just feel lost, and im scared hes going to have a hard time dropping the formula when that time comes.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I should also mention he gets water in a sippy cup during the day too.
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Food before a year is only for play and taste not nutrition so I would just wait until he is ready.

My daughter didn't have any solids until 7 months because she was not ready, we also do baby led weaning and I don't do puréed food, she has what I have. Once she was ready for it she would munch it up. Sometimes she has a little trouble and we make it smaller.

She is almost nine months old and nurses then has little bites when I eat and she has a cup of water she drinks through the day when she finds it.

I wouldn't stress about him not wanting solids yet and when his system is ready he will begin shying away from formula. Every babe is different.
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Definitely follow his lead. You best bet is to wait until he seems to be actively learning to chew. DS literally eats anything soft these days (whole string beans, cooked carrots, pasta, little munchies cheetos things ). That's only because he's been "chewing" since 6 months old. Still scared the crap out of me when introducing solids (still does now and then ). There was a lot of gagging in the beginning, but that didn't last very long.

If you want to try to incorporate something that will cause him to work on chewing maybe try Stage 2 1/2 baby foods. I found Beech Nut baby foods have a 2 1/2 stage that has very small chunks, but not nearly as intimidating as the stage 3.

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks I ll have to look in the store for the stage 2 1/2, Im too scared to start stage 3 so maybe that will help me
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Have you tried putting chunks of food in the netted things? That way, he can experiment with flavor without gagging on the chunks.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan